Votes: 11 3.2%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 55 15.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 18 5.2%

• Total voters

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
The more I have thought about it, if Lindstrom and Demidov are both gone at our pick at 5 we should either trade down and draft a forward or take the best right shot D among our scouts consensus at 5.

Levshunov is the only RHD that I have in the top 10 as I don't like Parekh much at all and Yakemchuk has too may IQ concerns for me. I actually like Jiricek more than these two but wouldn't take him in the top ten either.

I have Dickinson, Silayev and Buium in the top ten but I don't think Hughes will draft a LHD and Levshunov is likely gone before we pick so just take the BPA forward at 5 OA and call it a day.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I was wrong we would land Dubois but I think I'm going to be right that we land Zegras (lol). I don't know how but I think it happens. When I hear media reports that the Ducks were not shopping Zegras but they were certainly listening when teams call, I do think Hughes was one of them and explored several packages we could offer (serious offers). Ducks engaged but both sides decided to delay it for the draft day.

Could be our 5th pick or could be one of Reinbacher or Guhle. I'm not 100% at trading Guhle but I am open (more like 60/40) in favor of of not trading him. However, I think we can survive on the back end without Guhle and adding Zegras and Iggy to the forward group. Zegras to me is trending as low as he will. Buy low now like we did with Dach. I understand the Sergachev/Drouin worry.

I think I can live with this like we did without Romanov.
Guhle out
Zegras and Iggy in.
* Not sure if we can pull off a Jets 1st++ for Zegras. Doubt it.

I like Iggy more than Sennecke. Close but I prefer the younger one who is trending and Iggy is just as heavy in weight as the older Sennecke.
I hope we land Zegras. I'm about 60/40 for not trading Guhle though. I fear we will plug one hole and create another.

My offer would be the Jets pick plus the better of our two picks next year plus Harris. If that doesn't do it. Then we target someone else.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
We should not trade Guhle for Zegras. Basically you’d have to go LHD at 5, which is fine (remplace Guhle with Dickinson or Buium). But the contract situation of a Iginla Lindstrom or Sennecke will be much better than Zegras and I expect them to compete much harder. Hard pass

Reactions: McGees

skidcells

May 11, 2023
If the Habs draft a LD, what do you guys think they could extract for Matheson, Guhle, Huston, Xhekaj on the trade market
When your GM comes out and says they aren’t looking to draft a LD, it means we aren’t looking to draft a LD.

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
Levshunov is the only RHD that I have in the top 10 as I don't like Parekh much at all and Yakemchuk has too may IQ concerns for me. I actually like Jiricek more than these two but wouldn't take him in the top ten either.

I have Dickinson, Silayev and Buium in the top ten but I don't think Hughes will draft a LHD and Levshunov is likely gone before we pick so just take the BPA forward at 5 OA and call it a day.

If Levshunov falls to 5 he would immediately be our best RHD prospect by a mile and likely make Barron or Reinbacher expendable

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
With the Winnipeg pick, would you guys want the Habs to draft Connelly if he is available?

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006

I think Yakemchuk has three times the IQ Levshunov has. Yakemchuk's main concern is mobility. Levshunov has amazing tools and is a gem in offensive zone highlight reels but not many Dmen become impact players with his questionable hockey sense. We'll see if the tools overcome his poor reads and lack of defensive urgency.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
If Levshunov falls to 5 he would immediately be our best RHD prospect by a mile and likely make Barron or Reinbacher expendable
OMG! Reinbacher is a far better defenseman and thinks the game at a much higher level. He's been playing well against strong pro men since his D-minus-1 year.

Reactions: dinodebino

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I want iginla some how some way. I hope we trade into the top 10 and keep our #5.

I'll be happy if we pick him at #5 even if Lindstrom is still there. I feel like Iginla is a good bet to be a 30 goal top 6 guy who shows up in the playoffs. Like a smarter Pacioretty who isn't Casperetty or Patio Ready after the regular season.

Lindstrom is the bigger home run swing but I worry more about his downside. Either way I trust our development staff way more now than in the disastrous Bergevin era.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
OMG! Reinbacher is a far better defenseman and thinks the game at a much higher level. He's been playing well against strong pro men since his D-minus-1 year.

I agree with you. Seriously, if I have a choice between both this year, I would draft Reinbacher. But that's close.

Reactions: dinodebino

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
I think Yakemchuk has three times the IQ Levshunov has. Yakemchuk's main concern is mobility. Levshunov has amazing tools and is a gem in offensive zone highlight reels but not many Dmen become impact players with his questionable hockey sense. We'll see if the tools overcome his poor reads and lack of defensive urgency.
I have a great solution for you guys: Zeev Buium. LD though, but you won't have mobility or IQ issues.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Management : "Look at Sennecke and Iginla, they are late risers that we could pick at #5!"

Meanwhile, Dickinson is playing key minutes in the OHL finals and Buium destroyed U20s at 17 and was a key part of a NCAA champions roster.

"But but but we have mega stars Guhle, Xhekaj, Harris and Engstrom on the left side"

*sigh*

Not justba scout among others.
I'm with you Michoulicious. Sam Dickinson and Zeev Buium are best players available at 5th overall. Not Sennecke, not Iginla, not Lindstrom even.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
I'm warming more to the idea of slipping back a bit if a team pays you and Lindstrom/Demidov are gone.

I think I'd feel a lot better about taking Helenius Iginla Sennecke and forcing themselves into getting Catton (please do) and getting an extra asset to jump up with the Jets pick.

I'm right there as well. Especially given Arizona/Ottawa/Seattle are all likely to go D.

Pipe dream would be Newhook + 5 + 2025 1st + something else for Beniers + 8. Then complete a second line of Catton/Iginla/Sennecke-Beniers-Dach.

More realistically, a trade down with Calgary for 9 + Vancouver's 1st would work for me.
with Demidov and Lindstrom gone i would love a trade down inside the top 10, then package whatever additional asset you get from trading down along with the Winnipeg pick for an additional top 15 pick.

imagine if 6 defensemen get picked in the top 10 and walking away with Sennecke and Catton or Sennecke and Helenius - unlikely but I'll be dreaming about it until late June

Reactions: themilosh

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
I'll be happy if we pick him at #5 even if Lindstrom is still there. I feel like Iginla is a good bet to be a 30 goal top 6 guy who shows up in the playoffs. Like a smarter Pacioretty who isn't Casperetty or Patio Ready after the regular season.

Lindstrom is the bigger home run swing but I worry more about his downside. Either way I trust our development staff way more now than in the disastrous Bergevin era.
Right now I think I’d pick Tij over Liddy to.

Would you guys dangle caufield to get the number 7 OV pick? 5 and 7 iggy and a D or lindstrom

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I can see what you're saying but if they want Lindstrom they won't trade us their pick because they know we want him. If they don't want Lindstrom, we'll get him anyway.
if they want him then of course they will select him, but (if they have their eye on someone else) they would be smart to accept Mesar and swap picks. why not capitalize on extra asset opportunities? Same with Habs, if Hugo (aren't going to select Iginla) then they should be trading with Calgary for a bigger package (because there is more risk dropping back 4 spots).

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
The way this draft is looking like at the moment, there’s basically Celebrini, then a couple Russians, and then a massive tier of ten guys, with half those players being dmen. I don’t think there’s a big difference between the likes of Lidstrom, Sennecke, Catton, Iginla, Helenius… Demidov I have a half tier ahead strictly for on ice ability but the Russian factor does bring him in line with those other guys. Same thing on D, there isn’t a whole lot separating the likes of Levshunov, Buium, Yakemchuk, Parekh, Dickinson… I’ve got Silayev a half tier above again but like Demidov Russian factor knocks him down slightly.

Picking 5, we just have to identify the guy who fits best with what we want and take him. This isn’t a draft where we need to hope anyone really falls to us, nor is this a draft where should want to trade up. At 5 we will be able to grab one of the top forwards on our board, it’s just a matter of taking the right guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad