HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
Highlight watching but Helenius gave me a Jesper Bratt vibe with also some Nicklas Backstrom flashes

He looks a bit small out there and I would be somewhat disapointed on draft day if we picked him but he looks to have nice potential. Curious to see how he develops
A Devil's piece thinks he will make a good 3C.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
His IQ and puck handling are not bad, that’s just BS.

And yeah, people are obsessed with a 6’4 forward that was on pace for 57 goals. Why wouldn’t you be? We need a goal scorer, we need size, we need a forward. He’s exactly all of that.
Yeah but the small people have their hearts set on Catton.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
From what ive seen McKenna and Basha were way better so i wonder if he was more at the good spot at the right time for his good season
They are both definitely better players at the junior level. It doesn't really matter for the junior level though. He was awesome in his role, he was basically what everyone thought Anderson was, with even more offensive abilities, of course.

Reactions: Rozz

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
We can prefer Catton to Lindstrom....what is the problem??
That's fine. People can like who they want, I never said otherwise.

I have a hard time believing this staff or any other staff in the NHL would draft an undersized player to our group that is already below average vs the rest of the NHL, that's all. People say that the Habs were worried about Michkov's attitude, but my guess is it actually came down to the fact he was very small and not a great skater. Seems like Catton isn't the profile they want in the top 10. I may be wrong though.

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.

I have a hard time believing this staff or any other staff in the NHL would draft an undersized player to our group that is already below average vs the rest of the NHL, that's all. People say that the Habs were worried about Michkov's attitude, but my guess is it actually came down to the fact he was very small and not a great skater. Seems like Catton isn't the profile they want in the top 10. I may be wrong though.

while I don't agree with your take on catton at all... your opinion on who the the Habs will or won't draft and for what reasons is as valid as anyone's here... which is to say pure conjecture. we're all guessing about that side of things. we're not in the room and in the convos... so maybe your right. I just hope your not.

but I will say, I belive the michkov thing seems pretty well documented as to why all the top teams passed on him (or he passed on them). it wasn't his size.... I think even if michkov is 6'2, those teams are still passing due to the reports of attitude, denying interviews, the contract situation and Russian / war uncertainty etc...

Indeed you are a big boy but can you skate backwards? :laugh:

well im gonna say no as I haven't skated since I was 14 and my shoe size went to 14.5... never found skates that fit me, so I went Into football / rugby in high-school :D

Last edited:

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
His IQ and puck handling are not bad, that’s just BS.

And yeah, people are obsessed with a 6’4 forward that was on pace for 57 goals. Why wouldn’t you be? We need a goal scorer, we need size, we need a forward. He’s exactly all of that.
ive watched around 25gms so im not an expert on him but from what ive seen yes the iq and puck handling isnt great he often panics and forces passes when pressured his position awareness isnt the greatest neither he often looked lost personally i think Catton is a better prospect but will go lower in the rankings just because of size

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
ive watched around 25gms so im not an expert on him but from what ive seen yes the iq and puck handling isnt great he often panics and forces passes when pressured his position awareness isnt the greatest neither he often looked lost personally i think Catton is a better prospect but will go lower in the rankings just because of size
Slaf has the exact same drawbacks and yet he's an absolute weapon in a team composition. Don't look too far ahead, what is the end goal ? You can't judge all players on the same level, some are just playing at a different level altogether. Lindstrom is so far ahead physically that it doesn't matter if he doesn't have the greatest vision, what matters is whats on the ice. Speed, size, shooting, physicality, decent passing, good hands, scoring touch around the net.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I will add that Catton is far from perfect he also has a long road ahead before becoming a star player but his hockey vision, his ability to generate scoring chances and ability to improvise and adjust what he is given by the opponent bodes very well for him. I would rather get a player that constantly create chances in various ways than a player relying a lot on his physical attributes like Lindstrom to produce.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I will add that Catton is far from perfect he also has a long road ahead before becoming a star player but his hockey vision, his ability to generate scoring chances and ability to improvise and adjust what he is given by the opponent bodes very well for him. I would rather get a player that constantly create chances in various ways than a player relying a lot on his physical attributes like Lindstrom to produce.
So you'd rather have Cooley over Slaf ? The reality is both are in the same tier and it doesn't matter much who we pick. The only thing is, if the Habs pick Catton, Demidov or Helenius, they will be seen as small again.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
So you'd rather have Cooley over Slaf ? The reality is both are in the same tier and it doesn't matter much who we pick. The only thing is, if the Habs pick Catton, Demidov or Helenius, they will be seen as small again.
I easily take Slaf but i belive hes the real deal the total package big strong,skates well,very good iq,playmaking,work ethic and passion he has it all to become a star i dont think Lindstrom is that but a year ago i also didnt think Juraj was gonna be this good

Personally i think Catton will drive his line and create tons of chances with his skill and iq while Lindstrom will rely more on puck posession and shooting both are obviously good picks but today i prefer Catton

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

We are half an inch smaller and two pound heavier then NHL average so we aren't really an undersized team. It's a label that we got years ago and people can't accept that it's really not true anymore.

It's fine to consider size in terms of the team's make up, but there's just no way you should be letting the fact that Gallagher and Harvey Pinard are dragging the team's average height down to influence your top pick. In the top-6 we would be looking at 1 undersized player, 1 slightly below average player, 1 average, and 2 big players plus whoever we draft. I have a hard time believing with that makeup we have to go with size, especially when by very small we are talking about a guy whose 5'11

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I easily take Slaf but i belive hes the real deal the total package big strong,skates well,very good iq,playmaking,work ethic and passion he has it all to become a star i dont think Lindstrom is that but a year ago i also didnt think Juraj was gonna be this good

Personally i think Catton will drive his line and create tons of chances with his skill and iq while Lindstrom will rely more on puck posession and shooting both are obviously good picks but today i prefer Catton
Lindstrom could have a similar impact to what Alex Tuch has. I'd take that any day on the Habs.

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.

I would actually prefer the "Cooley" to the "slaf" in this draft. I feel the Cooley is a
slightly better one.. where as the "Slaf" is not quite as good. maybe I'm wrong, just my view.

I also feel that we have 1 Slaf... possibly 2 in that mold if Dach stays healthy and picks up where he left off. But, We do not have a Catton type anywhere in the pipes. so I'd go for that.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
We can prefer Catton to Lindstrom....what is the problem??
Catton definitely shows more creativity and hockey IQ. I guess it depends what fans value the most from a player. Lindstrom is a mean streak kinda player. I'm not sure he'll play the same game at Center in the NHL. If he wants to keep the same intensity, I think he'll move to the wing. That's my knock on him and why I prefer Catton for the Habs. I think he can still perform and adjust what his game is lacking to remain a Center.

Would you trade our pick for Keller? Just saw a bs post on X.
No, unless you're talking about the 24-26th one, then yes.

• Haha
Reactions: Shutdown

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
Would you trade our pick for Keller? Just saw a bs post on X.
I'd definitely think long and hard about it... kids basically been a PPG player the last 3 years... hes an awesome player that would of been our best player over the last 3 years (not a huge accomplishment lol). so it comes down to do I think the kid we get this year is a guaranteed PPG player starting next year. because Keller is. and only 25. so fits the window.

I'm kinda leaning to yes if we don't get Celebrini or Demidov

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Nah Slafkovsky is very different than Lindstrom. Lindstrom is a better skater, is more physical, way more direct and he even has a better shot than Slafkovsky but in term of vision, playmaking ability to use his teammates, stickhandling and ability to use space and attract player to create space for his teammates is something I have not seen Lindstrom do like Slafkovsky. I still like Lindstrom he is one tough SOB and he will be a pain to play against but If you want a scary comparison he is more like a better Josh Anderson. I am just scared that he is not the offensive juggernaut we all expect from a top 5 pick. Maybe Bobrov will have another speech about Unicorn and we will take him, I don't know. I do feel better knowing the habs seem to have proper player development team now. Maybe they will find way for him to use his teammates more. Develop him to become a similar player as Brady Tkachuk.

As for Cooley vs Catton not that far off but I believe Cooley is more physical, better top gear but he does not have the vision and playmaking of Catton. With Catton he still also has a longway to go in his development but his hockey IQ is phenomenal. He will have to work on getting bigger/stronger and improve his explosiveness (the good news is that his skating technique is actually very good, I am hopeful that if he works on getting lower body strength it will improve his skating). Maybe an hybrid type of Gaudreau/Point or even a similar player as Jack Hughes.

Overall if both reach their ultimate projection I could see Catton become a top 10 NHL producer 100pts+ while Lindstrom could become a 40/40 type of player if everything goes well and he if matched with players that can feed him the puck.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad