• Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 54 16.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 17 5.3%

• Total voters

Genghis Keon

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
No, I’m positive I’m not missing the point. I like Nick but to assume that every skilled sub 6 foot forward will be as successful as him in the NHL is foolish. The odds of a bigger player being an effective playoff performer are higher than a Nick body clone being an effective top 6 forward in the playoffs. And all things being equal, I’ll go with the bigger player usually.

Fair enough, but since Suzuki is built like a brick shithouse and has had nothing but playoff success, I'm sure you'd agree that just because he's 5'11 doesn't mean he's a reason or part of a reason we shouldn't draft someone.

You can obviously like a bigger prospect or project that he'll be better than a smaller prospect in the playoffs, but if you rank a 5'11 guy higher and think he'll make more of an impact in the playoffs, it makes no sense to pick your lower rated big guy because, in part, Suzuki is 5'11.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Anyone watching the intensity of battle that is the Boston/Florida series wants a larger player, heavier player.
it always comes down to having that size/grit to get you through these series, never changes. Our team in 93 had a wicked mix of size, grit, toughness, skill.. could play any way you wanted to. We abandoned that for 30 years, it showed.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
it always comes down to having that size/grit to get you through these series, never changes. Our team in 93 had a wicked mix of size, grit, toughness, skill.. could play any way you wanted to. We abandoned that for 30 years, it showed.
We also had the good fortune of both having the Islanders upsetting the defending Cup Champions and prohibitive Cup favorite, Pittsburg Penguins and winning 10 overtime games in that unexpected playoff run.

Reactions: bsl and Anardil

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
We also had the good fortune of both having the Islanders upsetting the defending Cup Champions and prohibitive Cup favorite, Pittsburg Penguins and winning 10 overtime games in that unexpected playoff run.
It was a run of destiny! Magical run to be honest. You hear the what ifs all the time but that doesn't matter. You play who you play just like the Habs run a couple years ago.

Reactions: Troyp

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Call me crazy but I'd rather have Reinbacher + Demidov//Lindstrom//Iginla than Michkov//Leonard + Leshunov//Parekh//Yakemchuk (the only RD's).

Reactions: stanley25

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

I mean it always takes luck, good bounces, good matchups, missed calls etc to win a cup. You don't get through Quebec being down 2 games without having that size to drive the play, and Roy in net. That leadership in 93 was undeniable, it wasn not a 'fluke' cupe, we earned it. If Wayne gets the high sticking call against Toronto, who knows how things play out.

It was a good balanced team.

Catton>Iginla and Lindstrom. They want BPA and a forward so......

I don't see any scouts agreeing that Catton is greater than either. Where have you seen this?

Addik04

Sep 15, 2010
Scott Wheeler on Sennecke:

"Everyone saw the skill and the potential, but as one OHL coach told me, he had a lot of bad habits he needed to break, a tendency to play one-on-one too much, and wavering competitiveness. There were also benchings and off-ice questions."

"We’re just a month and a half out from that and there’s no way Sennecke is available outside the top 20 anymore. Some teams are having top-10 conversations about him.

A lot of that has just been about the consistency of his effort level, his competitiveness beginning to shine through, and the skill showing up more often because he’s more involved in games and make better choices in terms of play selection."

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Scott Wheeler on Sennecke:

"Everyone saw the skill and the potential, but as one OHL coach told me, he had a lot of bad habits he needed to break, a tendency to play one-on-one too much, and wavering competitiveness. There were also benchings and off-ice questions."

"We’re just a month and a half out from that and there’s no way Sennecke is available outside the top 20 anymore. Some teams are having top-10 conversations about him.

A lot of that has just been about the consistency of his effort level, his competitiveness beginning to shine through, and the skill showing up more often because he’s more involved in games and make better choices in terms of play selection."

There's still time for him to poop in a teammate's hockey bag and subsequently drop to our winnipeg pick

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
There's still time for him to poop in a teammate's hockey bag and subsequently drop to our winnipeg pick
Sennecke and Yakemchuk are probably the only two players that I would aggressively move up for if they fall out of the top ten ( assuming they aren't our choice at 5OA). Both are the only two of the usual suspects in this draft who one could realistically see dropping out of the top ten. Lets see if Hughes shares my enthusiasm.

Last edited:

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Helenius, at 5'11", 181lbs, plays with an edge and initiates contact in pay zones. He's a gamer. Don't let numbers on paper fool you.
Yeah he is pretty strong all over the ice, plays with an edge and has the skating to go along.

Last edited:

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Listening to Processus, the weekly podcast on prospects involving Snake Boisvert and Matthias Brunet, his knock against Helenius is how he shows up one game and disappears the next. I don’t know if the criticism is warranted, maybe someone who has watched him closely can confirm.
Thats non sense, in term of effort level, Helenius always gives the best out himself every shifts, thats one of the reasons why Im so high on him.

Reactions: Draft

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Someone posted this on the Slaf's thread.

I think it's fair to say that Kent Hughes and this new management, not only look at talent, skills, character/personality and work ethic, but even more importantly, they are looking for a prospect that has that inner drive to be able to succeed under and with pressure. That's not something that's quantifiable. Somewhat that drive and will that players like Slaf and Brady Tkachuk have.

With that being said, I think we are so easily influenced by "consensus" year after year, but I would not be surprise if these players are gonna be top of our list:

Zeev Buium: The pedigree of a NCAA Champion, the pressure and plays he makes as a rookie and the hunger he had all year long, breaking records and just the definition of a winner.
Sam Dickinson: Dickinson has future Captain written in the sky. He plays one of the most efficient game in this draft class. He understands the game and I think he is exactly that type of player they prioritize. You now you win championships with a Dickinson.
Konsta Helenius: Helenius's plays just speak for themselves. A player who prove he can excel agianst men. Fight for the puck, winning battles, driving to the net, positioning himself for best opportunities. I think he will be up there as well.

Last edited:

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Someone posted this on the Slaf's thread.

I think it's fair to say that Kent Hughes and this new management, not only look at talent, skills, character/personality and work ethic, but even more importantly, they are looking for a prospect that has that inner drive to be able to succeed under and with pressure. That's not something that's quantifiable. Somewhat that drive and will that players like Slaf and Brady Tkachuk have.

With that being said, I think we are so easily influenced by "consensus" year after year, but I would not be surprise if these players are gonna be top of our list:

Zeev Buium: The pedigree of a NCAA Champion, the pressure and plays he makes as a rookie and the hunger he had all year long, breaking records and just the definition of a winner.
Sam Dickinson: Dickinson has future Captain written in the sky. He plays one of the most efficient game in this draft class. He understands the game and I think he is exactly that type of player they prioritize. You now you win championships with a Dickinson.
Konsta Helenius: Helenius's plays just speak for themselves. A player who prove he can excel agianst men. Fight for the puck, winning battles, driving to the net, positioning himself for best opportunities. I think he will be up there as well.

One of these isn’t really like the other two.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Eiserman.
unnamed.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Runner77

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Hugo should hire a hypnotist to get Sennecke to do that in all his teammates' bags and his coaches' shoes. The sooner the better. We want the news to spread.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
At 5, I'd rather have Beckett Sennecke than Konsta freaking Helenius.

Come on guys with Helenius, he will be lucky to become Lundell 2.0 and Lundell isn't that good to be picking at 5.

Let's take Beckett Sennecke, the next Matt Boldy, not the next Anton Lundell.
There really isn’t much separating them, imo. They’re different for sure, but similar calibre of prospects in that I see both as projecting to be middle-six players. Both would be bad picks at 5th overall. I’d give the edge to Helenius though due to better work ethic, drive, and IQ, and he’s more well rounded. Sennecke definitely has some better tools (key word: some), but has more deficiencies.

• Haha
Reactions: Jabba11

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
There really isn’t much separating them, imo. They’re different for sure, but similar calibre of prospects in that I see both as projecting as middle-six players. Both would be bad picks at 5th overall.

I agree with you, but In my mind, I would much be happier with a player like Sennecke than Helenius at 5.

My wishlist is Demidov, Lindstrom or Iginla.

Reactions: Garbageyuk

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I agree with you, but In my mind, I would much be happier with a player like Sennecke than Helenius at 5.

My wishlist is Demidov, Lindstrom or Iginla.
I’m not in camp of taking a forward just for the sake of taking a forward. The Habs have a good stable of up and coming D and prospects, but still don’t have one that looks to be a true 1D. They aren’t in the position to be able to pass on a potential franchise D if that’s the BPA at 5. And there are several D with that potential at the top of this draft.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
I just have a sinking feeling that Lindstrom will be picked by CBJ.
That's where I have him going in my mock draft. To the Jackets. And with some luck, Demidov drops to us last Michkov did. If Demidov is not available, I'm going with a defenseman.

Teams will be drooling over big defensemen after these playoffs are set and done, just like every year. Brandon Carlo, Alex Pietrangelo, etc. I have a feeling Sam Dickinson will be taken much higher than people think. So underrated.

Last edited:

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
So Scott Wheeler said so far he has heard Chicago is debating between Demidov and Levshunov, Anaheim is focused on D Lev, Buium and Silayev, Columbus is focused on Silayev.

Please lord just let the Demigod drop to us.
If Chicago pass on Demidov, Anaheim won't... Demidov is want they miss (a élite winger)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad