• Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 54 17.6%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 17 5.5%

• Total voters

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
who are you willing to give up that is also worth a mid-first?

not saying it's a bad idea - just not sure who fits that equation that doesn't fit the team's long-term plans.
Depends where that pick is. If closer to 10th overall, the only 2 D-men worth that are Matheson and Ghule so Matheson would be the obvious choice.

If closer to 15th, maybe Xhekaj and Mailloux can yield that.

Ultimately you only do that trade if you absolutely love Sennecke and believe he can be a top 6 forward.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
We need quality. Trading down is stupid. Trade up, not down.

The only assets ID try to move would be Matheson, Struble or Harris. Matheson could be shopped for NJDs pick, whom I believe they should try to move and I'm not sure the other three get us in the first round, though Romanov did and I view Romanov and Struble as similar quality.

Draft whoever you want at 5 and go with it. Sennecke isn't my pick and he seems to be another flavor of the week on this board. Realistically going Sennecke when one of Lindstrom, Demidov, Catton or Iginla is on yhe board would drive me mad but I can't deny he's a good prospect too.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I'd say exactly that if they asked me about playing (and living) in Toronto, Ottawa, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary, Philly, New York, Colombus, LA, Carolina, Sunrise, and Buffalo. Miss me with these shitty ass cities bro I ain't living there.
Have you been to all those cities? A few of them are great places.

Reactions: Troyp

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I wonder how good is the lecture of GMs about other teams draft strategies. I assume if other teams are calling you to trade up or down, you ask them for what player they wanna do it so they don't snag the player you want.

For example, let's say Columbus get no.1 pick and Habs win the 2nd OA. Columbus obviously take Celebrini. Habs want to draft Lindstrom then Demidov in that order. Then Chicago calls you and offers the 20th pick to to move from 4OA to 2OA because they target Levshunov and don't want SJ to take him before them at 3OA. I assume they give this info to Hugues because otherwise he wouldn't do it right?

I wonder how much inofs a GM can get by talking moving up or down in the draft??

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Why so? If I may ask.
I think that as far as the forwards are concerned, I think that Catton and Eiserman have an elite skill that Lindstrom doesn't have. The closest to Lindstrom is Iginla as far as skills/grit type of player. And while right now, it's not the most brillant way of analysing things, I have a really hard time with Lindstrom skating technique AND somehow not convinced he'll be able to bring his offensive game to the NHL. Having said that...he's not in the 2nd round either. He's top 10 in my books 'cause you can fix skating. But right now I believe we're too enamoured with the size.

Then, you have to add Parekh who has done something insane this year, you have to respect that and I think his defensive liabilities are overblown. And one of my favorite player of the whole draft for his complete game is Buium. Though....he might be another one who is not elite in anything...but he's insanely great everywhere.

For me, the highest you have in a top 10, the highest I want my guys to be first and foremost offensive. The only thing that can happen till the end is Iginla dropping a little 'cause after a few more vids, I could become skeptical of that offense. Who would benefit it? Maybe Lindstrom. Levshunov....he's a talented kid for sure. But he's one in there that shows his age so much....really inconsistent in my viewings.

Yet, again, they are all in my top 10. When it's time to rank, I need to find the little detail to do so. Frankly, as much as I do have a man crush on Iginla and Buium, at this point, we would pick Lindstrom and there will be great reasons to do so.

Reactions: Fenris and Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I really doubt Struble has very much trade value tbh.
But Romanov did though, and are they far off each other in value? Both were 22 when they got traded, similar production, similar player styles, similar everything.

I understand Romanovs trade may have been a "high cost" for what he was at the time but it did pay out for the Isles. They got a cost controlled top 4 D. The same could happen for Struble, but they have to find someone crazy enough to gamble on it like Lou did. The pick would also be 5 spots later, and you'd add a third.

I guess Lou ain't doing that a second time, or is he? Lmao.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I wonder how good is the lecture of GMs about other teams draft strategies. I assume if other teams are calling you to trade up or down, you ask them for what player they wanna do it so they don't snag the player you want.

For example, let's say Columbus get no.1 pick and Habs win the 2nd OA. Columbus obviously take Celebrini. Habs want to draft Lindstrom then Demidov in that order. Then Chicago calls you and offers the 20th pick to to move from 4OA to 2OA because they target Levshunov and don't want SJ to take him before them at 3OA. I assume they give this info to Hugues because otherwise he wouldn't do it right?

I wonder how much inofs a GM can get by talking moving up or down in the draft??
Lots of stuff over the years points to teams having a fairly good idea of who other teams are targeting but it's never perfect. There's always a risk that the guy you want won't be there so in terms of deciding whether to do a trade or not it's about how big a gap there is between your first and second or even third choice (If moving down more then a couple spots) as much as it is about how confidant you are in knowing who other teams want.

If they think there first choice is a guaranteed 1st liner, and everyone else is a 2nd liner that maybe can surprise and become a top liner then even if you are 90% sure trading down still allows you that first choice selection it's probably not worth it because the gap between your 1st and 2nd choice is so big. In this years draft it's kind of all over the place but I get the feeling that's less because scouts are seeing everybody as more or less equal but more that they really do love certain players more then others but who they love is just different.

Reactions: Benstheman

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Lots of stuff over the years points to teams having a fairly good idea of who other teams are targeting but it's never perfect. There's always a risk that the guy you want won't be there so in terms of deciding whether to do a trade or not it's about how big a gap there is between your first and second or even third choice (If moving down more then a couple spots) as much as it is about how confidant you are in knowing who other teams want.

If they think there first choice is a guaranteed 1st liner, and everyone else is a 2nd liner that maybe can surprise and become a top liner then even if you are 90% sure trading down still allows you that first choice selection it's probably not worth it because the gap between your 1st and 2nd choice is so big. In this years draft it's kind of all over the place but I get the feeling that's less because scouts are seeing everybody as more or less equal but more that they really do love certain players more then others but who they love is just different.
I agree. But don't know if it will make the trades up and down more frequent than a normal year.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
But Romanov did though, and are they far off each other in value? Both were 22 when they got traded, similar production, similar player styles, similar everything.

I understand Romanovs trade may have been a "high cost" for what he was at the time but it did pay out for the Isles. They got a cost controlled top 4 D. The same could happen for Struble, but they have to find someone crazy enough to gamble on it like Lou did. The pick would also be 5 spots later, and you'd add a third.

And before the Romanov trade, Lou traded Devon Toews for two 2nd round picks.

He certainly has made bad deals since arriving in long island. The pageau contract. The Palmieri contract. The Anders Lee contract. He's definitely a GM to target for trades at this point in his career.

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017

Obviously I’ve never heard those conversations but I’d bet the GM holding the pick will 100% not trade with you if you don’t tell him who you want to move up for.

If you don’t want to tell me why you’re moving up I’m assuming it’s because you want to draft the guy that I want as well. Otherwise why won’t you tell me?

Also is there any example of a GM lying in that scenario? I wonder how bad it would be if a GM moved up and said I’m taking this guy and then took another (probably the guy the team with the original pick wanted).

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

Romanov had a lot more exposure than Struble though, he had two very good WJC-20 tournies and he had a lot of flash to go along with his physical play. Not to mention a full season playing as a Top-4 for us.

Struble is Romanov without any of the flash, or potential, if you will.

Struble is fine but I don’t think he holds any real value to anyone right now.

He’s the kind of guy that gets traded to move a couple spots up in the 1st round, providing a team sees some value in him.

Ex: Struble + Winnipeg 1st (currently 27th) for Nashville 1st (currently 22nd).

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Romanov had a lot more exposure than Struble though, he had two very good WJC-20 tournies and he had a lot of flash to go along with his physical play. Not to mention a full season playing as a Top-4 for us.

Struble is Romanov without any of the flash, or potential, if you will.

Struble is fine but I don’t think he holds any real value to anyone right now.

He’s the kind of guy that gets traded to move a couple spots up in the 1st round, providing a team sees some value in him.

Ex: Struble + Winnipeg 1st (currently 27th) for Nashville 1st (currently 22nd).
Yeah you're underrating what a young 22 YO physical specimen is worth on the market.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad