Votes: 11 3.2%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 55 15.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 5.4%

• Total voters

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Or y'know, he's more similar to Byfield and Kane than he is to Benn. Seem to be ignoring the comparisons to Carter and Anderson as well.

He's fast, shoot first, plays north-south, and plays a power game.

So is Evander Kane. Byfield is pass-first but the rest are true (Aside from the power game, but he does have the same size profile).

Jamie Benn plays a power game but he excels in the cycle, isn't fast, and is pretty even between shooting/passing first.

But nah, I'm sure everyone making those comparisons are just racist.
He doesn’t play North-South. How much have you watched him? He often likes to drive to the net in the offensive zone, but aside from that, he’s not what I’d call a North-South player.

A good way to describe his style is to picture Slafkovsky as a center. Seriously. They are quite similar. He’s got shades of Jagr stylistically as well, just like Slaf does. To me, he looks similar to Todd Bertuzzi in the way that he drives to the net too.

And before anyone gets bent out of shape about the Jagr and Bertuzzi comparisons, I just mean stylistically, not that I expect him to be as good as them.

Back to the Slafkovsky comparison, since everyone here is familiar with him and it will give a good reference point.

Like Slaf, he’s big, about 6’4, 220 lbs. I think his shot is better than Slafkovsky’s. He’s also faster and more agile, and a more powerful skater. He’s more physical than Slaf and more aggressive defensively man to man. Board battles and hands are about the same.

His puck skills and puck protection are his standout attribute, imo. Due to this, he has excels at zone entries and weaving through traffic and navigating the dirty areas effectively. His puck protection skills,
along with his frame are what allows him to drive to the net so effectively. He’s really good at using his body and long reach to shield and protect the puck while bulling to the net. Really strong on his skates too. Really high compete like Slaf. Works hard.

I think Slaf is a better playmaker, passer, and his decision making/tendencies in the offensive zone are better and more varied than Lindstrom.

Lindstrom works hard defensively and his positioning and compete there is good, in addition to the aggressiveness I already mentioned. He also excels at faceoffs, winning over a 60% rate this season.

So the knocks on him are his overall offensive IQ might be somewhat questionable, relative to his other attributes, and playmaking isn’t his strong suit, although he did show flashes where it looks like he could develop into a much better playmaker than we’ve seen. I think he has more potential there than people realize. I wouldn’t even consider his offensive IQ a weakness, more like average as of now. A lot of it could be to usage/coaching too, as he definitely had a clearly defined role on the team when he was playing. How much that has to do with it, idk.

Needless to say, he’s a really good prospect.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
The problem is neither will be as impactful as Matheson. The reason why we shouldn’t hesitate to take a defenceman at 5OA if we believe he has that upside.
Offensively, probably not, but both will be and IMO Guhle already is better defensively. Impact must be measured at both ends of the ice.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I understand projection. I do. Though projection still is analyzed with real stats and facts, I do understand that you can't judge solely by what you see now. If so, every top scorer of the league would be drafted 1, 2, 3.....

Still....I do not know you can safely say that Sennecke is your pick after you witness what Parekh, Buium and even Dickinson has done this year. Or even the gap in stats from Catton's last year to this year.

Since the draft is a crapshoot...I will not understand crapshooting the crapshoot. I think you are making a tough exercice even tougher.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
The problem is neither will be as impactful as Matheson. The reason why we shouldn’t hesitate to take a defenceman at 5OA if we believe he has that upside.
Matheson wasn't as impactful as Matheson until he turned 28 - and even then, he's impactful on both ends of the ice

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Guhle is looking good at the Worlds...Maybe if coach gave him some more of the juicy minutes and cut down on Mathesons 43 min/night Guhle could put up more points.
If the coach had cut down Matheson’s minutes we would be drafting higher than 5 OA.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Unless something significant happens during the combine, I think I'm ready with my own list :

• Celebrini
  • Demidov
  • Lindstrom
  • Iginla
  • Catton
  • Dickinson
  • Sennecke
  • Levshunov
Would be extremely happy with the top 4 and happy with the next 4. I'd be sad with the ones I didn't list.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Not gonna lie, I love this year's draft lead up. Everybody is all over the place, no consensus, love it. This is what makes it all fun and interesting. Never seen the board being so spread out with their preferences.

With all being said, I hope we land Zeev Buium hahahahaha

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I understand projection. I do. Though projection still is analyzed with real stats and facts, I do understand that you can't judge solely by what you see now. If so, every top scorer of the league would be drafted 1, 2, 3.....

Still....I do not know you can safely say that Sennecke is your pick after you witness what Parekh, Buium and even Dickinson has done this year. Or even the gap in stats from Catton's last year to this year.

Since the draft is a crapshoot...I will not understand crapshooting the crapshoot. I think you are making a tough exercice even tougher.
Best post I’ve seen in a while.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Unless something significant happens during the combine, I think I'm ready with my own list :

• Celebrini
  • Demidov
  • Lindstrom
  • Iginla
  • Catton
  • Dickinson
  • Sennecke
  • Levshunov
Would be extremely happy with the top 4 and happy with the next 4. I'd be sad with the ones I didn't list.

Yes. I really like all players on this list. I would be very very happy with one of them. But I believe that it's going to be Demidov, Lindstrom or Iginla. That's that would be amazing to pick one of them!

Last edited:

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

The moment a guy over 6'2'' shows off a dangle, people get all

Toad.gif

Last edited:

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014

Can you be more vague motherf***er? Otherwise, great f***ing post.

Gabouch04

Jun 25, 2023
since there’s been a lot of talk lately about Cayden Lindstrom, I want to go with my take about him. I see is floor being super high because of his tools (speed, size, grit). If a player like Josh Anderson played anywhere from the 1st to 3rd lime,you know he will at least play a very useful role on the second line. Lindstrom have a much higher hockey IQ.

The way I see it I’m term of impact :
Floor : Lawson Crouse
What he’ll likely become : Chris Kreider
Ceiling : Prime Jamie Benn

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

At the same time, you gotta let the scouts do the scouting thing.

Every year we go nuts on a guy with great counting stats and wonder why they don't go higher, or don't get drafted at all, and more often than not, we were wrong but we hang on to the time or two over the years we are right that proves our natural bias.

If the scouts have been following these kids for years and project them as the best player available at the spot, haven't they earned that call?

We haven't even made that pick yet, for all we know their interest in Sennecke is solely in a trade down scenario. I remember when it was a sure fire thing we would pick Liam Coughlin and we didn't even take him with our 7th rounder.

Reactions: le_sean

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad