Votes: 11 3.2%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 55 16.1%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 18 5.3%

• Total voters

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Heard a lot of good thing about Julius Miettinen. Marybe with the last first pick or the second?
From the Hockey Writers.At 6-foot-3, 207 pounds, he's an imposing figure on the ice, and he already uses his size well. He's strong on the forecheck and does well to win one-on-one battles when his team decides to play dump-and-chase. As expected with someone his size, Miettinen is a strong net-front presence.

IMG_5533.png
IMG_5534.png

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
At this point, I'm very confident that they will go with forward. The only D they will take it's if Leshunov will be there at 5.

I don't see Parekh or Yakemchuk even if they are good and RD's. The talent of Iginla, Catton, Sennecke are pretty equal to them.

Demidov or Lindstrom are the only forward they will take ahead of Iginla, Catton or Sennecke.

I'm not working with Habs, but that's my prediction. I would be very happy with any of them.

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
At this point, I'm very confident that they will go with forward. The only D they will take it's if Leshunov will be there at 5.

I don't see Parekh or Yakemchuk even if they are good and RD's. The talent of Iginla, Catton, Sennecke are pretty equal to them.

Demidov or Lindstrom are the only forward they will take ahead of Iginla, Catton or Sennecke.

I'm not working with Habs, but that's my prediction. I would be very happy with any of them.

Thanks for clearing that up.

• Haha
Reactions: KevSkillz4

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Heard a lot of good thing about Julius Miettinen. Marybe with the last first pick or the second?
From the Hockey Writers.At 6-foot-3, 207 pounds, he's an imposing figure on the ice, and he already uses his size well. He's strong on the forecheck and does well to win one-on-one battles when his team decides to play dump-and-chase. As expected with someone his size, Miettinen is a strong net-front presence.

View attachment 870992View attachment 870993

nice find.

Reactions: Nevins

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Okay everyone, post your beefcake draft wish lists, no one under 6'3 200 allowed

5.) Cayden Lindstrom
WPG.) Julius Miettinen
58.) Jesse Pulkkinen
70.) Adam Jecho
78.) Dean Letourneau

• Haha
Reactions: SwiftyHab and Saxon

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
In no way did Iginla dominate the WHL like Demidov dominated the MHL, not even close.

I like Iginla, I don't think taking him above Demidov is asinine, but to say they were equally dominant in their respective leagues is simply not true.

So you watched Demidov in the MHL? Usually, the type of domination you are talking about would mean he would have gotten more than 4 KHL games right?

You don't agree they both dominated their junior leagues equally, But I have not seen any context into it? Explain it more? I believe the CHL is a bit more competitive than the MHL. Close but edge to CHL in my books.

I still stand firm until you provide the reasons/context. Iggy dominated the CHL just as much as Demidov dominated the MHL. Plus Iggy don't turn 18 until this Aug. Demidov turned 18 last December.

Last edited:

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
So you watched Demidov in the MHL? Usually, the type of domination you are talking about would mean he would have gotten more than 4 KHL games right?

You don't agree they both dominated their junior leagues equally, But I have not seen any context into it? Explain it more? I believe the CHL is a bit more competitive than the MHL. Close but edge to CHL in my books.

I still stand firm until you provide the reasons/context. Iggy dominated the CHL just as much as Demidov dominated the MHL. Plus Iggy don't turn 18 until this Aug. Demidov turned 18 last December.

I have watched lots of Demidov. A fun feature of MHL hockey is you can easily catch games live on YouTube, thus making it one of the most accessible leagues for hockey watchers.

As to your other points:

1. Demidov being stuck in the MHL is due to politics, not performance

2. MHL is weaker than the CHL, but Demidov's club tended to play against better teams due to division makeups and scheduling, lessening the play gap

3. Demidov had historically significant production this year (hell, he had notable numbers as the 17 year old MVP last year); Iginla's season was exciting, but not an outlier in recent WHL play

Once again, you can prefer Iginla for stylistic or projection reasons, but the idea they were equally dominant in their respective leagues is simply wrong.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I have watched lots of Demidov. A fun feature of MHL hockey is you can easily catch games live on YouTube, thus making it one of the most accessible leagues for hockey watchers.

As to your other points:

1. Demidov being stuck in the MHL is due to politics, not performance

2. MHL is weaker than the CHL, but Demidov's club tended to play against better teams due to division makeups and scheduling, lessening the play gap

3. Demidov had historically significant production this year (hell, he had notable numbers as the 17 year old MVP last year); Iginla's season was exciting, but not an outlier in recent WHL play

Once again, you can prefer Iginla for stylistic or projection reasons, but the idea they were equally dominant in their respective leagues is simply wrong.

The Russian Politic card? Not sure on that one but maybe true (hard to know this for sure). You don't think his 4 KHL games with 0 points has anything to do with it? I think they tinkered with his potential and deemed he was not ready. That's my perception on that.

Edge to CHL over the MHL but less of a impact than their age gap. I think it's close in terms of who dominated what league. I'll give Demidov credit for what he produced but What Iggy did at a young age this year is impressive. When I talk domination, it's deeper than just points too.

Not low on Demidov. I just don't have him as the undisputed BPA at 2 or even 5. I think the 'redrafts" we do later will have lots of movement.

Can't wait to see Demidov's true weight after the combine. That's a factor for me. I prefer to not have a guy that takes years to get to 185 or 190 lbs. I think Iggy fills into that frame and hits Suzuki's weight within the next 2 years. Maybe 3. Iggy probably tops out around 6'-1 and 200+ lbs

I'm looking for a playoff warrior type pick. Not a regular season champion star. The part I really don't know is how Demidov likes the physical parts of the game. I've seen many skilled prospects fade once the time/space is reduced and they are up against the NHL beasts on D. Is Demidov the type to overcome this with skating/skill and not be afraid of it? I have confidence Iggy stands up well in this area.

Reactions: HURRICANES ROCK

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Way higher ceiling on Demidov, but a flatter distribution of outcomes. Higher variance.

I have no doubts at all about Iginla, but his ceiling is not as high. Still has a high ceiling though.

You don't have any doubts about Iginla's playmaking ability, tendency to go stick rather than body with his thicker frame or his tendency to expose the puck when handling in the middle of the ice?

Those are my question marks that might limit his effectiveness. The rest of his game though, very translatable.

I have questions on every prospect not named Celebrini in this draft, fwiw.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
You don't have any doubts about Iginla's playmaking ability, tendency to go stick rather than body with his thicker frame or his tendency to expose the puck when handling in the middle of the ice?

Those are my question marks that might limit his effectiveness. The rest of his game though, very translatable.

I have questions on every prospect not named Celebrini in this draft, fwiw.

I think he's quite a good playmaker, though he's more of an attacking player. And his ability to make it through chaotic situations with puck possession is the first thing that drew my attention.

Beyond his game, the actual player himself is extremely impressive. Reaction time, hand eye, quick thinking, relentlessness all bodes well for his future. He's made of good stuff.

Reactions: bopeep and Hannibal

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I'm looking for a playoff warrior type pick. Not a regular season champion star. The part I really don't know is how Demidov likes the physical parts of the game. I've seen many skilled prospects fade once the time/space is reduced and they are up against the NHL beasts on D. Is Demidov the type to overcome this with skating/skill and not be afraid of it? I have confidence Iggy stands up well in this area.

If that's what you're concerned about, then that's fair when speaking on current weight.

I don't find he's scared of physicality, in fact he can be a demon on the forecheck (noted at least five situations where he drew penalties off such) and shows indications he'll push back against incoming attackers. He'll need to add weight for this to be repeatable at the NHL level, and adding an additional burst to his skating would also make it easier to handle pressure, but that's not a concern pre-draft.

The Russian Politic card? Not sure on that one but maybe true (hard to know this for sure). You don't think his 4 KHL games with 0 points has anything to do with it? I think they tinkered with his potential and deemed he was not ready. That's my perception on that.

Not Russian politics, SKA politics. The organization is more or less run by a nepo baby with Putin ties who would normally have zero business being the HC of a professional hockey club. Excellent chance Demidov would be, at minimum, playing in the VHL (intermediary league) or KHL on a squad like Torpedo.

Last edited:

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
Solberg is the next Romanov. But the difference is that everybody knows him. He should go late 1st round...maybe with our pick?

Pronman's recent mock draft has Solberg going to the Blues mid-1st round. He was initially projected to go in the 2nd round or late 1st round.​

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Solberg is the next Romanov. But the difference is that everybody knows him. He should go late 1st round...maybe with our pick?

Doubtful they'll use it on a LD, they'll probably double down on forwards if it's not gone in a trade.

I think he's quite a good playmaker, though he's more of an attacking player. And his ability to make it through chaotic situations with puck possession is the first thing that drew my attention.

Beyond his game, the actual player himself is extremely impressive. Reaction time, hand eye, quick thinking, relentlessness all bodes well for his future. He's made of good stuff.

I find him a bit weak in creating space for passes, especially in situations where the pass across is the best option. Creativity on playmaking looked pedestrian in my viewings.

Agreed on your last paragraph.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The thing is, when you try to convince yourself of things and can't let go of your bias, you have opinions on players that just are not true. This prior post is a good example of this.

That first play is what I'm talking about. This ability to somehow get through 3 or 4 sticks really pops in live viewing. In another life he could be an F1 driver.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Depends on the KHL team, with SKA it's really not the case. For example Michkov only played 3 KHL games with them in his draft year and had 0 points. And this year he got 1 game with SKA despite already having proven he can score at the KHL level.

Ice time with SKA is rarely about what a young player has earned/deserves.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The thing is, when you try to convince yourself of things and can't let go of your bias, you have opinions on players that just are not true. This prior post is a good example of this.

I see a lot of real easy translatable stuff every time I watch him, especially after he's put some muscle on his frame. He'll definitely be a pro.

Reactions: bopeep and Mrb1p

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Newest NHL draft class podcast has Pat Cullen from central scouting and made a comparison of Connolley to Pettersson. He didn't talk about the off-ice incidents, though, but whichever team in the mid-teens, early 20s is going to get themselves a good player with a good amount of backlash.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Newest NHL draft class podcast has Pat Cullen from central scouting and made a comparison of Connolley to Pettersson. He didn't talk about the off-ice incidents, though, but whichever team in the mid-teens, early 20s is going to get themselves a good player with a good amount of backlash.
Doesn't matter we shouldn't pick him. Let him go to UFA.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Pat Cullen talked this player up. Mentioned at the start of the year he/they (CS) didn't think he'd even get drafted and now he's ranked 49th by CS

Reactions: skidcells

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad