Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
How much are people watching Tij Iginla? I see he’s off to a good start in Kelowna. He’s listed as a centre. Last year i saw him playing the wing in Seattle.

We could have Jarome watching him in Vancouver and say hey there’s Iggy’sPop. Calagarypuck would go nuclear.
Can we draft him to force Jerome to wear a Canucks jersey

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Cole Eiserman is scary good...made Ty Gallagher look like he was standing still as he flew by him off the rush. 1G + 1A already vs BU 8mins into the 1st period.

*edit* - What. A. Release. Eiserman just scored his 2nd of the period...the USNTDP U-18 squad is up 3-0 over BU with 4:30 left in the 1st.

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I'm not joking when I shout about Simon Zether. Last year it was Reinbacher and, when it became clear that he was going to go much higher than the Canucks will pick, Willander.

6'3'' 187lb Swedish centre. 38 points in 37 games in the jr. league last season. 18 points in 12 so far this year with 3 SHL games under his belt.

Pronman: 20th overall

Zether is a 6-2 right-shot center who has very good puck skills, can create offense for others and works hard at both ends of the ice. His only downside is a heavy skating stride, but otherwise, there are a lot of appealing pro elements in his game.

Wheeler: 25th overall

One of the older players on this list as an October 2005, Zether’s profile so far reflects his age, with a point-per-game J20 season and appearances at U18 worlds and the World Jr. A Challenge all already under his belt, plus pro size to work with. I expect him to play games in the SHL this season. His game is an intelligent one built on plus-level vision, a head that’s always up, and hands that control the puck smoothly (particularly noteworthy for a player his size). He’s got work to do to get a little quicker but he knows where to be, he understands spacing, he reads the game at a high level, he’s got some skill, and he’s a right-shot center who plays a reliable game.

He would have been heavily scouted by the Canucks last season since he was teammates with Willander. Downsides are his speed and he's old for the draft. However, a right-shot centre with size and high hockey-IQ is something teams jump on. Canucks have shown a willingness to take on players with these traits (Raty) and have a strong preference for Swedes and players with size. Definitely someone to watch.

Reactions: Jay26

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I can say i am merely whelmed by this OHL draft class, beyond Dickinson.

Going to start focusing more on the WHL starting tonight. Curious about Lindstrom, reading here+Habs board and watching those highlights, it appeared like he would be a sure-fire top 5 pick, but then on the prospects board, they say he has major IQ issues. Will be keeping a close eye on this and him.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
1.Gavin McKenna(2026) is just wow and only 15.

2.Lindstrom - Initial impressions

- Easy top 10 kinda player. Has quite a few wow moments per game, the kind that gets you out of your seat.
- Not sure why someone had concerns on the main board about his skating. I don't see an issue, i'd say a plus-skater for 6'4", edgework and top speed (i stuck with that 6'4" measurement bc thats what the announcers keep saying).
-Looks to me like a center version of Brady Tkachuk, thats a player that will go high. Lindstrom simply manhandles players at this level, saw him throw a few guys down along the boards or open-ice with ease. One hit last night vs Vancouver looked downright punishing.
-Defense - Its ok, but wish he showed the same urgency he does offensively. With his wingspan and acceleration, i feel he could disrupt more plays than he does. Currently isn't used on the PK. When he supports down low, he is a force and good/safe things happen. But at times, he seems very eager to blow the zone like a winger.
-Offense - very skilled. Unlucky not to score last night, credited with 11 dangerous shots. I think he can work on his shot, gain more leverage and velocity. I don’t really see this low iq/ tunnel vision, only really one instance I saw where I could say he should have passed when he did a big loop of the off.zone and skated into opponent, losing possession.
-Discipline - I think the one valid concern from the main boards I saw happen. Against Victoria, he drove the net, got pulled down and thought it deserved a penalty. Got back to his feet and two hand chopped a Royal. Then ran at another Royal and hit him in the numbers.

3. Basha - like his high energy, two-way game. Also find him very unselfish.

4. Yakemchuk - not sold yet. Does not seem very natural on the PP, imo. Looks like the coach put Aaron Rome on PP1 and is just hoping for the best. Again early impression, but I don’t see him playing PP in the NHL. But I think more concerning is his passing and zone exits. His outlet pass and passing in general looks low percentage a lot of the time. Also defensively, he commands the boards with his physical nature, but loses his coverage elsewhere fairly often. Last night 3 vs 3 in OT… loses his man, leading to the GWG. Any thoughts on him?

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Really like Leo Sahlin Wallenius and Alfons Freij. Will watch more of them but great skating smart activating dmen. I’d imagine they will be risers.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Pronman's 2024 rankings.

Tier 1: Bubble elite NHL player and NHL All-Star
1) Macklin Celebrin - C - 6'0'', 190lbs - NCAA

Tier 2: NHL All-Star
2) Anton Silayev - LD - 6'7'', 211lbs - KHL
3) Cole Eiserman - LW - 5'11'', 197lbs - NTDP

Tier 3: Bubble All-Star and top of the lineup player
4) Artyom Levshunov - RD - 6'2'', 208lbs - NCAA
5) Ivan Demidov - RW - 5'11'', 181lbs - KHL
6) Carter Yakemchuk - RD - 6'2'', 190lbs - WHL

Tier 4: Top of the lineup player
7) Berkly Catton - C - 5'10'', 170lbs - WHL
8) Adam Jiricek - RD - 6'2'', 178lbs - Czechia
9) Sam Dickinson - LD - 6'2'', 204lbs - OHL

Tier 5: Bubble top and middle of the lineup player
10) Cayden Lindstrom - C - 6'3'', 210lbs - WHL
11) Konsta Helenius - C - 5'10'', 180lbs - SM-liiga
12) Zayne Parekh - RD - 6'0'', 178lbs - OHL
13) Charlie Elick - RD - 6'3'', 200lbs - WHL
14) Nikita Artamonov - LW - 5'11'', 187lbs - KHL
15) Michael Brandsegg-Nygard - RW - 6'1'', 194lbs - Allsvenskan
16) Zeev Buium - LD - 6'0'', 183lbs - NCAA
17) Matvei Shuravin - LD - 6'3'', 195lbs - MHL
18) Igor Chernyshov - LW - 6'2'', 192lbs - MHL

Tier 6: Middle of the lineup player
19) Aron Kiviharju - LD - 5'9'', 170lbs - SM-liiga
20) Cole Hutson - LD - 5'9'', 158lbs - NTDP
21) Eric Emery - RD - 6'3'', 185lbs - NTDP
22) Sacha Boisvert - C - 6'2'', 178lbs - USHL
23) Dominik Badinka - RD - 6'3'', 183lbs - SHL-Jr.
24) Leo Sahlin Wallenius - LD - 5'11'', 176lbs - SHL-Jr.
25) Trevor Connelly - LW - 6'0'', 156lbs - USHL
26) Adam Jecho - C - 6'4'', 201lbs - WHL
27) Henry Mews - RD - 6'0'', 183lbs - OHL
28) Ryder Ritchie - RW - 5'11'', 175lbs - WHL
29) Maxim Masse - RW - 6'1'', 192lbs - QMJHL
30) Tanner Howe - LW - 5'9'', 182lbs - WHL
31) Liam Greentree - RW - 6'2'', 211lbs - OHL
32) Will Skahan - LD - 6'4'', 211lbs - NTDP
33) Matvei Gridin - RW - 6'1'', 185lbs - USHL

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
To me, this is shaping up to be another above-average draft. It'll be a lot less interesting for the Canucks though, as they won't have a top-half pick in the first round.

Reactions: Fraser28 and Vector

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I have now caught 5 games of Yakemchuk, he wasn't as bad as the first 2 i caught but my goodness, still his highs are high, and his lows are supremely low. I'm talking the lows of NHL Sbisa and Myers; absolute pizzas and shades of Myers decision making/misreads. I would not feel comfortable taking him in the top 10.

Also meh about Elick. Kind of a bland defender who also makes mistakes (some poor pinches), isn't that physical for his size, and shows near nothing offensively. I'm not sure how he is holding his ranking right now.

I've gone back and watched some Missy Steelheads games, Fibigr is impressive. I don't know how he and Mews are so far apart on peoples' lists or in different tiers, and ranked below Elick. He should be higher. He's on the top PP and PK, doing well on both. He is assertive and plays bigger than his size.

Don't agree with Pronman about most things, but Ritchie has only been okay in my viewings. I still think Basha is underappreciated. He simply plays a pace not matched by many of these wingers, he's creative and shifty. But also has a well rounded game, playing on PK1 most of the time. Also no Iginla, where is he? He shows quite nice power moves and of course his shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: supercanuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad