HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
What does Marner have to do with Catton?

Catton makes a lot of plays in the middle of the ice.. Marner doesn't
In the WHL. Whether he can, or will even bother to try, to do in the NHL at that size remains to be seen. I’ll be surprised if he’s drafted in the top 15, given his size and where Benson, who’s probably a better player, was drafted last year.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: CHwest

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Catton is not even small. Folks are reading measurements that were taken last year when he was 17. Wait until the combine to complain. Isn't that a reasonable request?
I don't think it's unfair to say he looks small-ish on the ice. I really doubt he's 5'11. Doesn't matter, still an excellent prospect.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
In the WHL. Whether he can, or will even bother to try, to do in the NHL at that size remains to be seen.

FWIW, the WHL is probably the closest comparable to the NHL in terms of playstyle and relative physicality.

OF COURSE, the NHL is faster and has bigger and more mature men, but I don’t think Catton is gonna get pancaked and throttled every shift.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
If demidov is off the board,

Why would we take even a slight chance on Lindstrom (health) if Ignila is still available?

Iginla would be my pick just as Ryan Leonard was my pick last year (risk management).

Don't get me wrong, I really like Lindstrom like the most of us.
Lidstrom's situation will be well known long before the draft whatever it is.
If our scouting team determines it can become a hindrance to his progression they will simply pass.
It's probably one of the last things I would worry about.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
What are the attributes you put first for BPA ?

#1 = Hockey IQ
#2 = Size
#3 = Skating skills
#4 = Position
#5 = Shoot, passing skills
#6 = Grid
#7 = Attitude
#8 = Injurie prone
#9 = From where (Country, what teams he played for)
#10 = Intellect (i think you can have great hockey IQ and poor intellect)

Reactions: zzoo

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Lidstrom's situation will be well known long before the draft whatever it is.
If our scouting team determines it can become a hindrance to his progression they will simply pass.
It's probably one of the last things I would worry about.
I liked his interview with d'amico saying there's no issues with his back and he'll be 100% ready to go for camp. No surgery, just rehab is a beautiful thing to hear. I guess he could be lying of course but the great thing is all those documents will be provided to the teams ahead of time. They probably already have the to be honest.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
In the WHL. Whether he can, or will even bother to try, to do in the NHL at that size remains to be seen. I’ll be surprised if he’s drafted in the top 15, given his size and where Benson, who’s probably a better player, was drafted last year.

Ok

That's an argument we'll never win.

Smaller guy = perimeter guy to most people.

And bigger guy is no talent no IQ grinder

Reactions: Rozz and L4br3cqu3

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Theres no maybe about it.Benson is better offensively and of course defensively. The problem with your statement though is that Benson shouldn't have fell so low, so let's not use NHL GMs stupidity.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004

#1 = Hockey IQ
#2 = Size
#3 = Skating skills
#4 = Position
#6 = Grid
#7 = Attitude
#8 = Injurie prone
For me, the hockey IQ is #1, and by very far.

1. Hockey IQ
---------------
2. Shoot, passing skills
3. Skating skill.
---------------
4. Position: I'd never draft a goalie in the 1st round, maybe not in 2nd round neither. At equal talent, I'd take a C over a W or a D.
5. Size: This attribute is very often over-rated by GMs.
6. Attitude: this might be more important than the position and size, but this attribute isn't clear, it's subjective. Moreover, some are already mature at 18, some become mature at 22.
7. Injury history: similarly, this might be ranked higher than position and size, but since most of them are in a good shape, so this attribute isn't that important.
8. Toughness
9. From where: the League where he plays is more important than his country or team
10. Intellect: some goon or 4th liners are quite smart in life: Parros, Laraque, Quintal, Darche, etc.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Theres no maybe about it.Benson is better offensively and of course defensively. The problem with your statement though is that Benson shouldn't have fell so low, so let's not use NHL GMs stupidity.
But he did, and NHL GM's continue to run their teams, not you, so I continue to believe that Catton will not be drafted in the top 15.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011

#1 = Hockey IQ
#2 = Size
#3 = Skating skills
#4 = Position
#6 = Grid
#7 = Attitude
#8 = Injurie prone
For the Habs they have it

#1 = Attitude
#2 = From where
#3 = Position
#4 = Size
#5 = Skating skills
#6 = Grind
#7 = Hockey IQ
#8 = Intellect
#9 = Shoot, passing skills
#10 = Injury prone

Ad