HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Levshunov and Buium are the only two defensemen I would be excited about getting at our pick. They are not what we lack, but who doesn't need a potential top of the lineup/special player?

Other than those, at F, Celibrini ofc, Demidov. Lindstrom if they aren't worried about health. Then Helenius would be my guy (Not big, but plays big) or I would like Iginla as well.

Catton I have my doubts about, but as always, would trust the team's management and hope it works out.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Think it’s possible he makes it to us. Seems buium is the hot D name at the moment. Honestly after Celebrini, the next half dozen picks or so could go in almost any order. Personally I’m not buying the Lindstrom hype so not even including him in that group.

Buium is the hot name here cause people watched his two games against Hutson and Fowler. Just like Iginla was the hot name a week before that cause everyone saw his production in round 1 of the playoffs. I guarantee the right shot, athletic, big defenseman is more coveted.

Most of the tank teams aren't looking for d yet. San jose need literally everything so they could draft any way. Anaheim definitely need forwards more than D. Chicago need to surround Bedard with elite talent, could go either way. Columbus would take Lev for sure under Jarmo, who knows what new management is thinking.

Wouldn't shock me if no D til 5 for the second year in a row.

What? They're all looking for D. San Jose hasn't taken a defenseman in round 1 in years. Anaheim needs D way more than forwards. Chicago has specifically drafted mainly forwards and has a huge need on defense as well. In fact Columbus is the one team ahead of us who doesn't need defense more than forwards.

It's more likely Celebrini is the only forward in the top 5 than no defense goes in it.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Buium is the hot name here cause people watched his two games against Hutson and Fowler. Just like Iginla was the hot name a week before that cause everyone saw his production in round 1 of the playoffs. I guarantee the right shot, athletic, big defenseman is more coveted.

What? They're all looking for D. San Jose hasn't taken a defenseman in round 1 in years. Anaheim needs D way more than forwards. Chicago has specifically drafted mainly forwards and has a huge need on defense as well. In fact Columbus is the one team ahead of us who doesn't need defense more than forwards.

It's more likely Celebrini is the only forward in the top 5 than no defense goes in it.

Agreed, but I'm pretty sure Demidov will be in the top 4 regardless of team needs as well. Levshunov, Silayev and Dickinson completing the top 5.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Agreed, but I'm pretty sure Demidov will be in the top 4 regardless of team needs as well. Levshunov, Silayev and Dickinson completing the top 5.

Very possible, I'm holding out hope until I know for sure kinda like last year with Smith. But there's just no way there aren't multiple defense going in the top 5.

Reactions: jaffy27

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Very possible, I'm holding out hope until I know for sure kinda like last year with Smith. But there's just no way there aren't multiple defense going in the top 5.

Unless someone fell in love with Lindstrom or Catton, I don't see a 3rd forward in the top 5. In fact, I think you are right, potentially no other forward than Demidov until #8. Fairly confident we'll have our pick of Linstrom, Catton or Iginla.

GalHabsGal

Dec 14, 2012
I don't think they will do it, and I wasn't keen on it myself (drafting a D man this year especially after taking Reinbacher last year), but Buium looks like he will be an absolute killer at the next level.

I highly doubt they do it, but I would not be mad at all.

View attachment 858698

After Celebrini and Demidov, Buium is 3 on my list with Lindstrom and Helenuis

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
After Celebrini and Demidov, Buium is 3 on my list with Lindstrom and Helenuis
I may be in the acute minority here, but I think Lindstrom, injury worries aside, will go 2 OA in the upcoming draft. His combination of size, speed, skill and aggression will be too much of a lure for any team to pass on. Such is level of his upside. Then comes Buium, a larger and faster version of Hutson. This kid has star written all over him. Frankly, it wouldn’t surprise me if a team takes Buium 2 OA.

After these top three I foresee a run on large mobile defencemen: Levshunov, Dickinson and Yakemchuk. Of the three, I think Yakemchuk has the highest upside: think Shea Theodore, with explosive straight forward speed.

As for Demidov, I think the Russian factor, concerns about the level of his competition, and the availability of a number of potential top pairing defencemen will see him drop out of the top 3. Maybe even lower.

Regardless, we will have the opportunity to draft a player who will immediately become one of our top prospects.

Its a very good year to be drafting 5OA.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
This time last year it was assumed Michkov was a top two pick. Russian factor is real.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
This time last year it was assumed Michkov was a top two pick. Russian factor is real.
I think it was heightened with Michkov because of his contract status, family situation, along with his on and off ice behaviour. When he refused to meet with numerous teams....the drop was predetermined.

I haven't heard of any issues regarding Demidov but I'm so there could be some in the background.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
It'll be Lindstrom, he will amazingly fall into our laps

And we're all gonna freak out (for good and bad as per usual lol)

But honestly, we'll be laughing

“Lindstrom's injury history is greatly exaggerated.

A mini surgery on his hand and back pain linked to his significant growth in size in a short time.

In short, I am assured that there is nothing recurrent in his injuries, just bad luck. » - Marco D'Amico

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If Chicago doesn’t win the lotto for Celebrini I can see them go for Demidov.

Bedard and Demidov on the same line for the next 10+ years...

BUT

The expectations for this draft was supposed to be a strong draft for defensemen and most of them delivered. Like some of them had historical rookie seasons for defensemen.

The early projections for next year draft (2025) is that most of the top prospects are forwards (lot of centers).

So good draft for D this year, good draft for F next year. If you’re a team like CHI/SJ and you know you’re gonna pick in the top again next year, why not go for the D with #1 potential this year and grab the F with game-breaker talent next year.
If I were Chicago, I’d go D. You don’t want to turn into the Maple Leafs.

Reactions: Troyp and Redux91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad