HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
If we win the lottery and get Celebrini, where does he play next season for us?? Second line center over Dach? winger on top 2 lines?? And with who?

And what is our according plan?? We try to get competitive as soon as next season?? What is our move on the trade front to accomplish that?? Go get a top 4 RHD? Or still going for another young talent up front ala Zegras or Necas??
It's too early to dream.
Just like why I don't go visit the lambo store...I'll just feel bad that I can't have it lol.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
So we keep our actual 1st line like this. I would've switch Caufield on Dach's wing and used Celebrini with Suzuki and Slafkovsky.
If it were to happen that we got Celebrini, which it won't, I'm sure they'd try numerous different options. Who knows what would work or not until they got on the ice and played together for a while.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If we win the lottery and get Celebrini, where does he play next season for us?? Second line center over Dach? winger on top 2 lines?? And with who?

And what is our according plan?? We try to get competitive as soon as next season?? What is our move on the trade front to accomplish that?? Go get a top 4 RHD? Or still going for another young talent up front ala Zegras or Necas??
Slaf-Suzuki-Dach
Caufield-Celebrini-Roy

Theres no one stopping that first line lmao

On the trade market, we need to go hard for a top 4 RD and probably go after a UFA like Marchessault or Guentzel.

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
Guys please sort these 4 russians

Chernyshov
Artamonov
Shuravin
Surin

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Slaf-Suzuki-Dach
Caufield-Celebrini-Roy

On the trade market, we need to go hard for a top 4 RD and probably go after a UFA like Marchessault or Guentzel.
In the dream scenario of first overall, you throw the kitchen sink at the UFA market and you go for it.
On the trade front, no first round pick is safe from trading. You get the guys you want and you overpay if need be.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Could've defended himself with *drumroll* not being a little shit but here we are.

Yes they can. It's not about destroying the kid. He can have thay redemption arc as an iron worker or a nurse. I don't give a f***, he decided to act a fool and he got what was coming. NHL is a privilege.
Agreed. In any case Hughes considers the room to be very important. He's not going to draft a guy who feuded with and left so many teams. Avery and Lemieux wore out their welcome with their teammates, and with Lemieux that's in spite of his insane playoff production. Connelly seems to be much more unpleasant as a teammate.

I haven't heard much to indicate Mailloux is a terrible teammate. He has flaws in his game, he probably shouldn't fight, and he did a bad and stupid thing to try to impress (older, I think) teammates in Sweden. I don't think I've heard anything positive about his intelligence, but I don't think he has feuded with or quit on any teams yet.

There are enough good players without major character flaws that you don't need to take a problem guy first round. The calculation may change by the third or fourth round but if he's DND for that many teams the habs probably shouldn't get into that.

First pick they have to try to get an impact player. Better an impact LHD than a pretty good C.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Guys please sort these 4 russians

Chernyshov
Artamonov
Shuravin
Surin

I don't follow Russian prospects as closely as I'd like, but Surin is a guy I've been trying to watch more of to end the year and I really like him. He's got very high-end skill to go with absolutely bonkers compete and physical play. Entertaining to watch as he plays with an edge... but can also play pretty dumb and takes bad penalties. Had a growth spurt to start the year but still has some stockiness to him. If he can work on discipline, I think he's a pretty special blend of high-end skill and physical play. Home-run style pick that could easily become a fan favourite.

I'd take Surin before Chernyshov as I find Chernyshov to be a bit disinterested at times despite his size and a playing style that doesn't really wow me. Looks like a complementary player. Others that have watched him more might see things differently.

You can find quite a bit of footage on Artamonov in @montreal 's Volokhin videos. From what I recall - good player, good passer, high skill level, great motor. Artamonov is likely the best of the three forwards, but I like the unique traits Surin brings as I'm not confident I project any of them as playing at the top of the lineup.

Haven't paid enough attention to Shuravin to comment.

Surin
Artamonov
Chernyshov

Shuravin

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Are we all on board with Charlie Elick ? We're weak at RD and the team needs a defensive rock for lane. I'd go ahead with the Winnipeg pick barring no huge fallers.
Would prefer Emery, I think his D game has the most polish, but there will be a whole group of bigger RDs available in that range:

EJ Emery - 6'3 RD - USNTDP
Adam Jiricek - 6'2 RD - Plzen - Czechia
Harrison Brunicke - 6'3 RD - Kamloops - WHL
Dominik Badinka - 6'3 RD - Malmo - J20/SHL
Charlie Elick - 6'3 RD - Brandon - WHL

Jiricek might be the only one who could go in the top 20 if a team is willing to take a risk.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Would prefer Emery, I think his D game has the most polish, but there will be a whole group of bigger RDs available in that range:

EJ Emery - 6'3 RD - USNTDP
Adam Jiricek - 6'2 RD - Plzen - Czechia
Harrison Brunicke - 6'3 RD - Kamloops - WHL
Dominik Badinka - 6'3 RD - Malmo - J20/SHL
Charlie Elick - 6'3 RD - Brandon - WHL

Jiricek might be the only one who could go in the top 20 if a team is willing to take a risk.
Emery is nice but he doesn't have that in him:

BPA enough with these RD talk...
What is BPA? The Habs haven't picked BPA once in my lifetime. I guess Hutson. The reality is, like I said barring any major fall, an interesting RD is gonna be available for us. Adding size and defensive acumen would be a good move.

Reactions: bopeep

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
What is BPA? The Habs haven't picked BPA once in my lifetime. I guess Hutson. The reality is, like I said barring any major fall, an interesting RD is gonna be available for us. Adding size and defensive acumen would be a good move.
I always find reaching for needs quite a scary thought. I think the defense side of our prospect pool is very loaded already and if you want by more pure "need", the Habs lack good right handed Winger and generally speaking very talented top 6 winger. I am certainly not expecting any miracle with Mesar to become that. I know we have Beck but he is not top 6, best case scenario is 3rd/4th line.

Anyway my point is that with the Jets pick I would be very aggressive and try everything in my power to trade up and a get that forward. A guy like MBN or Sennecke would be a perfect fit for us.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I always find reaching for needs quite a scary thought. I think the defense side of our prospect pool is very loaded already and if you want by more pure "need", the Habs lack good right handed Winger and generally speaking very talented top 6 winger. I am certainly not expecting any miracle with Mesar to become that. I know we have Beck but he is not top 6, best case scenario is 3rd/4th line.

Anyway my point is that with the Jets pick I would be very aggressive and try everything in my power to trade up and a get that forward. A guy like MBN or Sennecke would be a perfect fit for us.

This is what I want to do too. Use the Jets pick to trade up into top 20 and take another forward. There's a lot of RD in this draft, and many who'll be available at the Colorado pick.

There's a few teams that I think we can target in that 10-20 range. NJD at #10, SJS at #14 (they've traded back before), NYI at #18 and Vegas at #19 assuming the playoff teams remain where they are and don't get to Final Four.

Sennecke, MBN,

skidcells

May 11, 2023
From the most recent Basu and Godin notebook the 3 forwards they mention we would be interested in the draft are: Lindstrom, Iginla, Demidov. Says based on their draft record Catton will not interest us at 5. Sorry WTK. Interestingly no word on Helenius which is who Goldenhands likes.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Slaf-Suzuki-Dach
Caufield-Celebrini-Roy

I would personally go with

Slaf-Suzuki-Roy
Caufield-Celebrini-Dach

Reactions: vokiel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad