Status
Not open for further replies.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Like him a lot too

What are the Buium comps?
Morgan Reilly maybe? Pronman used that one and I sort of agree with it. I think he has a bit more flash than Reilly, and doesn't skate quite as good. Both don't have elite size but play pretty stout for their size. I see some of Roman Josi at times, where he creates so much offense, but I just don't think he's that level player to use that comp.

Reactions: HawksDub89

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
I think I tend to relate to this sentiment.

I just don't think I feel passionate enough about him as a player to use our 1st on him. And that's not even an indictment on his talent level.

Some players just have the juice. They got the dog in them. I get excited to watch them play. I don't really get that out of Levshunov.

Actually not a lot of players in this draft give me that feeling. Regarding the projected top 10 guys, it might just be Celebrini and Iginla that have the sauce.

Buium gives me that feeling as far as someone in the top 10 who has that dog in them.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
That's why we should look at Stian Solberg , Egor Surin , Miguel Marques
Stian Solberg is an ideal 3rd round pick, imo. Not saying he'll make it there, but that's one of those 3rd round selections you come away feeling good about.

I haven't caught up on Surin and Marques yet. It's on the to-do list.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Stian Solberg is an ideal 3rd round pick, imo. Not saying he'll make it there, but that's one of those 3rd round selections you come away feeling good about.

I haven't caught up on Surin and Marques yet. It's on the to-do list.
This is from an earlier post /////// Guys that stir the pot and play gritty , we need more S Savoies
Yakemchuk
Brandsegg-Nygard
Surin
Chernyshov
Miettinen
Solberg
Wetsch
Thorpe
Brunet
Taimazov
Aj Spellacy

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
This is from an earlier post /////// Guys that stir the pot and play gritty , we need more S Savoies
Yakemchuk
Brandsegg-Nygard
Surin
Chernyshov
Miettinen
Solberg
Wetsch
Thorpe
Brunet
Taimazov
Aj Spellacy
I like a number of those guys (some I still need to watch).

Can never go wrong with sandpaper types. Well, unless they lack IQ.

Reactions: dj Mahoney

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
You guys will get your pom poms out and cheerlead whoever they take so all this discussion is all for not. Same thing every year.

I should add this is light hearted banter.

Last edited:

Darkstar

Nov 3, 2007
Denver, CO
He played linebacker in football. He’s built. I really didn’t see him playing small. I thought he played big. Scouting is weird that we could see opposites.

Was just talking defenders. I’d still take a few players before Buium. But Buium is my #1 D at this point
I'm still hoping for #1 overall but if not then I'd rate our potential choices this way:

Demidov
Lindstrom - if medicals are ok
Buium
Catton
Iginla
Dickinson
Levshunov
Silayev

Mjul Qvist

Nov 28, 2009
I'm still hoping for #1 overall but if not then I'd rate our potential choices this way:

Demidov
Lindstrom - if medicals are ok
Buium
Catton
Iginla
Dickinson
Levshunov
Silayev

A lot of good choices there. I would add Helenius to that list also.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Lev is certainly boom/bust, but so is everyone else expected to go 2-10.

I'd prefer Demidov, personally, but Lev could turn into a solid #1. Over the last few years, he keeps moving on to a stronger league after each season, so his development is a little different than most and I can sort of understand some of the flubs he makes because of it.

I do like how our defense of the future looks with him in it.

Vlasic Levshunov
Korchinski Rinzel
Edmonton Jones

Some big kids with big potential.

I think I tend to relate to this sentiment.

I just don't think I feel passionate enough about him as a player to use our 1st on him. And that's not even an indictment on his talent level.

Some players just have the juice. They got the dog in them. I get excited to watch them play. I don't really get that out of Levshunov.

Actually not a lot of players in this draft give me that feeling. Regarding the projected top 10 guys, it might just be Celebrini and Iginla that have the sauce.
Iginla might be a sneaky good fit for this team. He wont need to be picked in the top 4 so hopefully If he's Kyle's guy he has picked up the phone and Talked to Bill Armstrong . They own picks #6 , 38 , 48 , 61 and 71 .

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Iginla might be a sneaky good fit for this team. He wont need to be picked in the top 4 so hopefully If he's Kyle's guy he has picked up the phone and Talked to Bill Armstrong . They own picks #6 , 38 , 48 , 61 and 71 .
I've got no problem taking Iginla in the top 4.

I love the way he's developing.

It doesn't happen every year, but sometimes there's a guy in the draft class whose progression from the start of the year to the end is so staggering that you can't help but be in awe of their will to learn and get better. Frank Nazar was that guy in 2022. Iginla is that guy this year.

These types of players almost always hit in a big way.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Can’t see Chicago keeping all of their second rounders - I assume they will package a few to move up, kick the can to another draft year, or acquire NHL help.

We said the same thing last year.
Three second round picks, none were traded.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
They had four and traded one for a '24 second to flatten the distribution.
I have to imagine we don't make all our 7 picks in the top 70. Our prospect pool is already large and we have so many more future picks. We have ammo to move up in the draft and we can always trade a pick or two to get a good roster player. Look for that 34th/53rd pick to get moved at the time of the draft.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I have to imagine we don't make all our 7 picks in the top 70. Our prospect pool is already large and we have so many more future picks. We have ammo to move up in the draft and we can always trade a pick or two to get a good roster player. Look for that 34th/53rd pick to get moved at the time of the draft.
Maybe, 7 picks in first three rounds of '24 and 5 each in '25 and '26, but depending on what happens they could add to that. I don't think they need to consolidate just for the sake of consolidation and it would likely depend more on how their draft board shakes out. An overly bloated prospect pool can be a bit of a problem, but it's generally a "good problem" (just don't mis-evaluate your own prospect pool too badly). They could likely afford to go fairly boom/bust on some of these 2nd round picks because they should be less concerned with filling out a prospect pool with guys you need to fill out the bottom six, given overall volume. I wouldn't be surprised to see more "big forward dart throws" as it'd be great to have a couple guys with that profile come through, but they often miss spectacularly.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Maybe, 7 picks in first three rounds of '24 and 5 each in '25 and '26, but depending on what happens they could add to that. I don't think they need to consolidate just for the sake of consolidation and it would likely depend more on how their draft board shakes out. An overly bloated prospect pool can be a bit of a problem, but it's generally a "good problem" (just don't mis-evaluate your own prospect pool too badly). They could likely afford to go fairly boom/bust on some of these 2nd round picks because they should be less concerned with filling out a prospect pool with guys you need to fill out the bottom six, given overall volume. I wouldn't be surprised to see more "big forward dart throws" as it'd be great to have a couple guys with that profile come through, but they often miss spectacularly.
This is a significant reason I think the Hawks likely have a ton of confidence to trade up and go for their guys. We are likely sellers at the deadline and will get a 1st or 2nd round pick by trading a pending UFA next year. The only reason we didn't do it again this year was because Corey Perry decided to get blasted. I truly believe we could've gotten a 1st or 2nd round pick trading him to a contender.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Agree....we should be consolidating the quantity of picks into quality as we have made a lot of high picks the last few drafts and have many more on the clock and at some point you don't have spots to place all the prospects into pro roster spots. I might also lean toward euro players with picks (all things being relatively even) where you retain the rights longer and don;t have the escape hatch with college kids able to get to UFA status in 4 years.

Teams I would target with bundles of later picks would be those that have a highish 1st and a later second 1st like San Jose at #14, Anahein #24, Ottawa #26, Montreal #27, Calgary #29, & Philly at #30. Other targets might be teams with a late 1st that no longer have a 2nd such asVegas at #19, LA #21, Toronto #23, Colorado #25, Dallas #31, and the Rangers #32.

Using the sound of hockey pick value chart, our top two 2nd round picks equate to the #26 pick and all 3 2nd rounders equate to #22. The Tampa pick and the 2nd rounders are enough ammo to move up off that Tampa pick into the upper teens or certainly flip a pair of 2nds into a late 1st.

Reactions: Castle8130
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad