Votes: 53 17.5%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 17 5.6%

• Total voters

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I wonder who our Swedish scout will pound the table for this year. He's produced interesting picks 2 years in a row now.

I'm not sure..

I liked Zetterberg at the U18s before he got hurt.
Freij and Sahlin Wallenius likely go in round 1 so not them.
Lucas Pettersson had some moments but the skill looks lesser than the frame and skating.
Noel Fransen gets no love from public scouting lists but he's got a lot of talent.

Karl Sterner?
Hugo Traff?

It could fall this way though:

SJ: Celebrini
Chi: Lindstrom/Demidov
Anaheim: Silayev
Columbus: Lindstrom/Demidov

If Anaheim take Levshunov, there is a possibility Columbus draft Silayev, but I think Silayev fits better for Anaheim than Levshunov, they already have Mintyukov on the right side, who is more offensively oriented and somewhat in the same mold of Levshunov.

So in that scenario, Habs will have to pick one of Helenius, Iginla, Sennecke.

Anaheim wants right shot D or right shot forwards.. but if that scenario plays out, it's almost assured the Habs would just take Levshunov. They didn't rule out a right shot D and staring at the best D man in the draft who shoots right at 5 would be a god-send.

Guhle-Levshunov
Hutson-Reinbacher

Done.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Man if Chicago take Demidov, they have spent a lot of draft picks on sub 6 foot forwards. Bedard, Nazar, Moore, Ludwinski, Kantserov are all top 2 round picks in the last 2 years
They are also in for the long rebuild. They understand that getting talented player is the most important thing in hockey. Once they have a set of core talented players than will start nitpicking on size or trade picks to acquire large sized players. I think it's fine as long as you select very talented players

Reactions: bsl

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm not sure..

I liked Zetterberg at the U18s before he got hurt.
Freij and Sahlin Wallenius likely go in round 1 so not them.
Lucas Pettersson had some moments but the skill looks lesser than the frame and skating.
Noel Fransen gets no love from public scouting lists but he's got a lot of talent.

Karl Sterner?
Hugo Traff?

Anaheim wants right shot D or right shot forwards.. but if that scenario plays out, it's almost assured the Habs would just take Levshunov. They didn't rule out a right shot D and staring at the best D man in the draft who shoots right at 5 would be a god-send.

Guhle-Levshunov
Hutson-Reinbacher

Done.
There's a guy named Zetterberg in this draft?

Let's just draft all these former Wings. What could possibly go wrong?

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
They are also in for the long rebuild. They understand that getting talented player is the most important thing in hockey. Once they have a set of core talented players than will start nitpicking on size or trade picks to acquire large sized players. I think it's fine as long as you select very talented players

Defenseman still take longer to develop and getting them early in your build is important. I can see them going Levshunov but that doesn't mean we get Demidov, Columbus has need for scoring.

Reactions: bsl

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
That's an enticing idea on paper, until you start trying to find that specific team that has a young established player they spent time developping and would now rather turn back the clock and take a chance on a younger less proven player in hopes of getting better value.

Very specific circumstances needed for that to happen, I feel the bar was set unrealistically high with the Dach trade on year 1, people expect that kind of high impact trade each year. (Newhook was similar but not as high value).

CHI was going full scorched earth mode back then even though they'd had a recent top 3 pick with some injury history which is why they were willing to let him go. I don't see another team with an equivalent incentive and asset, do you?
Plus how many Top 5 picks truly need 3 years of development anymore before being in the NHL? At most they seem to need 2. Of course they develop further in the NHL, but they still have an impact far earlier these days.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Really the worst case scenario for us is if Lindstrom/Demidov go with Levshunov in the top 4.

But I guess at that point you're pretty much locked in to getting paid to slide down 2-3 slots and still get Iginla/Sennecke.
I wonder if a team would really trade up for Silayev though. He’s risky enough to select in the Top 5, I can’t imagine a team trading multiple assets to do so.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Man if Chicago take Demidov, they have spent a lot of draft picks on sub 6 foot forwards. Bedard, Nazar, Moore, Ludwinski, Kantserov are all top 2 round picks in the last 2 years
I feel like this might play into their desicion making

Unless Demidov is on a tier by himself and a clear and undisputed 2, I think they go D

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Considering there could be a case made to choose any one of Buium, Dickinson or Silayev in the top 5, I disagree.

You're hindering your ability to trade down at max value if the teams you're trading with don't think you have the same target as them. It's one position, but it represents a number of the most desirable players available at the top of the order this year.

2 will be gone in the top 5, that's my point. Thus this is a complete nothingburger.

skidcells

May 11, 2023
MBN with a goal at the worlds. Realistically, iginla and sennecke will be gone if we want to trade back up to the 12-15 range. MBN would be my personal target at that spot. Love his game

Reactions: Locks

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I wonder if a team would really trade up for Silayev though. He’s risky enough to select in the Top 5, I can’t imagine a team trading multiple assets to do so.

Pronman mentioned multiple scouts from NHL teams he's talked to said they'd consider him as early as 2. Seems like he has a lot of major backers in the NHL which makes sense with Bob's polls so far.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Going by what the pundits are saying, NHL scouts/teams don't find Silayev risky if many teams are considering him at #2. If he somehow make it to #5, there is probably quite a few team ready to climb up to take him.

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
Really the worst case scenario for us is if Lindstrom/Demidov go with Levshunov in the top 4.

But I guess at that point you're pretty much locked in to getting paid to slide down 2-3 slots and still get Iginla/Sennecke.

I would gladly overpay Chicago to get the Russian kid. My proposal would something like this :
  • 5th OV
  • 1st 2024 WPG
  • Joshua Roy
  • One of Struble , Harris or Barron.
In the words of Bergevin, that's me trying to make a PlayStation trade :sarcasm:.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I feel like this might play into their desicion making

Unless Demidov is on a tier by himself and a clear and undisputed 2, I think they go D
While they are all smaller, none of them other than Bedard and Nazar inspire much confidence moving forward. The Hawks are lacking talent everywhere.

I think what plays more in their decision making is that next year they should be just as bad and there are better forward than defence options.

Reactions: bsl and Doublechin

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
While they are all smaller, none of them other than Bedard and Nazar inspire much confidence moving forward. The Hawks are lacking talent everywhere.

I think what plays more in their decision making is that next year they should be just as bad and there are better forward than defence options.

Levshunov would be tough to turn down for them.. but then it's really just allowing Columbus to go Demidov at 4.

What it might do is allow Anaheim to be open to trading down to Montreal.

They may feel better at taking Helenius/Yakemchuk at 5. We get Demidov at 3, and CBJ gets Silayev.

Reactions: Takeru

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Going by what the pundits are saying, NHL scouts/teams don't find Silayev risky if many teams are considering him at #2. If he somehow make it to #5, there is probably quite a few team ready to climb up to take him.
I get it gambling if you have a pick there already, it’s a big gamble. But I find trading up to get him if you’re outside the Top 5 would be an even bigger gamble on a guy we know will be an NHLer, but at what capacity? Just not a move I’d personally make as a GM

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That could be good news for the Habs if the pick being transacted belongs to a team drafting 2-4, and say that team favored drafting a forward but got an offer too good to turn down.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I get it gambling if you have a pick there already, it’s a big gamble. But I find trading up to get him if you’re outside the Top 5 would be an even bigger gamble on a guy we know will be an NHLer, but at what capacity? Just not a move I’d personally make as a GM

I personally wouldn't take him top 10 but if NHL scouts and GMs see him as a clear top 4 player in the draft, some at 2, then paying a high 2nd to jump up 2 spots and get your guy isn't that horrible.

Reactions: le_sean

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Plus how many Top 5 picks truly need 3 years of development anymore before being in the NHL? At most they seem to need 2. Of course they develop further in the NHL, but they still have an impact far earlier these days.
Right, especially a forward. At most a year back in whatever junior league + maybe another in AHL and brought up by the end or following season.
Maybe 1-2 NHL season before having a significant impact depending how long he spent in lower leagues.
Plus the bonus of having that player on his ELC and 1st RFA contract.

Reactions: le_sean

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad