2024 NHL Draft: WE DID IT, CELEBRINI IS OURS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Now that we know the #1, we have to think about the 5th overall pick and then the 14th. Surely the Canadiens will go defensemen right? Or Iginla to really increase their forward toughness?
Canadiens have pretty much said they are drafting a forward.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Now that we know the #1, we have to think about the 5th overall pick and then the 14th. Surely the Canadiens will go defensemen right? Or Iginla to really increase their forward toughness?
I think it's very unlikely the Habs go for d-man unless there is someone they absolutely love. Most Habs fans want Demidov or Lindstrom. Apparently Habs management has met with Iginla a few times now. Hard to say, but I'd be wanting a forward at #5.

I'm hoping an interesting forward falls to #14, but would be just as happy with a d-man. I haven't been really tuned into hockey as much this year though, so I'd defer to people who watch prospects more.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I think it's very unlikely the Habs go for d-man unless there is someone they absolutely love. Most Habs fans want Demidov or Lindstrom. Apparently Habs management has met with Iginla a few times now. Hard to say, but I'd be wanting a forward at #5.

I'm hoping an interesting forward falls to #14, but would be just as happy with a d-man. I haven't been really tuned into hockey as much this year though, so I'd defer to people who watch prospects more.

I don't believe you! I thought that last year too and they totally shocked me by passing on Michkov, Leonard, Dvorsky, Benson, and Nate Danielson to take a d-man that even Carey Price was too shocked about that he mispronounced his name lol

Reactions: CanadienShark

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I have a good friend in Boston who was a college player and knows his stuff. He said he went to all the BC BU games for the drama and to watch Perrault (since he's a rags fan). Here's what he said to me about Celebrini:

"Perrault was invisible on the ice with Celebrini out there. Like, I didn't know any players numbers but Celebrini was so noticeably a bigger presence out there it was obvious who he was."

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I really still can't believe this happened. It's probably the endorphins, but he's truly an excellent center to build the team around, and Smith has a chance to be an incredibly strong 2C.

Stylistically, I'm a bigger fan of Macklin than Fantilli or even Carlsson, who I wanted to fall to us last year. He's such an active center, smart where Fantilli sometimes felt like a bull rusher, more size and muscle but less high IQ play.

I know Bedard is generational and already has a top 5 shot in the NHL, but I am hoping (and think it's possible that) in 5-8 years time, you might be able to make a reasonable argument that Celebrini is a better 1C to build your team around. A long shot, probably, but not entirely impossible.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I don't believe you! I thought that last year too and they totally shocked me by passing on Michkov, Leonard, Dvorsky, Benson, and Nate Danielson to take a d-man that even Carey Price was too shocked about that he mispronounced his name lol
Michkov was the only surprising one to most Habs fans, but even then, the signs were already there that we may not take him. Reinbacher was drafted around where we expected.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I really still can't believe this happened. It's probably the endorphins, but he's truly an excellent center to build the team around, and Smith has a chance to be an incredibly strong 2C.

Stylistically, I'm a bigger fan of Macklin than Fantilli or even Carlsson, who I wanted to fall to us last year. He's such an active center, smart where Fantilli sometimes felt like a bull rusher, more size and muscle but less high IQ play.

I know Bedard is generational and already has a top 5 shot in the NHL, but I am hoping (and think it's possible that) in 5-8 years time, you might be able to make a reasonable argument that Celebrini is a better 1C to build your team around. A long shot, probably, but not entirely impossible.

I’m in the same boat. I was young and didn’t really follow the team when we got Marleau, so to experience the drafting of our future 1C feels surreal and wildly exciting. I love that this also takes the pressure off Smith and can let him flourish.

There’s a world where if both players reach their ceiling; we’ll have 2 1Cs leading this team - both dynamic and skilled in different ways…

…and we’ve still got Musty, Eklund, and whoever we pick at 14 AND two 1st rounders next season.

It’s just awesome. What I really want next is a our defenseman version of Macklin.

JTB1974

Oct 16, 2022
If Zayne Parekh falls to 10 or so I would try to trade up and grab him. Offer #14 and one of our 2nd's. He had 96 points in 66 games last season and 33 goals as a Dman. I have heard someone compare his play to Erik Karlsson. Now like EK his defense needs work but also like EK his offense makes up for it.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
If Zayne Parekh falls to 10 or so I would try to trade up and grab him. Offer #14 and one of our 2nd's. He had 96 points in 66 games last season and 33 goals as a Dman. I have heard someone compare his play to Erik Karlsson. Now like EK his defense needs work but also like EK his offense makes up for it.
Parekh has the profile of EK in that he's a highly offensively minded and skilled defenseman, but he doesn't have EK's skating.

I already wouldn't build a team around an EK profile (or EK himself) so I'm not particularly excited about trading up for Parekh.

For me it's either the lucky unlikely scenario that Yakemchuk falls far enough to try to trade for him, or we pick Sennecke/Chernyshov/MBN/Eiserman (currently in that order for me).

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I have a legitimate question. The Sharks have Luca Cagnoni who just put up a similarly incredible offensive defensive year in the WHL. Besides for the age difference and couple inches in height, how does Zanye compare to Luca?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I have a legitimate question. The Sharks have Luca Cagnoni who just put up a similarly incredible offensive defensive year in the WHL. Besides for the age difference and couple inches in height, how does Zanye compare to Luca?
Cagnoni was effectively two years older than Parekh and he’s three inches shorter as well. Plus every time Nem watched him he was meh. Parekh is a different class of prospect.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad