• Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 56 15.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 20 5.6%

• Total voters

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Yeah it’s been mentioned. It should also be mentioned that Arpon is the type of journalist that tiptoes around actual opinions and covers every single base possible.
Tiptoe through the window
By the window, that is where I'll be
Come tiptoe through the tulips with me
Oh, tiptoe from the garden … :laugh:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Define inferior…….Michkov is superior to which players who were picked ahead of him?

What makes you think Habs knew Michkov was a better player and would lead this team to a Stanley Cup but opted for an inferior player?

Fumbling only to those who believe Michkov is the bettter player….and maybe he is, maybe he isn’t….will need to see them both perform on the highest stage

I agree we'll have to see who turns out the better player. I like Reinbacher, and spent most of my time post draft talking other Michkov simps off the ledge. Just saying that Michkov's a hell of a player and it's not clear at the moment we made the right choice.

Reactions: jaffy27

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I agree we'll have to see who turns out the better player. I like Reinbacher, and spent most of my time post draft talking other Michkov simps off the ledge. Just saying that Michkov's a hell of a player and it's not clear at the moment we made the right choice.
We also have to draft a forward this year now and if it isn't Lindstrom/Demidov, it's going to sting to pass up on guys like Dickinson/Silayev in my opinion. I thought Silayev was just a player the size enthusiasts were clamoring for, but I'm intrigued by his tools and am impressed with his IQ.

It could cost us two draft years, but I don't think Reinbacher will disappoint exactly. Kid's a good one.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
No denying his skill, was a fan of selecting him or Leonard.

We’re just gonna have to wait and see if it was the right choice.

Had we selected Simashev, I’d feel a lot less confident with who we got vs who was available but at least Reinbacher was the top available defenseman.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
No denying his skill, was a fan of selecting him or Leonard.

We’re just gonna have to wait and see if it was the right choice.

Had we selected Simashev, I’d feel a lot less confident with who we got vs who was available but at least Reinbacher was the top available defenseman.
I don’t see the significance or not of who the top defenceman was in the last draft — I just want to know that who they got was the BPA at that slot. If one were to go defenceman hunting with an early pick, that was not the draft class to do it in.

Reinbacher just has to be worthy of where he got picked.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I don’t see the significance or not of who the top defenceman was in the last draft — I just want to know that who they got was the BPA at that slot. If one were to go defenceman hunting with an early pick, that was not the draft class to do it in.

Yep, BPA positionally is not a good way to measure a draft pick, just look at 2015. I don't think a dman would even go top 10 in a redraft, so if you got the best defenseman in the draft at 5 would you be happy?

I felt the same last year, no dmen ranked in my top 10, though Reinbacher was my highest ranked.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Too early to call and both/either of Demidov and Lindstrom could fall to us at five yet they are not in this poll which I kind of understand as Demidov would likely run away with it.

I would rather see a poll of:

Demidov
Lindstrom
Levshunov
Dickinson
Iginla
Catton
Silayev
Sennecke
Helenius
Parekh
Eiserman
Buium
Yakemchuk

These 13 players have all been mentioned on this board as possibilities at 5 OA for the Habs by different posters and public "scouting" entities. I think there should be a poll with these 13 players and each voter selects the five that they like the most. This will give us an accurate barometer on where this board stands as far as their priorities in this draft. Arbitrarily omitting possible candidates seems like a very flawed way to attempt to uncover this answer.

I would just go ahead and make the poll myself but there are already so many polls and I am not looking to step on any toes. If one on the members who already has an existing poll would like to do it that would be more acceptable imo.

I feel compelled to also mention that as a prospect I don't think Parekh belongs in this group and I like dmen such as Cole Hutson and Jiricek a lot more. Not saying that he should be removed because he has some supporters here, just that he sticks out like a sore thumb to me on this list. Hutson and Jiricek should not be on this list as well as players like MBN and Greentree as they don't seem to have any support here

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
The Habs need a high-end play driver and that’s exactly what Catton is. If he’s not a target there’s a major problem.
I could not agree more. I don’t understand the apparent blind spot here. Lack of size is silly at this stage… he can still be a 5’11, 185-190 pound pro which is fine.

In the last 10 years… players that have had similar CHL draft year production as Catton almost to a player has turned out to be an NHL superstar.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
MBN I had already seen some of and liked going in, but Solberg has really been a pleasant revelation for me with Team Norway at the WC. I see a ton of tools and stuff to develop with this kid, plus he plays a really mature, pro game already. A team picking him in the second round is going to get a good prospect to work with.
He's going mid 1st at this rate. Defensemen are gonna be scarce after the top 6, someone will reach on him in the same tier as Jiricek.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He's going mid 1st at this rate. Defensemen are gonna be scarce after the top 6, someone will reach on him in the same tier as Jiricek.
Maybe, late first round at least is becoming a real possibility. He's still pretty raw, but lots of tools to work with as I said. Plus he's already a big kid, he's got a solid frame, he looks an easy 6ft3, 205 right now.

Last edited:

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Buium, Silayev, Dickinson, and Levshunov are all better prospects than Reinbacher for sure. I would argue Yakemchuk is as well. Parekh is where it starts to get questionable - I would probably go with Reinbacher because he’s just a safer bet, but I understand how some would take the gamble on Parekh’s offensive upside over Reinbacher.

Buium and Levshunov both just posted the two best seasons in the NCAA by draft eligible D since the 1980s. There is only one season ever better than Buium just had, and maybe 3-4 than Levshunov. All were in the 1980s before the NCAA was what it is today, so they are pretty meaningless. To put things in perspective, Quinn Hughes posted 26 points in his draft year. Levshunov just put up 36, and Buium just posted 50 and won the championship, shutting down guys like Hutson, Celebrini, and Leonard, Smith, Perreault, and Gauthier in the tournament. We have literally never seen a draft eligible D coming out of the NCAA like Buium before, both in terms of production and pedigree.

People like to claim that Silayev “has no offense”, but forget that he just played in the 2nd best league in the world as a 17 year old and broke the KHL record for points by a u18 player while playing 14 mins/game. And he didn’t look out of place at all defensively playing against men.

Dickinson is “vanilla”, sure, I can understand that. But “vanilla” as a defenseman is usually a good thing - see Pietrangelo, McDonagh, Doughty, Josi (until the last couple years), Hanifin, Dobson, etc. Dickinson is considered a defensive D, but put up over a point per game, is one of the best skaters in the draft, and has a Shea Weber/Sheldon Souray type of shot. He was also one of the biggest reasons why the Knights just won the OHL championship. His points per game this season was actually 9th best for his age in OHL history.

Yakemchuk just posted the highest goal total by a draft eligible WHL D since 2001-2002.

Parekh just put up the 3rd highest scoring season by a draft age D in OHL history. The two above him were both in the 1980s.

I can’t remember the last time there was a draft with so many D with this kind of pedigree and upside, if ever.

None of the forwards in the draft except maybe Celebrini have distinguished themselves relative to their peers like these D have. The Habs would be stupid to pass on that because of positional need and quantity in their prospect pool.
We’re not picking a dman. Good post other than that.

Reactions: Runner77

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
well i don't know if it's 100% true but the rumor said that he did not want to play in MTL and that he had a strong personality and hard to coach.
This being said i would of not draft a guy that doesn't want to play in MTL even if he's better.
Demidov is really not the same guy, he said that he wanted to plays in MTL and his work ethic is flawless.
Why would anyone rather play in Philly and not Montreal? Russians and euros love Montreal

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I think he simply sees Lindstrom as a non can't miss prospect

I like Lindstrom but I do agree, I don't see him as a can't miss top 6 forward. The only can't miss top 6/4 players I see are Celebrini, Demidov, Dickinson and Buium
I’d add catton, but apparently he doesn’t meet the height requirements

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Unless Levshunov there at 5
A lot of people in here like him if the teams ahead go with offence — we’d really have to be snake bitten not to see one of Demidov/ Lindstrom be available at the Habs’ pick.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I could not agree more. I don’t understand the apparent blind spot here. Lack of size is silly at this stage… he can still be a 5’11, 185-190 pound pro which is fine.

In the last 10 years… players that have had similar CHL draft year production as Catton almost to a player has turned out to be an NHL superstar.
He’s my pick, but I don’t think we take him.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I don’t see the significance or not of who the top defenceman was in the last draft — I just wanti believe he to know that who they got was the BPA at that slot. If one were to go defenceman hunting with an early pick, that was not the draft class to do it in.

I believe he was, selecting Reinbacher at 5 was no stretch in anyone’s books.

Would seem Habs had him high on their list too….they selected him.

Saw the behind the scenes video of the draft and it’s clear they liked him, you win with these types of D they said, he integrates with the culture they are building, the size, the poise, the offensive potential, all skills they see in Reinbacher, this probably why he was rated best D prospect in this draft!

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I believe he was, selecting Reinbacher at 5 was no stretch in anyone’s books.

Would seem Habs had him high on their list too….they selected him.

Saw the behind the scenes video of the draft and it’s clear they liked him, you win with these types of D they said, he integrates with the culture they are building, the size, the poise, the offensive potential, all skills they see in Reinbacher, this probably why he was rated best D prospect in this draft!
I agree he was the best d prospect in the draft, I just think that, like 2015, it was a shite draft for d prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad