Votes: 11 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 56 15.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 20 5.6%

• Total voters

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Both are excellent options at 5 OA. Both are late risers and would immediately become our best forward prospect.

Sennecke reminds me a bit of Huberdeau when he was a junior player, only with a bit more snap to his game. And I love Iginla's combination of skill and compete level. Though both project as top 6 NHL forwards, I suspect with his larger frame and reach, Sennecke's ceiling/upside (once he fills out) is a bit higher than Iginla's.

But I wouldn't complain with either at 5 OA.

Same. I prefer Iginla, but I have my reservations with both. I don't really see how Iginla misses and he impressed the hell out of me in the u18s, but Sennecke might just be the better player when it's all said and done. Sennecke is an exciting pick.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Yeah obviously, I just mean you can't gain an understanding of someone's game from their lowlights.
In Parekh’s case, I have had an opportunity to watch him often when following Beck’s play this past season. Parekh’s rather ineffective efforts to corral Seennecke in that clip was something that I witnessed repeatedly over the past year. While supremely talented offensively he was supremely untalented defensively.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Listen all I’m saying is remember when hockey night in Canada used to do that segment with Don Cherry and the potential top 3-5 picks….
This year there’d be 27 of them crammed in the studio.

*thumbs up

Reactions: Runner77

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Same. I prefer Iginla, but I have my reservations with both. I don't really see how Iginla misses and he impressed the hell out of me in the u18s, but Sennecke might just be the better player when it's all said and done. Sennecke is an exciting pick.

I think in the current state of our prospects pool up front, we don't need to necessarily hit for the fences. We need to have a guy who has both upside and has a realistic chance to make the show.

I think Iginla's qualities will easily transfer to the NHL.

I feel like this is the Tkachuk vs Kotkaniemi scenario playing all over again. And mind you, I'm perfectly aware that Iginla's game has nothing to do with Tkachuk's. Like... nothing. This is not the point.

It's the situation that is similar. A pick seen as "unsexy, high-floor, low ceiling" and a "shiny, exciting, high-ceiling pick that is raw".

I think at #5 you have to go for the horse that you "know" is going to finish the race.

Our best forward prospect is Joshua Roy. It's a sad state to be in for a rebuilding team, and adding a huge question mark might not be what we need now. Because there are a ton of question marks with Sennecke.

Reactions: Gustave

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Could he be the steal of the draft. A 6"2 right handed center Michael Hage has good reason to get a low start this year after losing his father on tragic incident in July. 2024 have been something else. In 14 games from Dec. 30 to March 23, he posted 25 points scoring 15 goals with a +12 rating. His skills and speed for someone of his size. Great IQ, great hands.

Surely a target for a move up
Lots to like about Hage, smart player with elite skating:

However his greatest attribute is his excellent skating ability. His pristine edgework and powerful first three strides allow him to move quickly and overwhelm his opponents
. (THW)

Where might he be picked?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Sennecke definitely has a lot of skill but I think some people are overlooking just how good Iginla’s shot is. After Eiserman, he’s the best sniper in the draft. The puck launches off his stick and he can score in a multitude of ways, changing angles and release points. I think people are getting caught up by his last name and have concocted a different player in their heads.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Sennecke definitely has a lot of skill but I think some people are overlooking just how good Iginla’s shot is. After Eiserman, he’s the best sniper in the draft. The puck launches off his stick and he can score in a multitude of ways, changing angles and release points. I think people are getting caught up by his last name and have concocted a different player in their heads.

Agreed. Iginla has a great shot, great shot selection, and he loves to shoot. 319 shots this season which is huge, 4.98 per game.

Might as well mention that Berkley also has a great shot, and loves to shoot.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Agreed. Iginla has a great shot, great shot selection, and he loves to shoot. 319 shots this season which is huge, 4.98 per game.

Might as well mention that Berkley also has a great shot, and loves to shoot.
Who are you taking at 5 if the draft goes Celebrini/Demidov/Levshunov/Lindstrom?

Addik04

Sep 15, 2010
I like his potential better than Iginla, where it gets sticky is Iginla's floor is quite a bit better. But this staff bets on themselves to be able to develop so I'd let them see what they can do with Sennecke.

Unfortunately for us Catton supporters that 5'11 is a barrier he can't overcome for what they look for in a top 10 pick.
I dont know if I can say that in english, but speak to speak or parler pour parler, if your job is on the line and that pick could affect your reputation, would you draft Sennecke with the 5 selection?

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
In Parekh’s case, I have had an opportunity to watch him often when following Beck’s play this past season. Parekh’s rather ineffective efforts to corral Seennecke in that clip was something that I witnessed repeatedly over the past year. While supremely talented offensively he was supremely untalented defensively.
The defensive side of the game, positioning can be taught, offensive talent cannot.

Look at Evan Bouchard, 1.3PPG in the OHL in his draft year. Same question marks as Parekh about his defensive play. He is far from being good defensively but it's passable and he can let his offense speak for itself.

Parekh: 1.45PPG in the OHL in his draft year. Stats wise, he is better than Bouchard.

If we don't get Demidov, we have to draft one of the D-man prospect (Parekh, Buium, Levshunov, Yakemchuk). They are simply better prospects than any of the other forwards available. My preference would be for Buium.

This draft is historical for D-man, I sure hope we don't miss the boat. We still need a #1D.

Reactions: bleuetbio

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
It's certainly fun yes. This draft is difficult to nail down accurately.
The good/fun news is that we are going to get one of Lindstrom, Sennecke, Iginla, Buium, Catton, Demidov, Dickinson or Levshunov. While I have my preferences, I can live with any of them. Each one of them will immediately become our top prospect, not named Hutson.

It's a very good draft to be in the top 7. Very good indeed.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The good/fun news is that we are going to get one of Lindstrom, Sennecke, Iginla, Buium, Catton, Demidov, Dickinson or Levshunov. While I have my preferences, I can live with any of them. Each one of them will immediately become our top prospect, not named Hutson.

It's a very good draft to be in the top 7. Very good indeed.

Yup, there is talent to be taken. From that list, my decision is easy. Iggy.

* Skating (check)
* Skill (check)
* Size/weight (check)
* Young and Trending Hot (check)
* NHL shot (check)
* Deceptive (check)
* Obsessive at improving (check)
* Compete level and Focused (check)

I've been asking for weeks now. Try to nit pick his flaws?

I think there will be many top 4D's and many top 6F's in the top 13. The question is, are you picking the few who reach top pairing D or top line F or one of the others? The entire top 13 will not all be top paring and top line F. Not probable.

If Demidov is still on the board. It's very tough for me to decide between him and Iggy. Iggy is in my top 6.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
Iginla does have a fantastic shot. He's got a quick release that he can get off from different postures with very good accuracy and power. He also seems to have really good instincts for when to shoot, and how to lose himself from defensive coverage to get into a scoring position off-puck. There are countless examples of him showing outstanding individual efforts driving to the inside to give himself a scoring chance, and I think multiple facets of his goal scoring game are going to translate well to the NHL.

The main question mark for me about him is how he uses his teammates from a playmaking standpoint when on-puck, and therefore: how much of a true dual threat will he be at the NHL level? He does has an opportunistic "give and go" game, but I don't see a lot of higher level manipulation or deception tactics from him to break down defenses and use teammates to exploit the weaknesses he created. On the other hand, this is something that I see as a hallmark in Catton's game. Catton seems to be able to break down defenses in a lot more ways, which seems to me to bode well for translatability in terms of playmaking at a the NHL level.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
The defensive side of the game, positioning can be taught, offensive talent cannot.

Look at Evan Bouchard, 1.3PPG in the OHL in his draft year. Same question marks as Parekh about his defensive play. He is far from being good defensively but it's passable and he can let his offense speak for itself.

Parekh: 1.45PPG in the OHL in his draft year. Stats wise, he is better than Bouchard.

If we don't get Demidov, we have to draft one of the D-man prospect (Parekh, Buium, Levshunov, Yakemchuk). They are simply better prospects than any of the other forwards available. My preference would be for Buium.

This draft is historical for D-man, I sure hope we don't miss the boat. We still need a #1D.
The weakness in Parekh's defensive game goes far beyond inadequate positioning. He's light on his skates, lacks physicality, is not a particularly strong skater and has little defensive inclination. With already having Hutson and Mailloux , both offensively gifted defencemen, in the system, the team's need for another offensive, but defensively challenged defenceman, is questionable. At 5 OA we should not be drafting any player who openly requires teaching in a fundamental aspect of their game, to make the NHL.

If you are enamored by Parekh's 30+ goals, then Yakemchuk, who scored 30 goals in the WHL, and who is bigger, faster and a much more physical player than Parekh, is a much better option. In fact, I think Yakemchuk will be drafted well before Parekh.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I dont know if I can say that in english, but speak to speak or parler pour parler, if your job is on the line and that pick could affect your reputation, would you draft Sennecke with the 5 selection?

Personally, I'd take Catton but I'd have no problem taking Sennecke at 5 provided the top 4 goes Celebrini-Demidov-Levshunov-Lindstrom

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What are the opinions towards E Pettersson after this playoffs and past season? I'll get to my point of why I am asking this in this thread in a min. Pettersson went from 102 pts last year to 89 pts this past year. Had 18 pts in 17 playoff games in (19/20) but 6 pts in 13 playoff games this season.

This was Pettersson's age 25 season. He's in his prime now right? Is this a case of him not really being a playoff warrior or something else? I think he has limited ability to escape pressure with his skating and he is not that gritty to overcome it. 6'-2" and 185 lbs. His skating doesn't suck but it appears he is getting smothered when the going gets rough in the playoffs and time/space is reduced even more.

Still a darn good offensive player but this was missing for the Canucks in these playoffs. If this happened to our roster, we would be all over it.

Someone like W Johnston might not put up 100 pts (TBD... still young) but man, he's passing my eye test in compete/warrior. A force out there making things happen.

For these reasons, I think I would take Iggy over Demidov.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Lots to like about Hage, smart player with elite skating:

However his greatest attribute is his excellent skating ability. His pristine edgework and powerful first three strides allow him to move quickly and overwhelm his opponents. (THW)

Where might he be picked?
Hage has been climbing on some lists over the last month. He could go top 10-15 on draft day or be available at 20-25.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad