HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Just 1 secondary assist so far in 4 games against Prince George for Tij Iginla.

Think some people overreacted to Catton's series against that team. Does this make Catton a better playoff player than Iginla as in 4 games, he had 4 assists?
Level of compete does not necessarily translate into stats. So, for those who've seen those games, who wants it more? Tij or Berkley?

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I was looking at a few team's drafting history and turns out chicago didnt draft a single defenceman in the first 6 rounds last year. They 100% looked at this draft last year and decided they were just gonna draft D this year instead.

This might hurt them if they win the lottery. They might turn out like the Oilers and Leafs.

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
This might hurt them if they win the lottery. They might turn out like the Oilers and Leafs.

They are in for a world of hurt, I expect them to tank for another 4-5 years. Them and the Sharks.

• Love
Reactions: Seb

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Level of compete does not necessarily translate into stats. So, for those who've seen those games, who wants it more? Tij or Berkley?
Neither looked particularly like their usual selves against arguably the best team in the CHL. It happens.

Last year, Benson and Savoie were contained pretty effectively in the finals vs Seattle and people overreacted. Look where he is now.

Reactions: Gustave and vokiel

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Helenius is not my first wishlisht, but I will trust Habs management if he is the pick. He have great stats in SM-Liigaa and my favorite scout in this forum is @Goldenhands and he like him a lot. So I would be happy with that.
Your opinion is not based on a team of scouts experts but mainly from a poster on a forum that you agree most of the time. Now I start to understand, heh ... :nod:

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Just 1 secondary assist so far in 4 games against Prince George for Tij Iginla.

Think some people overreacted to Catton's series against that team. Does this make Catton a better playoff player than Iginla as in 4 games, he had 4 assists?
Meanwhile Helenius had 6 points (2G and 4A) in 6 playoff games vs pro men in the low scoring Liiga playoffs.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
The question i ask myself is : Is Helenius nhl ready? He might be the only one with Celebrini.
Does it matter though? Even if he steps into the NHL next season, is he the type of player we're looking for. I don't think he is even though he's projecting to be a solid all around player. At this stage of our build, I think we're looking for specific attributes to go with our core pieces.

I wouldn't be mad if we choose him, I'd just be less enthused because of what others may do in our lineup.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The good thing with Helenius is that he's coming in with 2 years of pro hockey under his belt and you can have him start his D+1 season in the AHL right away, since he's coming from a European league. He would be in a pretty fast lane to the NHL, it's not a case where he would need a couple years of junior hockey before we know what we actually have.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
The question i ask myself is : Is Helenius nhl ready? He might be the only one with Celebrini.
I'm thinking he should have another season in Liiga given how much his game progressed this past season with Jukurit. This would also give him an opportunity to be a key player for Finland at the WJC.

Reactions: Benstheman

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Iginla has much more fight in him than Catton, but Catton isn't a strictly floater type. They were both pretty much contained though. I haven't seen every games yet, but ive seen a few of each. Cougars are really good.

Kykkonen is probably the MVP of the Rockets but Iginla is doing all the little things he needs to do to be succesful. He's been going to the net, A LOT. On their win, he was screening for Szturc and basically created the goal just by parking his ass on the defender.

He also only has 11 shots in 4 games, which I feel is low for him. Haven't see his totals exactly. He hasn't really played a lot in the first two games as they tried to spread out the offense more with Cristal, Szturc and Iggy on two different lines, but that didn't work at all.

I can also mention that he's the only one that's been on the ice for one 5V5 goals of the top 6, i think. (From what Ive seen.)
He might be the 2nd or 3rd closest forward but no he's 100% not ready. His first step still needs a lot of work, he needs to add weight and strength to his frame, he's as slight as they come. He also needs work both on and off the puck. He comes with a lot of nice things, but if we want anything more than a Lekhonen, they need to take their time with him. I'm setting the cook time at 20 months for him to make an impact in the NHL from draft day.

Levshunov is ready physically and if they asked him to focus on offense or defense, Im sure he could hang in there. Of course that would be incredibly stupid as he needs to work on a lot of things.

Demidov hasn't played against men and didn't look good when he did, but his talent is undeniable and he might have a good time if he was plugged in a top 6.

I'd give a nod to Dickinson and Lindstrom too, but neither should be in the NHL.

Last edited:

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Does it matter though? Even if he steps into the NHL next season, is he the type of player we're looking for. I don't think he is even though he's projecting to be a solid all around player. At this stage of our build, I think we're looking for specific attributes to go with our core pieces.

I wouldn't be mad if we choose him, I'd just be less enthused because of what others may do in our lineup.
No it indeed doesn't matter. Or should i say it shouldn't.

I wouldn't know if he is what we need as i'm not a scout. I just read what people are saying here.

What i can gather is he looks to be pretty solid already playing in a men's league.

Reactions: Deebs

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
No it indeed doesn't matter. Or should i say it shouldn't.

I wouldn't know if he is what we need as i'm not a scout. I just read what people are saying here.

What i can gather is he looks to be pretty solid already playing in a men's league.
Definitely looks like a solid prospect the should be able to become an effective NHL'er. He looks like a smart kid that will make the right plays.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Iginla has much more fight in him than Catton, but Catton isn't a strictly floater type. They were both pretty much contained though. I haven't seen every games yet, but ive seen a few of each. Cougars are really good.

Kykkonen is probably the MVP of the Rockets but Iginla is doing all the little things he needs to do to be succesful. He's been going to the net, A LOT. On their win, he was screening for Szturc and basically created the goal just by parking his ass on the defender.

He also only has 11 shots in 4 games, which I feel is low for him. Haven't see his totals exactly. He hasn't really played a lot in the first two games as they tried to spread out the offense more with Cristal, Szturc and Iggy on two different lines, but that didn't work at all.

I can also mention that he's the only one that's been on the ice for one 5V5 goals of the top 6, i think. (From what Ive seen.)

He might be the 2nd or 3rd closest forward but no he's 100% not ready. His first step still needs a lot of work, he needs to add weight and strength to his frame, he's as slight as they come. He also needs work both on and off the puck. He comes with a lot of nice things, but if we want anything more than a Lekhonen, they need to take their time with him. I'm setting the cook time at 20 months for him to make an impact in the NHL from draft day.

Levshunov is ready physically and if they asked him to focus on offense or defense, Im sure he could hang in there. Of course that would be incredibly stupid as he needs to work on a lot of things.

Demidov hasn't played against men and didn't look good when he did, but his talent is undeniable and he might have a good time if he was plugged in a top 6.

I'd give a nod to Dickinson and Lindstrom too, but neither should be in the NHL.
You mentioning fight and Catton and Iginla reminded me of this clip I saw that someone else had posted:

Carton definitely has some fight!

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Well, knowing around where we'll likely pick, assuming we don't move up, I would be happy with any of:
-Demidov : seems like the highest upside, elite production potential type we're longing for.
-Helenius : after Slaf meteoric rise this season, the Goldenhands seal of approval is enough to convince the humble forum lurker that I am. From what I've read the last 10 pages or so, many others see the upside and pro level play in a men's league.
-Lindstrom: I'd be a bit more lukewarm about, the package is there but with Dach's injury history and low GP average the past 4 seasons, I'd be a little weary putting our best draft chip on a player with an injury history. Hopefully mgmt does its due dilligence on him if we end up drafting him.
-Iginla: Seems like he'd round up our forward corps pretty nicely with his size/goalscoring ability. The lineage is a nice bonus.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Well, knowing around where we'll likely pick, assuming we don't move up, I would be happy with any of:
-Demidov : seems like the highest upside, elite production potential type we're longing for.
-Helenius : after Slaf meteoric rise this season, the Goldenhands seal of approval is enough to convince the humble forum lurker that I am. From what I've read the last 10 pages or so, many others see the upside and pro level play in a men's league.
-Lindstrom: I'd be a bit more lukewarm about, the package is there but with Dach's injury history and low GP average the past 4 seasons, I'd be a little weary putting our best draft chip on a player with an injury history. Hopefully mgmt does its due dilligence on him if we end up drafting him.
-Iginla: Seems like he'd round up our forward corps pretty nicely with his size/goalscoring ability. The lineage is a nice bonus.
Catton, Eiserman and the defenders should also all be considered and you should be happy with any of them, really. Demidov is the only one that has separated himself from the group, the rest are all very, very close and it's almost impossible to make a call. It's truly unique in this sense, I haven't seen a group this tight since 2018.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Well if you look at Kelowna’s GWG in Game 4, it was Tij that went directly to the net and screened the goalie. So while he didn’t get a point, I doubt the goal goes in without his involvement. That’s the difference between the two.

Reactions: vokiel

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Well if you look at Kelowna’s GWG in Game 4, it was Tij that went directly to the net and screened the goalie. So while he didn’t get a point, I doubt the goal goes in without his involvement. That’s the difference between the two.
Yeah one obviously plays wing, while Catton might be taking it more cautiously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad