HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
The amator scouting community is deeply sleeping on Helenius lol, kid is centering Finland top line against sweden today in an exhibition game leading to the WC, he is also on the top PP unit, had 2 very good scoring chances after 1. Recrutes has him 13th LMAO, I would considere him 2nd OV.

Last edited:

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Helenius is a great worst case scenario. He reminds me a lot of Suzuki in that his best trait is his smarts.

Do think Newhooks success at C eliminates the “need” for a C.

I do really like Catton though he could be a Marner type, honestly could be the highest point producer on our roster if everything works out. The guy is just going to put up points, I just don’t see how he doesn’t.

Not a big Lindstrom fan, big and fast but he’s going to have a tough adjustment to the NHL as he won’t be able to strictly dominate with those attributes.

Celebrini is the dream though. I’d personally love Demi too but think he’s off the board like Michkov was.

Haven’t really seen much of the D other than the odd game where I just happened to be watching. Definitely a strong D draft though am personally hoping for a forward.
At the 5 spot, if you are down the list of F that far with Helenius, you’re leaving grade A defenseman on the board.

Even for me, as a big time F proponent, that’s too much value left of the draft floor. If we were like 10 or so, sure, but at 5? I’ll pick the D.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Lindstrom, Dach, Slaf would be a nightmare matchup
Not really. Because two of them are injury prone and too much uncertainty. I don't get the hype and love for Lindstrom. He seems to me like a lesser level prospect than Quintoin Byfield.

I still think the Habs will go for defenseman or Helenius. If Demidov is gone, I like Zeev Buium and if you want more offense, go for Berkly Catton or Iginla or Helenius.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Not really. Because two of them are injury prone and too much uncertainty. I don't get the hype and love for Lindstrom. He seems to me like a lesser level prospect than Quintoin Byfield.

I still think the Habs will go for defenseman or Helenius. If Demidov is gone, I like Zeev Buium and if you want more offense, go for Berkly Catton or Iginla or Helenius.
Since when does getting injured in only one season make you “injury prone”?

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
At the 5 spot, if you are down the list of F that far with Helenius, you’re leaving grade A defenseman on the board.

Even for me, as a big time F proponent, that’s too much value left of the draft floor. If we were like 10 or so, sure, but at 5? I’ll pick the D.
they may just pick a D as well. would not surprise me at all

Reactions: Gustave

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Best thing for us if we are aiming for Lindstrom would be for Columbus to move up. I think they are the most likely team to go for him, especially at 4. If CLB draft at 1 or 2, Lindstrom should probably be available at 5.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I keep trying to come up with my top 7 now that 7 is the lowest we go but it's way harder then I thought it would be.

I'm also going with my top 7ish picks and not tiers based on what we might draft and what not

1. Celebrini
2. Buium
3. Demidov
4. Levshunov
5/6/7. Helenius/Iginla/Catton

Lindstrom I might bump up to as high as 4 depending on physicals and medical reports otherwise I have him at 8

At 7, I'd poll my scouts if all 3 are available and whoever has most votes gets the pick.

I think Catton has the highest ceiling but if you're building a team to compete on the playoffs I can see how the votes favor Iginla and Helenius. Helenius doesn't have huge size but he plays a very mature 2 way game, is a good skater, can be a center and is underrated offensively

Iginla is my wild card but can see a scenario where he tops of as anything between a Kyle Connor and a Ryan Hartman and I'm unsure where he leans towards most

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
The amator scouting community is deeply sleeping on Helenius lol, kid is centering Finland top line against sweden today in an exhibition game leading to the WC, he is also on the top PP unit, had 2 very good scoring chances after 1. Recrutes has him 13th LMAO, I would considere him 2nd OV.

Can't wait to see him at the WC. He's had a fantastic season. How has his skating looked today ?

With Arizona's win, whatever happens, this team is getting a really good player.

Reactions: Garnet76

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Can't wait to see him at the WC. He's had a fantastic season. How has his skating looked today ?

With Arizona's win, whatever happens, this team is getting a really good player.
Kid is a fantastic skater, one of the best in the draft.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

He's not Paul Byron on a straight line, but he's a very good skater all around. Excellent agility and edges. good stride and technique. No issues there at all IMO, it's a legit weapon in his arsenal.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Three shortcomings you often find on these boards....
1) Many don't have a strong enough appreciation for how difficult it is to put up points in the top Euro men's leagues, how veterans normally get top 6 minutes, PP time etc.
2) Many don't realize how hard it is for a kid to produce at the WJC in their draft season. Fantilli got crucified in this forum during the 2022-23 WJC even though he was having one of the best NCAA true freshman seasons of all-time.
3) Many get hypnotized by CHL and USA-NTDP stats. I can't wait to see posters thinking they're getting a W for comparing Eiserman's WU18 tournament stats to Helenius' WC stats in a few weeks.:laugh: :laugh: I guarantee it will happen.

Helenius was #8 on Bobby Mac's mid-term poll of NHL scouts rankings. With the upward trajectory his game has taken, the consistent production, the huge playoffs and now with him on the verge of making Team Finland at the Worlds...I see him going up a few spots in that same year-end poll.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Picks #70, 78, 102, 130, 134, 166, 198 are set for the Habs.

The final position of their own 1st will be decided at the draft lottery. Winnipeg's 1st, Colorado's 2nd, and Washington and Edmonton's 7ths will be decided depending on the results of the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gustave

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
1) Many don't have a strong enough appreciation for how difficult it is to put up points in the top Euro men's leagues, how veterans normally get top 6 minutes, PP time etc.
2) Many don't realize how hard it is for a kid to produce at the WJC in their draft season. Fantilli got crucified in this forum during the 2022-23 WJC even though he was having one of the best NCAA true freshman seasons of all-time.
3) Many get hypnotized by CHL and USA-NTDP stats. I can't wait to see posters thinking they're getting a W for comparing Eiserman's WU18 tournament stats to Helenius' WC stats in a few weeks.:laugh: :laugh: I guarantee it will happen.

Helenius was #8 on Bobby Mac's mid-term poll of NHL scouts rankings. With the upward trajectory his game has taken, the consistent production, the huge playoffs and now with him on the verge of making Team Finland at the Worlds...I see him going up a few spots in that same year-end poll.
Yep He likely ends up third or 4th best foward on Bobby Mac final list. I wouldnt be surprised if he gets some votes over Demidov and Lindstrom.

Geecko

Aug 21, 2012
Kid is a fantastic skater, one of the best in the draft.
This isn't related to Helenius, but still to an European prospect. I don't know if you've posted it already, but where would you have Nygard ranked? I feel like with the package he brings, if he were in the CHL, he would be ranked higher, no?

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
This isn't related to Helenius, but still to an European prospect. I don't know if you've posted it already, but where would you have Nygard ranked? I feel like with the package he brings, if he were in the CHL, he would be ranked higher, no?
I see him and Hemming as very good mid 1st round picks. 10-15 range.

Reactions: Geecko

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

Helenius is the type of forward NHL scouts love (compete hard, good motor, very smart, playstyle very translatable to the NHL, good skating), but he's not a sexy pick so fans and armchair scouts kinda brush him off.

I would love the Habs to take him.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005

If you call our pick for the 3rd year in a row, I will start to question if you're actually Nick Bobrov posting on these forums for shits and giggles.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
How does he compare to Dvorsky

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Yep He likely ends up third or 4th best foward on Bobby Mac final list. I wouldnt be surprised if he gets some votes over Demidov and Lindstrom.
Many times "safe and/or predictable" players move up because franchises and staff know what they are going to get. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that and something I actually kind of like. I'm at the point now with our team and where we sit, I think we can afford to maybe reach a little and go for the higher upside on a top 6 guy rather than know what we're pretty much going to get as a finished product.

Reactions: Frank JT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad