HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think that whoever they draft at 5 ;) will be a bonus player for the rebuild. Without the Dach injury, no way this team finishes bottom 5 so I'll be happy with whoever they pick. I think the amateur scouting staff and management deserves our trust that they'll make the right choice.
Yes. This is a good way to look at it. With Dach Im pretty sure the Habs finish at least around Buffalo or Philly. Which means a 15ish pick, still nice but nowhere near as nice as what they'll pick now.

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
Yes. This is a good way to look at it. With Dach Im pretty sure the Habs finish at least around Buffalo or Philly. Which means a 15ish pick, still nice but nowhere near as nice as what they'll pick now.
Exactly, and after the top 2, it's so wide open, us armchair scouts are just liking some players over others just because of our own bias. Of course I'd love Lindstrom or even a "reach" for Iginla, but if they go with Catton or Eiserman for example, I'm cool with it. They've shown they know what they're doing and I'm just happy they're mostly looking to draft a forward.

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
As far as Hughes comments about trading up or down to select his forward... I got a question for y'all...

moving up:
what would you be willing to give up for say 2nd or 3rd to get our guy? what will the ask be do you think? and who would you take?

moving back:
how far would you be willing to go, and what would your ask be? and who would you take?

For me, moving up to second, I'd pay Winnipeg 1st + One of the expendable D and a second or possibly Calgary/ Florida first from next year depending on the dman... or something like that. And I take take Demidov! yes I think he going to be that good... and yes, I'm ok with turning some quantity into quality this year!

moving back, I'd only want to drop a 1-3 spots at most for an additional mid 1st + something like that... or something that wows you for a significantly bigger drop. Who I'd targe? who ever of Catton, Iginla Lindstrom or Eiserman is left

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
As far as Hughes comments about trading up or down to select his forward... I got a question for y'all...

moving up:
what would you be willing to give up for say 2nd or 3rd to get our guy? what will the ask be do you think? and who would you take?

moving back:
how far would you be willing to go, and what would your ask be? and who would you take?

For me, moving up to second, I'd pay Winnipeg 1st + One of the expendable D and a second or possibly Calgary/ Florida first from next year depending on the dman... or something like that. And I take take Demidov! yes I think he going to be that good... and yes, I'm ok with turning some quantity into quality this year!

moving back, I'd only want to drop a 1-3 spots at most for an additional mid 1st + something like that... or something that wows you for a significantly bigger drop. Who I'd targe? who ever of Catton, Iginla Lindstrom or Eiserman is left
I don’t even think trading up is a possibility since all of the teams lower than the Habs have multiple 1sts + 2nds in the next couple of drafts save for Columbus. But with Columbus, you’re only moving up one spot so it’s fruitless.

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
I don’t even think trading up is a possibility since all of the teams lower than the Habs have multiple 1sts + 2nds in the next couple of drafts save for Columbus. But with Columbus, you’re only moving up one spot so it’s fruitless.

that's probably pretty accurate. but if 2nd & 3rd were open to hearing a pitch.. what would you be willing to offer? and for whom?

and say Demidov is on the board for Columbus ... what would you offer? or would you?

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
that's probably pretty accurate. but if 2nd & 3rd were open to hearing a pitch.. what would you be willing to offer? and for whom?
The Winnipeg pick and a choice of Anderson or Gallagher, and Harris or Struble. Good luck with that.

Reactions: Rozz

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

moving up:

moving back:

I don't see any incentive to trade up from 5-8 anywhere but to #1 OA.

#2-12 OA is very close... Galaxy braining it and trying to go to #2-4 to secure a forward instead of a D is the wrong move, especially if doing so costs a great asset like a 1st +.

I'd not mind a LD like Dickinson or Buium at #6-8 if our scouting staff deem they are the best players.

Drafting for need in the top 10 is asking for trouble. You can do it, but later in the draft.

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
I don't see any incentive to trade up from 5-8 anywhere but to #1 OA.

#2-12 OA is very close... Galaxy braining it and trying to go to #2-4 to secure a forward instead of a D is the wrong move, especially if doing so costs a great asset like a 1st +.

that's a fair assessment.

as stated, I would do it for Demidov because I believe he's going to be better than the Dmen. and I'm willing to sacrifice our quantity to finaly secure our much needed offensive quality.

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

moving up:

moving back:

Like le_sean, I don't think moving up will be a possibility and not worth it as explained by Michoulicious.

Moving down might probably happen, some teams will want one of the remaining tio Ds over a forward. You don't want to go lower than 12-13 thought.

As a note, it might be possible to get a 10-15 rang pick via trading NHL ready players instead of trading down since NJD, Buffalo, Minnisota all want to compete now.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Like le_sean, I don't think moving up will be a possibility and not worth it as explained by Michoulicious.

Moving down might probably happen, some teams will want one of the remaining tio Ds over a forward. You don't want to go lower than 12-13 thought.

As a note, it might be possible to get a 10-15 rang pick via trading NHL ready players instead of trading down since NJD, Buffalo, Minnisota all want to compete now.
I'd trade down probably from #6 to the 9-10 range no problem for good value.

The perfect scenario would be to trade down with Calgary because they fear someone will pick Iginla before them.

They have a late 1st and a mid 2nd in this draft... I'd ask at least for the 2nd that to trade down 3 spots. Then I'd go all in to get another pick in the top 12 with a package of WPG's 1st, Calgary's late 1st/early 2nd and Avs 2nd.

Drafting #9 + #10/11/12 in this particular draft would be amazing...

Yakemchuk/Greentree? Maybe Catton or Eiserman falls? Who knows.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
lol yup that offer would definitely need some luck with it!

I assume your not really into the idea of trading up? do you feel the separation among 2-8 are relatively the same?
Yes, yes and yes. There’s Macklin C. and then everyone else from 2-10 or so. Finally, when do NHL teams ever trade top 10 picks? Rarely if ever.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Maybe somebody REALLLLLLLLLY likes Barron...or Harris....Barris.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
Are we all on board with Charlie Elick ? We're weak at RD and the team needs a defensive rock for lane. I'd go ahead with the Winnipeg pick barring no huge fallers.
Reinbacher?

BPA with Winnipeg pick. If it's a D, go.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Agreed. The Flyers had a disastrous year actually. Lost a sure-fire playoff spot, traded away a likely future 40 goal scorer for an injury-prone rover, and have a meh draft pick staring them in the eye. I could them taking Helenius if they draft 12th (and Eiserman is gone).

Last edited:

austin316

Oct 4, 2016
Where will Winnipegs pick end up in the first round if they lose their first round series?

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
Yes, yes and yes. There’s Macklin C. and then everyone else from 2-10 or so. Finally, when do NHL teams ever trade top 10 picks? Rarely if ever.
I'm not saying it happens often at all... Kent mentioned it so I wanted to know what people thought about a good offer was and who'd they target... I'm not trying to Guage the likelihood of the trade happening. purely a thought exercise to see what people would want at 2 and what they are willing to give....

so now the question is... 2nd place, for some crazy reason, accepts your offer... who do you take at 2nd?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Well time to draft some more D.
lol listening to Snake talk to Marinaro about the D.
Mailloulx is a 6
Barron, Struble, are 7-8
And Harris is out of league in 3 years.
Damn.
I listened for a bit, about that part and turned it off because of how dumb the snake seems just in general.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018

moving up:

moving back:

I would not move up, but i would move back #9 (CGY pick) if Demidov is gone by #6
I am guessing 4 Defender (Levs, Dickinson, Buium, Parekh even Yakemchuk) will be gone when its time to pick at #9
So that means 4 forwards would have been picked up out of Celebrini , Demidov, Lindstrom. Eiserman, Iginla, Catton
I think there will be 2 of them available at #9.

After lottery
CGY #9 + #30
for
MTL : #6

Then flip #25 + #30 + CGY first for a pick around #12 (Helenius or Greentree)

Catton + Helenius would be awesome in this Draft

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad