HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Question here;

Calgary need to give a first round selection to Habs, this season or next season. But next summer they will get their selection + the one of Florida and will give the worst to Habs .

Do you think that Hugues could try to get their first round pick this year, by offering Winnipeg's first + a dman ? ( Habs have too much of Dmen prospects ). Add something if you want , but the idea is that Galgary are really in trouble because they don't have a good prospects bank and their best players are leaving.
What do you think about this ?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I do wonder if it's wise to expose his hand this willingly

I mean it's obvious to anyone in front offices around the league. When teams do mock drafts etc. they aren't circling the Habs as a team who are a threat to take a defenseman. Just like the Habs do their own mock drafts and have a good indication of who people want.

It's why they didn't trade down last year when they identified Reinbacher as their top player on the board, they knew Arizona would take him.

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
I mean it's obvious to anyone in front offices around the league. When teams do mock drafts etc. they aren't circling the Habs as a team who are a threat to take a defenseman. Just like the Habs do their own mock drafts and have a good indication of who people want.

It's why they didn't trade down last year when they identified Reinbacher as their top player on the board, they knew Arizona would take him.

Basu and Godin said something about Bobrov & co 's decision to draft Hutson after Beck in the second round. They said Bobrov indicated they not only track the drafting tendencies and needs of a team, they also track what players the other teams are scouting throughout the year. Add all of that together, they seem to make good educated guesses about how the draft is shaping out.​

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Basu and Godin said something about Bobrov & co 's decision to draft Hutson after Beck in the second round. They said Bobrov indicated they not only track the drafting tendencies and needs of a team, they also track what players the other teams are scouting throughout the year. Add all of that together, they seem to make good educated guess about how the draft is shaping out.​

Yes I listened to that too.

It's corroborated in their video last year too.. and the year before.

They talked about Hutson being available in the third round, so they took him just before the third round.

They rattled off what order they'd get their guys in the 4th round and they did that, too.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Question here;

Calgary need to give a first round selection to Habs, this season or next season. But next summer they will get their selection + the one of Florida and will give the worst to Habs .

Do you think that Hugues could try to get their first round pick this year, by offering Winnipeg's first + a dman ? ( Habs have too much of Dmen prospects ). Add something if you want , but the idea is that Galgary are really in trouble because they don't have a good prospects bank and their best players are leaving.
What do you think about this ?
They need to retool - I don't think giving up their top 10 pick is a good way to do it even if they are getting a late 1st and a Barron or Harris etc...

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
With Winnepeg's pick I would love it if Michael Brandsegg-Nygard fell to us (though we might have to trade up to get him). He could be like a poor man's Slaf for our 2nd line, bringing a size and two-way play element to compliment smaller guys we have coming in the next wave of prospects like Mesar and Beck.

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015
In my opinion, Demidov will be snagged up by the Sharks or Hawks. Lindstrom's injury concerns will make him fall and I'm not sure if we should be the team taking a chance on that.
If Sharks don't win the lottery then I think it's possible. If they do, they obviously get Celibrini and I think Hawks go for RD since they don't have any in the pipeline (Korchinski is LD).

I do think there's a good chance that Lindstrom or Demidov falls down to us, since all of Hawks, Ducks and CBJ could potentially take a defenseman.

I also wonder if Hughes tries to move up and I think most teams might be more willing since a part from Sharks, they all got their 1C last year.

Reactions: Rozz

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

I probably would have traded down, got an extra first and took Leonard. Or Benson. I was high on Benson also. Thought he was better than Seth Jarvis in junior.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
True. And honestly having Bedard and Demidov going forward is going to be Toews and Kane all over again. Tbh just wishing we have a chance at Demidov although I feel its highly unlikely that he falls like Michkov did.
Yeah I'm not liking our odds. Drafting Iginla/Catton/Helenius/Eiserman at 5 or 6 is so meh to me.

Reactions: atrud66 and Saxon

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I do wonder if it's wise to expose his hand this willingly

I like it.

It invites teams to discuss trades.

It reassures teams that Montreal would want to move up to that they wont take its players.

At the same time, they can also still go for the defenseman if they want.

Everyone knew Sakic wanted to trade Duchene and it still ended up being a haul. Same thing with Pacioretty here.

Reactions: Rozz and ngc_5128

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
With Winnepeg's pick I would love it if Michael Brandsegg-Nygard fell to us (though we might have to trade up to get him). He could be like a poor man's Slaf for our 2nd line, bringing a size and two-way play element to compliment smaller guys we have coming in the next wave of prospects like Mesar and Beck.
I'd be surprised, but you would be disappointed I think. He's not going to be much more than Higgins or Chipper. Just some good bottom 6 guy. Not worth trading up.

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
I think that whoever they draft at 5 ;) will be a bonus player for the rebuild. Without the Dach injury, no way this team finishes bottom 5 so I'll be happy with whoever they pick. I think the amateur scouting staff and management deserves our trust that they'll make the right choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad