HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
shoulda drafted Tkatchuk instead of KK (but then we wouldn't have ended up with Slaf/Hutson most likely) etc etc, shoulda woulda coulda

it's easy to talk in hindsight and it's only been 1 year, give it at least 5 years to see how these 2 drafts pan out
I am fully behind this management staff but it was obvious even a year ago that this year draft class of defenseman would be amazing and maybe the type you see once in a decade. Very similar to 2008 draft class in some regards. I think part of the Habs brass thought you can never have good enough defenseman and Reinbacher filled an obvious need and they went ahead to draft him. Now it's a bit painful because I would trade our top pick for like almost any of the top drafted forward from last year.

Michkov, yes
Leonard, yes
Benson, yes
Dvorsky, yes

I know it's not a popular take but I would 100% monetize our draft rank this year and look to trade down to around 12-14 to get more assets and draft the top rated forward that will available.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Should’ve took Leonard last year and drafted Buium, Levshonov or Perekh this year

Michkov was also a great pick.
You guys are all cracked! 20 months ago you were boohooing that we should have taken Wright over Slaf. A year ago you were saying we should have taken Cooley or Nemec over Slaf. Five months ago you were saying we should have taken Mintyukov or Jiricek over Slaf.

Leonard, Michkov, Reinbacher haven't even played in the NHL yet. Maybe let it all play out and give our hockey ops group the benefit of the doubt until there's a clearer picture.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I'm torn. I always preach BPA, but the Habs are in kind of a unique spot with such a positional imbalance in their prospect pool with D to F.

If they get to the podium and the best player in their mind is a Dman, do they skip over him and pick their best forward?
KH answered this; that D will have to totally be above said F. If they are « comparable » in their value, they will go F.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
KH answered this; that D will have to totally be above said F. If they are « comparable » in their value, they will go F.

Yeah I get what he's saying, but at the same time no two players are really "comparable". They're all individuals and what threshold of "better" a D needs to be to be picked is still subjective.

I hadn't seen that though, thanks.

It sort of feels like aiming for positional need last year has forced our hand to do so again. Not sure if that's justified.

Reactions: Kaladin and Gustave

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Yeah I get what he's saying, but at the same time no two players are really "comparable". They're all individuals and what threshold of "better" a D needs to be to be picked is still subjective.

I hadn't seen that though, thanks.

It sort of feels like aiming for positional need last year has forced our hand to do so again. Not sure if that's justified.
Like you, I have no idea how you come away with a must be above said players when you go down the list. To me, they are all so close in that top 8…

That’s why they get paid the big bucks.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I'm torn. I always preach BPA, but the Habs are in kind of a unique spot with such a positional imbalance in their prospect pool with D to F.

If they get to the podium and the best player in their mind is a Dman, do they skip over him and pick their best forward?
It'll be the BFA, which historically, usually ends up being the BPA.

Reactions: Rozz and Canadienna

austin316

Oct 4, 2016
The prospect of having Slaf, Dach, and Lindstrom in our top 6 is enticing to say the least. Those are three heavy bodies that would impose themselves on the opposition, especially in the playoffs.

This would allow us to incorporate a smaller forward like Mesar (or someone else) into our top 6/9.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
You guys are all cracked! 20 months ago you were boohooing that we should have taken Wright over Slaf. A year ago you were saying we should have taken Cooley or Nemec over Slaf. Five months ago you were saying we should have taken Mintyukov or Jiricek over Slaf.

Leonard, Michkov, Reinbacher haven't even played in the NHL yet. Maybe let it all play out and give our hockey ops group the benefit of the doubt until there's a clearer picture.

Was not a fan of the Slafkovsky pick (like many), but I am glad it is working out well.

It's ok also to just have an opinion, you know, not just praise the hockey ops all the time. I hate when people come here, then when they disagree with someone's opinion, they scroll through their post history and then call them out when they were "wrong", ignoring all the good calls also made over the years doing so.

Nobody is perfect, for sure, but yeah I loved Jiricek, Cooley, Wright and was BIG Mintyukov fan (had him at #6 OA). A also loved Luneau and wanted to draft him with our 2nd 1st round pick. If we draft Luneau in 2022 instead of Mesar and Beck, maybe we don't draft Reinbacher and draft Michkov or Leonard instead in 2023? Hughes himself said the fact he was a RD was a big factor since our pool is weak there. Luneau won CHL defenseman of the year in his D+1 and played in the NHL in his D+2 before getting a freak knee infection.

A few years ago, I had Caufield at #5 OA, Jarvis at #8... Wanted to trade up with our picks to get them. I was a huge Brock Faber fan as well and he was one of the players I wanted bad in 2020.

So yeah, I'll keep having my opinion. I still think drafting Helenius at 5-7 OA especially with the other players that will be available in that range would not be a good pick.

By the way, Mintyukov will become an incredible defenseman in Anaheim, I still LOVE that player.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Listening to NHL draft class.

Scouts really took notice of Eiserman in the 2nd half as he continued to build on his goal scoring and two-way play.

Parekh gets sort of a bad rap for being not so good defensively. He's improved his defense throughout the year.

Lindstrom - you can't miss that much time and come back and be 100% the player you were. He didn't and he did a little too much on his own. He did nothing to diminish his ranking. He's one of the best power forwards we've seen in a draft class in a while.

The way he plays the game, his smarts, his size, he generates something every time he's on the ice.

The unique part about his injuries weren't serious and he did them to himself in training and practice.

Cole Eiserman - I see him as a Chris Kreider where he'll score some goals and score some important goals. I think his game will round out and by the time he gets to the NHL he'll be a pretty good forward for whomever is lucky to get him.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Should’ve took Leonard last year and drafted Buium, Levshonov or Perekh this year
It's easy to say this now
And while I dont necessarily disagree

It's impossible to know last June, that we would again be in top 5 pick spot the very next year..

This is hindsight 20/20 stuff really

(But yeah I would of taken Leonard and taken my chances for next year , which is now this year)

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Lindstrom - you can't miss that much time and come back and be 100% the player you were. He didn't and he did a little too much on his own. He did nothing to diminish his ranking. He's one of the best power forwards we've seen in a draft class in a while.

The way he plays the game, his smarts, his size, he generates something every time he's on the ice.

The unique part about his injuries weren't serious and he did them to himself in training and practice.
Well if this is true then that's a relief, we'd still need to be sure before drafting him.

Reactions: Rozz

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I am fully behind this management staff but it was obvious even a year ago that this year draft class of defenseman would be amazing and maybe the type you see once in a decade. Very similar to 2008 draft class in some regards. I think part of the Habs brass thought you can never have good enough defenseman and Reinbacher filled an obvious need and they went ahead to draft him. Now it's a bit painful because I would trade our top pick for like almost any of the top drafted forward from last year.

Michkov, yes
Leonard, yes
Benson, yes
Dvorsky, yes

I know it's not a popular take but I would 100% monetize our draft rank this year and look to trade down to around 12-14 to get more assets and draft the top rated forward that will available.
For some reason this reminded me of when @NotProkofievian tried to dunk on me after Dvorsky went pointless his first few games in Sweden.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
The prospect of having Slaf, Dach, and Lindstrom in our top 6 is enticing to say the least. Those are three heavy bodies that would impose themselves on the opposition, especially in the playoffs.

This would allow us to incorporate a smaller forward like Mesar (or someone else) into our top 6/9.
It’s more than enticing, it’s almost necessary.

Reactions: austin316

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Michkov, yes
Leonard, yes
Benson, yes
Dvorsky, yes

If Dach isn't injured, I don't think this team is in a position to get any of the high profile defensemen. A lot can happen over a year and unless you're Chicago, you can't reliably predict what will be available at your pick. If you like a player, you pick him. I don't think they went with strictly with need either, as both of Michkov and Leonard filled a need. I'm not saying the scouting on Reinbacher was accurate, but I don't think they can make decisions based on what will available the next year, there's too much variance.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad