GDT: 2024 NHL Draft (Time and place TBA)

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Parekh & Yakemchuk likely won't be within range absent a bold trade up. Not sure Kivi has that in spades. Jiricek at present also doesn't. Those later two would help and be decent but high quality PPQBs are hard to find. By all means they ought to be aggressive in landing something closer to legit impact talent, whether that's trading up or trading out.

Overall they need competitiveness in every sense. Leonard was prototypical in that regard but they need more across the board. MBN has it but may be just slightly outside their range as well. Greentree would be my current guess at 17, though more as a finesse upside play with size than a true two-way stud.

The guy that probably fits that criteria the most otherwise is Surin. If they think he'll stick at center and are prioritizing that sort of consistency and IQ then 17 would maybe be a bit bold but conceivable. If they're being realistic then they really need to take consistency and leadership into very heavy consideration given what's unavoidably to be a pending transitional stage. They can't overvalue it but the time of them just spamming finesse Euro wingers to throw into an existing powerhouse are over. They need foundational building blocks.
Yeah I'd be surprised if they weren't both gone. I like Mews a lot but he might be a little bit of a reach at 17. We'll see come draft time who the risers are that could push people down or Mews up. Hard to say right now but there are a boatload of D in the top 10-15 of the draft and teams that are prioritizing offense might push someone we weren't expecting down. That's my hope anyway!

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Stigga please.

(It's one g.)

Against Latvia in a blowout, tho. We'll see what's what in the knockout stages.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Doing the Michigan up 6-1 is kindof a douche move. He would get f'ed up in the NHL pulling that stunt.
Where are the St. Louis Cardinals, the defenders of Unspoken Rules, to teach young Connolly a lesson.

Realize that goal scored matters in this tourney unless I'm completely wrong.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Not sure why you're going to bat for this kid. Connelly is indeed trash, and has bounced rapidly from org to org as a result of his trash behavior.
He just turned 18. He made mistakes and who here hasn't when he was 16 or 17 (you know maturity or lack there of). I guess then we're all trash.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
He just turned 18. He made mistakes and who here hasn't when he was 16 or 17 (you know maturity or lack there of). I guess then we're all trash.
It's not like there aren't literally thousands of other draft eligible hockey players who haven't posted swastikas online and been suspended for using racial slurs.

Plenty of us make mistakes, sure. But most of us aren't being paid millions of dollars to be in the public spotlight playing a children's game. Being in the NHL is a privilege, not a right. It's not wrong for us to want the players in the NHL to be held to a higher standard, and that counts for prospects as well.

Reactions: RedRocking

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Have to believe they'll prefer either trading up for a slider or moving the pick for immediate help. Conceivable Connelly could be BPA at 17 but is another winger, a relatively light one at that, really the ticket? They need foundational talents. While Connelly does have some defensive effort in him they probably ought to be trading this pick one way or another.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
It's not like there aren't literally thousands of other draft eligible hockey players who haven't posted swastikas online and been suspended for using racial slurs.

Plenty of us make mistakes, sure. But most of us aren't being paid millions of dollars to be in the public spotlight playing a children's game. Being in the NHL is a privilege, not a right. It's not wrong for us to want the players in the NHL to be held to a higher standard, and that counts for prospects as well.
The self-righteous scream judgements against others to hide the noise of skeletons dancing in their own closets.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Or, you know, to not celebrate racist pricks.
It's almost like this is an entertainment product and it's not especially fun supporting and defending people you personally don't support.

The self-righteous scream judgements against others to hide the noise of skeletons dancing in their own closets.
So... the "I know you are but what am I" defense? Anybody less willing to compromise their morality for an entertainment product is being "self-righteous" because they've obviously got something to hide, not just because they have a distaste for something?

How is it that you can give no shits or be self-righteous but there's no ground in between for "oh, I don't care for that and would prefer they not do it"? And why are you deciding that people are being self-righteous by explaining that distaste?

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Sure, we’ve all been young, and done stupid things. However, participating in forms of hate speech isn’t your typical childhood mistake. It’s emblematic of some kind of intolerance - or, at best, evidence of gross ignorance.

People can absolutely be redeemed and learn from their mistakes. But, the Caps are an entertainment product. If our FO invests in a kid a like this, it diminishes the whole organization IMHO. My enthusiasm to support their product would likewise be diminished. I wouldn’t be able to root for a player with that kind of history.

I’ll get off my old guy soapbox. But, I’ve just held my tongue for a while on this kid, as it pisses me off. This hits personally given my heritage - so I can’t pretend to be objective here. Still, there has to be a line somewhere. Let some lesser org take him on.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
It's not like Connelly just made one or two mistakes. He has been asshole that has bounced around his entire young career because of it.

It's not just an apology or two that's needed from him. He needs to change who he is as an human being. He can redeem himself sure. Has he done that? I don't know.

Too big of a risk for me. He has changed his teams more often than his shoes. There is a good chance he'll be available again in the future even if you don't draft him.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Sennecke with 1+1 as Oshawa is a win away from the OHL final. 19 points in 13 playoff games now playing alongside Calum Ritchie. Have to believe he'll go top 15 and has essentially joined the top tier group.

Last edited:
Reactions: usiel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad