2024 NHL Draft Thread - Upd: Draft Lottery is May 7th

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Team USA added him to the roster for World Championships. If he is getting added to the roster instead of left off, it goes to show that the character issues are a thing of the past. Take him if he is there with the TB pick. He is going to be a stud in the NHL and a perfect fit for the next wave of high-speed Hawks.
Could you imagine Lindstrom + Connelly?

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Was reading an article on Levshunov from EPrinkside. Sounds like Michigan states style of play was part of the issue with his high turnover rate. If the Hawks take him I wonder if they try to get him to Rockford next season rather than another year at MSU.

His tools are so ridiculous, he has everything you want in a franchise 1D. I just worry about him developing those bad habits playing at MSU again.

Reactions: Castle8130

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Everything you want in a dman BUT "bad habits"...sounds like $9.5 (lol)...so when Zayne Parekh turns into a 90+ ponts guy like Quinn Hughes guy you are going to laud a 2bd $9.5 who will get only 50-60 IF that points and still has "bad habits" ...

Conebon...use your brains..

Levshinov ov ONLY has size and strength over Parekh..but I am not worried ..P
arekh will add weight ..He is nitborobevto "bad habits"..

You could Maybe say Levshunov because of size and weight that Levshunov e ready to bang with the NHL pros NOW..but notsure he leaves MSU after just 1 season anyway...Parek will be bach in the OHL next season add more weight and then be ready for the pros after next season..He already had historicOHL numbers (93) point regular season and a terrific +/-..

I am just saying Parekh is a special talent....you do not pass on that .

BLAMING THE MSU system for "bad habits" is idiotic..

If anything the Saginaw system discourages Parekh from doing over-risky things all the tinec..He has concentrated this season in improving his defensive game and he has ..He is very judicious when he makes his attacks...Not wild or reckless.. IF he was reckless as Quinn Hughes WAS in his draft year , he would be rightfilly labeled as just an offebseman ...Parekh could havehad a 130 point season if he only went attack alk thetine ..But he was more restrained and still put up 93 points in his regularxseason.

I just think Parekh is a no brainer for superior upside while Levshunov might only have 2nd pairing RD ceiling ...better than Connor Barfy of course ...Barfy is slow and not very agile..and he has zero offense. LEVSHUNOV I see as a safe 50-60 ponts NHL dman ..but NOT a potebtial top of the heap game changing dman .. Oarekh has tgat higher ceiling to be like Hughes...a top 5 NHL points producing dman ..

Parekh is a superior goal scorer...the best dman goal scorer in this draft(Yakemchuk is a close 2nd best) ...

Now Levshunov has a very good hard point shot that he scores most of his goals from...long range goals from the point ..But Parekh 's deceptiveness and elusiveness let's him skate past checkers into clear lane intermediate range shooting areas 12-15 feet out from the net where he can fire his deadly writer.. ThisvOS a totally different goal scoring style than a mere blast from the point ..

I worry that facing better NJL shot blockers who knows of Levshunov longer ranger shotsceven get through...but Parekh's ability to endure checkers and get the puck to a clear path 12-15foot shot should give him top level goal scoring for a dman evenni the NHL..this is why his production ceiling is higher.

I am in the camp th with more added weight i tn time and teaching +nhl game experience,Oarekh can be a Duncan Keith defensively with a goodxstock ...but with far greater offensive production and goal scoring than Keith ever produced.

To sum up : Levshunov a good RD floor and ceiling is maybe a top10-15 NHL best RD potential value. When hevpeaks.

.Parekh =top 3-5 NHL RD ceiling when he peaks ...so unlike Pronman I put Oarekh one tier above Levsuinov.

We differ in nour evaluations of the potential ceilings.

Abd this assumes Levshunov cleans uo his "bad habits".

Reactions: Muffinalt

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Was reading an article on Levshunov from EPrinkside. Sounds like Michigan states style of play was part of the issue with his high turnover rate. If the Hawks take him I wonder if they try to get him to Rockford next season rather than another year at MSU.

His tools are so ridiculous, he has everything you want in a franchise 1D. I just worry about him developing those bad habits playing at MSU again.
His tools are maybe the most valuable in the draft. The turnovers and positioning errors are the only things stopping him from being elite, but those are two really important things. He covers ground faster than any draft eligible I've ever seen

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
His tools are maybe the most valuable in the draft. The turnovers and positioning errors are the only things stopping him from being elite, but those are two really important things. He covers ground faster than any draft eligible I've ever seen
Yea IDGAF about positioning as a weakness. Guy has all the tools at the scarcest position. He is the 2nd best player available in the draft. If he’s around when Hawks pick and they don’t take him, I will not like it.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
After Celebrini, I’m ok with Levshunov, Lidstrom, Parekh, and Iginla.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Thoughts on Levshunov?

He is very intriguing, and all the tools are there?

But he seems like a major boom or bust risk. So much depends on further development in own end

I don't know you feel impressed with his game but also disappointed as you want to see more with him

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Thoughts on Levshunov?

But he seems like a major boom or bust risk. So much depends on further development in own end

I don't know you feel impressed with his game but also disappointed as you want to see more with him
I think I tend to relate to this sentiment.

I just don't think I feel passionate enough about him as a player to use our 1st on him. And that's not even an indictment on his talent level.

Some players just have the juice. They got the dog in them. I get excited to watch them play. I don't really get that out of Levshunov.

Actually not a lot of players in this draft give me that feeling. Regarding the projected top 10 guys, it might just be Celebrini and Iginla that have the sauce.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Lev is certainly boom/bust, but so is everyone else expected to go 2-10.

I'd prefer Demidov, personally, but Lev could turn into a solid #1. Over the last few years, he keeps moving on to a stronger league after each season, so his development is a little different than most and I can sort of understand some of the flubs he makes because of it.

I do like how our defense of the future looks with him in it.

Vlasic Levshunov
Korchinski Rinzel
Edmonton Jones

Some big kids with big potential.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Thoughts on Levshunov?

He’s definitely boom or bust. But the boom is significant.

The highs on offense are really high. And then he’ll have some not great (but teachable) moments in his own end. So I d agree with your assessment.

Most of these high ceiling prospects carry risk.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO

I'd say the freedom to activiate in the Michigan State system has worked well for Levshunov from a production standpoint. It's not just off the rush as he has the freedom to move down low during in zone play. I've seen him tap his right winger on the shoulder as if to say I'm done playing your position and will now man the point again.

Pronman's most recent ranking touched upon this when he wrote "He is too aggressive at times, and plays like a forward too much for some scouts' liking".

I'm guessing that does not play nearly as well in the NHL as it does in the NCAA and will be dialed back.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Physical tools. Size, Skating, skill. He’s strong and has a bomb of a shot too.

Not that hard to understand…
That would be true if the person had said physical tools.

Hockey cliche but all the tools no tool box. What can he do well? Everything. Does he consistently do everything well? No.
I know, but it’s a cliche that always annoys me. Having all the tools but not the mental tools doesn’t equal having all the tools.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
positioning as a weakness is dumb. Correct positioning depends on the defensive system. It is taught not a quality of a player.

@1:09.

• Haha
Reactions: ChiHawks10

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Positioning comes down to hockey sense which is the single most unteachable skill in the game of ice hockey. Full stop.
How would you rate Roman Josi, Erik Karlsson, Drew Doughty, and Duncan Keith in their “positioning”? They all run around to varying degrees. Elite players run around and sometimes it burns you but most of the time it’s great. I don’t see any value in dinging a kid for having bad positioning when it is attached to elite traits. With the prospect mix in place and Vlasic and readily available free agents you can find solid positional defenseman. We need an X factor back there. Theres a decent chance he’s that. Yea he could end up being Bogosian which would suck. But there’s significant risk with every prospect after Celibrini.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
How would you rate Roman Josi, Erik Karlsson, Drew Doughty, and Duncan Keith in their “positioning”? They all run around to varying degrees. Elite players run around and sometimes it burns you but most of the time it’s great. I don’t see any value in dinging a kid for having bad positioning when it is attached to elite traits. With the prospect mix in place and Vlasic and readily available free agents you can find solid positional defenseman. We need an X factor back there. Theres a decent chance he’s that. Yea he could end up being Bogosian which would suck. But there’s significant risk with every prospect after Celibrini.
Duncan Keith's gap control was elite. Josi and Doughty are both incredibly cerebral players with excellent positioning. Karlsson is a tremendous defenseman that cheats defensively to create offense but he absolutely has hockey sense out the wazoo.

Saying Levshunov is a risk worth taking isn't a crazy statement. Saying positioning doesn't matter is pants on hand goofy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad