HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Yes, Michkov just got god like status through the draft process because he did some stuff at 16, no one watched him much after that and once the Habs passed both Habs fans who wanted Michkov and fanbases who hate the Habs all declared him as good as Bedard.

Demidov has been talked about for awhile, just like Michkov was and there's always been a debate on who is better. Demidov just never got to tear up a WJC or a U18 to get the mainstream hype that comes from being on television.
Michkov and Bedard were compared going years back, and widely considered close to neck and neck before their draft years where Michkov didn't get as much exposure and hit pieces came out about his "attitude problems".

I still think Bedard was better, but he was an easy number 2, and IMO would be slightly above Demidov (who I have in a tier with Celebrini this year).

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
No. BPA means every player being ranked in a vacuum regardless of need.
Yes, you have to rank the players because that's the way the draft works. But that doesn't remove the fact that there's not much that separates some of these players. You can't make that accurate predictions, like if you think one guy is going be a "star defenseman" and the other "star forward", how do you make that decision in a "vacuum" not caring about organizational need?

If we were talking about "star defenseman" vs "possible top 6 guy", then of course. Or a "franchise player" vs "star player". But if the scouts determine that they are in the same tier, that there's no clear answer, how do you make that final ranking?

Reactions: Goalfield22

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Yes, you have to rank the players because that's the way the draft works. But that doesn't remove the fact that there's not much that separates some of these players. You can't make that accurate predictions, like if you think one guy is going be a "star defenseman" and the other "star forward", how do you make that decision in a "vacuum" not caring about organizational need?

If we were talking about "star defenseman" vs "possible top 6 guy", then of course. Or a "franchise player" vs "star player". But if the scouts determine that they are in the same tier, that there's no clear answer, how do you make that final ranking?

I don’t claim to know how teams operate but I think it would be a spectacular waste of foresight to not commit to ranking each player individually, especially with a top5 pick. Top 5 picks are so incredibly valuable, you waste an entire season to get one and making the right pick can alter the course of your franchise for 15+ years. And we’re here saying all LDs are DND because of Struble and Xhekaj. How do you determine the ranking ? Eye test. What scouts do.

It is known that in 2017 the Flyers scouts had Cale Makar ahead of Nolan Patrick but Paul Holmgren decided to disregard them and go Patrick anyway. Did they have them in the “same tier” or did Holmgren believe “might aswell throw my dart at a center” ?

Reactions: Habs7631

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Agree with your post except for that part. They don't "have to." And at no lower than 7, they can draft a forward who is, for lack of a better description, "good enough" to pass over maybe a more highly regarded left D, like Buium or Dickinson, for instance. They're not going to draft a left D with their first pick. Leshunov or Parehk? Maybe.
I don't have that solid a view on any of the prospects, I'm not saying "Buium or bust." If Hughes and his scouts think that at their spot, when they are on the clock, that there is only one player left who projects to be a difference maker they should take that player regardless of position. If they think it is close I expect they will avoid the LDs and consider team fit.

In most drafts there are a few players at the top considered to be special. You don't skip those guys because of position, though, if you are lucky, you can choose between them. The habs seem to be pretty good at projecting defensemen, if they see a franchise guy they have to take him, at least unless they also see a potential franchise forward. Asset management is pretty important but not as important as acquiring the best 4-5 players who are going to carry your team. Complementary players, like Lekhonen, will look way better or way worse depending on those few guys.

Reactions: Habs7631

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013

BPA is not an accurate term either, BAA is more realistic, Best Asset Available. Have heard many GMs talk about how hard it is to get Cs or RHDs in trades/ free agency so there’s a supply/demand premium put on those positions over wingers that should be BPA in many cases but fall

Reactions: jrom

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
Reactions: Kent Nilsson

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
The great thing this year and with AZ coming in clutch again.
Is even if we miss on Demidov who's comfortably ahead of the rest, we still get to potentially line up a freakish trio of Slaf, Lindstrom, Dach in the top 6 - something we'd never dare dream of during the MB days.

Imagine being the Bruins or Leafs and having to line up against that in a best of 7 series.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
It is known that in 2017 the Flyers scouts had Cale Makar ahead of Nolan Patrick but Paul Holmgren decided to disregard them and go Patrick anyway. Did they have them in the “same tier” or did Holmgren believe “might aswell throw my dart at a center” ?

Game of telephone went from Hextall ignoring Heiskanen to Holmgren ignoring Makar.

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017

Easy for me to say because I don’t know what really happened in that room with the Flyers but I don’t get GM/Owners that override their scouting department. Like your organization is spending millions on dollars on those people to fly all over the world and spend countless of hours scouting these prospects. If they tell you after all that player X is who we want and you say no, I want this guy, why ?

I feel like over the years I read so many horror stories of GM/Owner overruling their scouting department just for it to be a bad mistake. Not just in the NHL, but I follow most team sports and it seems to happens everywhere. Best example recently the NBA Kings owner overruling his team when they wanted Doncic. Instead he insisted on Bagley who’s now a bench player for the worst team in the league meanwhile Doncic is on franchise GOAT trajectory.

I’m sure there’s also example of GM/owner overruling and it worked out but we rarely hear about those.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent Nilsson

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Easy for me to say because I don’t know what really happened in that room with the Flyers but I don’t get GM/Owners that override their scouting department. Like your organization is spending millions on dollars on those people to fly all over the world and spend countless of hours scouting these prospects. If they tell you after all that player X is who we want and you say no, I want this guy, why ?

I feel like over the years I read so many horror stories of GM/Owner overruling their scouting department just for it to be a bad mistake. Not just in the NHL, but I follow most team sports and it seems to happens everywhere. Best example recently the NBA Kings owner overruling his team when they wanted Doncic. Instead he insisted on Bagley who’s now a bench player for the worst team in the league meanwhile Doncic is on franchise GOAT trajectory.

I’m sure there’s also example of GM/owner overruling and it worked out but we rarely hear about those.
That’s not limited to just Sports, I’m sure we have all worked for bosses that couldn’t find their asses with both hands in the dark that make incredibly dumb decisions due to narcissistic personalities.

Reactions: Beer and Chips

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
That’s not limited to just Sports, I’m sure we have all worked for bosses that couldn’t find their asses with both hands in the dark that make incredibly dumb decisions due to narcissistic personalities.

Oh for sure.

Now to be fair it’s a bit different for owners. If I spent billions of dollars to buy a team, damn right we’re drafting whoever I want.

Now if I overrule the drafting department and my player becomes a bum while the player you guys recommended me becomes a beast for another team I’m firing all of you. How could you let this happen??? You should have down a better job convincing me to draft that guy! :sarcasm:

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Levshunov would definitely make Reinbacher or Mailloux expendable
Truth be told, everyone of our defencemen, current or prospective, other than Hutson, is expendable.

But such an approach is the essence of good asset management: the acquisition of superior talent that adds to your pool of talent who can either directly improve your team or who provides valuable/marketable assets that can be moved for other valuable assets that your team is lacking.

This is the reason that I can't understand those who are threatening to abandon the team if Hughes and Company draft another defenceman at 5 OA. Drafting the best player available is, and remains, an unimpeachable strategy.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Truth be told, everyone of our defencemen, current or prospective, other than Hutson, is expendable.

But such an approach is the essence of good asset management: the acquisition of superior talent that adds to your pool of talent who can either directly improve your team or who provides valuable/marketable assets that can be moved for other valuable assets that your team is lacking.

This is the reason that I can't understand those who are threatening to abandon the team if Hughes and Company draft another defenceman at 5 OA. Drafting the best player available is, and remains, an unimpeachable strategy.
But as has been discussed here at length, “BPA” is an amorphous, not easy to define, and fluid concept.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
1000005594.jpg

And got AJ Spellacy.

You can see I added a lot of size and took a mystery Russian. To me anyways

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad