HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

ginomini

May 25, 2014
In the WHL. Whether he can, or will even bother to try, to do in the NHL at that size remains to be seen. I’ll be surprised if he’s drafted in the top 15, given his size and where Benson, who’s probably a better player, was drafted last year.
Benson fell because of size + skating. I don't think that the same red flags will be used for Catton.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
No progression!
Two of them were goals 8 and 9 vs an overmatched Team Slovakia in a 9-0 game. The entire world knows he can score....and man can he ever score. However, I really don't think today showed anything we don't know.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Two of them were goals 8 and 9 vs an overmatched Team Slovakia in a 9-0 game. The entire world knows he can score....and man can he ever score. However, I really don't think today showed anything we don't know.

It wasn't an inspiring hat-trick.

Got an open net off of a failed attempt by Ziemer at the side of the net.
Jammed home his fifteenth attempt on a rebound.
Deflected off him.

The rest of the time he didn't really create anything.. like I know that's silly to say about a hat-trick, but I've soured a lot on this guy since this time last year. At least with Caufield you were confident the shot would translate, I don't even know if Eiserman's shot is that good but it does seem to fool goalies at every level he's played so maybe there is some deceptive element to it.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
It wasn't an inspiring hat-trick.

Got an open net off of a failed attempt by Ziemer at the side of the net.
Jammed home his fifteenth attempt on a rebound.
Deflected off him.

The rest of the time he didn't really create anything.. like I know that's silly to say about a hat-trick, but I've soured a lot on this guy since this time last year. At least with Caufield you were confident the shot would translate, I don't even know if Eiserman's shot is that good but it does seem to fool goalies at every level he's played so maybe there is some deceptive element to it.
Oh Eiserman can definitely shoot. I think Caufield's better at finding open areas (more willing) and more elusive however.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
That draft sim is so fun. Just did one. Had the 5th pick. Traded back to 9th. Then made a whole bunch of trades to score the 10th and 18th. Based on the randomness of the rankings on that site, I ended up with.....

9th - Lindstrom
10th - Buium
18th - Iginla
198th - Kaden Pitre - C
210th - Samuel Kupec - LD
217th - Marko Bilic - G
I hope that you get a seat at the draft table.

This is the reason that I can't understand those who are threatening to abandon the team if Hughes and Company draft another defenceman at 5 OA. Drafting the best player available is, and remains, an unimpeachable strategy.
Who exactly is making such a threat? :skeptic:
(Perhaps one of my many ignores...)

• Love
Reactions: waitin425

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
What are the attributes you put first for BPA ?

#1 = Hockey IQ
#2 = Size
#3 = Skating skills
#4 = Position
#5 = Shoot, passing skills
#6 = Grid
#7 = Attitude
#8 = Injurie prone
#9 = From where (Country, what teams he played for)
#10 = Intellect (i think you can have great hockey IQ and poor intellect)
My number two traits, are #work ethic + #competitiveness then the rest.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu

#1 = Hockey IQ
The two bolded, to me, are highly positively correlated. It's rare to find that kind of idiot savant with high hockey IQ.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
In the WHL. Whether he can, or will even bother to try, to do in the NHL at that size remains to be seen. I’ll be surprised if he’s drafted in the top 15, given his size and where Benson, who’s probably a better player, was drafted last year.
He's one of the smartest players in the draft, I have no concern about him adapting to the NHL. He'll have his moments where he does too much or tries to cut to the inside and it doesn't work, but he'll quickly figure out how to read defenses at that level, and will make the adjustments to succeed.

Reactions: crosbyshow

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
For me, the hockey IQ is #1, and by very far.

1. Hockey IQ
---------------
2. Shoot, passing skills
3. Skating skill.
---------------
4. Position: I'd never draft a goalie in the 1st round, maybe not in 2nd round neither. At equal talent, I'd take a C over a W or a D.
5. Size: This attribute is very often over-rated by GMs.
6. Attitude: this might be more important than the position and size, but this attribute isn't clear, it's subjective. Moreover, some are already mature at 18, some become mature at 22.
7. Injury history: similarly, this might be ranked higher than position and size, but since most of them are in a good shape, so this attribute isn't that important.
8. Toughness
9. From where: the League where he plays is more important than his country or team
10. Intellect: some goon or 4th liners are quite smart in life: Parros, Laraque, Quintal, Darche, etc.

Hockey IQ is #1

Durability is #2

The rest is pretty similar to your list.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016

#1 = Hockey IQ
#2 = Size
#3 = Skating skills
#4 = Position
#6 = Grid
#7 = Attitude
#8 = Injurie prone

1. Stats
2. Height
3. Position
4. Name vibe

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
So in summary, all the F's are injury prone and too risky to draft! Yay!

Would suck for hockey if Demidov were to become injury prone.

I noted he tried skating entering the second period for a bit, but was clearly in pain. Loko was in the midst of a horrible performance, so SKA correctly let him sit the rest of it out.

If SKA were to lose today, I wonder if he might come back later to help close out the series.

Reactions: WinterLion and Leto

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

#1 = Hockey IQ
#2 = Size
#3 = Skating skills
#4 = Position
#6 = Grid
#7 = Attitude
#8 = Injurie prone
You’re missing 2 core skills: stick handling and checking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad