HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
It depends it just need one team to really love Parekh, Buuim or Silayev above the forwards. I think people really under estimate the question mark surounding Demidov. Most scouts and draft ranking agreed that Michkov was the 2nd best talent of the draft but he still slipped to 7th overall. I believe Demidov will have a similar fate. I am not convinced that one team like Columbus or Chicago or Anaheim with how their team are build will be willing to go all in on Demidov.
Michkov was under contract for another 3 years, plus the talk of him forcing his way to Philly. Demidov didn't extend his deal with SKA so he can come over as soon as 2025-26. And he actually skates back to support his D.

They're pretty different situations.

I hope the same but it's more wishful thinking. I don't deny the first part could happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
What do you guys think of Justin Poirier with our 2nd/3rd round pick? Small yes, but he's a thick guy. 5'6 180lbs. Incredible goal scorer. Not a one trick pony, can score multiple ways. We already have Caufield who is undersized but Poirier would only be ready 3-4 years from now.

3rd round is ok. Specifically, Minnesota's pick.

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
You also have to admire his honestly regarding his missed picks.

I always find he offers a really interesting perspective in general as well.

I used to find him somewhat insufferable. He has mellowed and he is more enjoyable to listen to.

I agree with the way he set his expectations regarding prospects and their rounds of selections. It contrasts with how fans and pundits have tendencies to overhype their own prospects.​

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
You also have to admire his honestly regarding his missed picks.

I always find he offers a really interesting perspective in general as well.

I like Snake as well, though being on the same Marinaro podcast episode as McCagg really helped through contrast of their communicative styles.

And yeah, I find their segments when they look at past drafts to be most interesting, only wish they spent more time on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leto

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Michkov was under contract for another 3 years, plus the talk of him forcing his way to Philly. Demidov didn't extend his deal with SKA so he can come over as soon as 2025-26. And he actually skates back to support his D.

They're pretty different situations.

I hope the same but it's more wishful thinking. I don't deny the first part could happen.
It's not wishful thinking. It's the reality, Demidov is playing against junior B level of talent and most likely will do again next year. The NHL scouts have not watched him play at all in person only on video nor in international tournament. It might sound absurd to you but NHL scouts love watching players live especially head scout who have to decide between a lot of players in similar tier. Finally, the russian factor is often downplayed but we still don't know what will happen next year in Russia. Kent Hughes even addressed it last year by saying that not watching Michkov play in person was a factor in their decision to go with Reinbacher.

Overall, If I go logically for a team like Chicago or Columbus (with all the off ice issues they had) or Anaheim (who look pretty close to be in playoff contention) they will have to be 100% convinced that Demidov is him and that he will improve their team while having very special talent at defense available and ignoring them. NGL I feel this is the best year for defender that I have ever followed, even better than 2008, personally I think if you are a team that need a defender this is your year, you cannot mess up with the defender if you go for a forward you need to hit, you simply cannot miss.

I am not even convinced the Habs would go with Demidov, with everything Hughes has said prior regarding Michkov.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank JT

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Wow! Catton #15. Miettinen #17! Ha. Ha. I just said in CHL playoff thread he's ranked 2nd-3rd round, which he is on most lists. I'm not surprised he took a huge jump, but that's impressive. Ditto Fibigr & Vanacker. Huge jumps.
Look at the wealth of talent at forward that should (will) be available at the bottom of the first round. Imagine if Vanacker falls to us. Kid will be 30+ goal scorer for the next decade. And there will be other excellent options.

Don’t listen to the pundits who are dismissive of this draft. And why we shouldn't be giving away that Winnipeg first rounder because some are getting itchy for the quick fix.

Last edited:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Look at the wealth of talent at forward that should (will) be available at the bottom of the first round. Imagine if Vanacker falls to us. Kid will be 30+ goal scorer for the next decade. And there will be other excellent options.

Don’t listen to the pundits who are dismissive of this draft. And why we don’t give away that Winnipeg first rounder because some are getting itchy for the quick fix.

Considering the year he's having, I'm surprised that he wasn't ranked higher. This is a good draft as far as getting physical, power forward types. One of the best ones in years. Lots of guys with some edge to their games.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Don’t listen to the pundits who are dismissive of this draft. And why we don’t give away that Winnipeg first rounder because some are getting itchy for the quick fix.
And that Winnipeg 1st could still be in the early 20's. The Jets were sinking in the standings at the TDL, then went on a tear, and now are back to sinking, with red hot Nashville and Edmonton, plus Toronto threatening to overtake them. If Tampa and the Jets performed over the next 10 games as they did the last 10 games, Tampa would also pass them.

Will be an interesting final 12 games, and 1st and 2nd rounds, to follow.

Last edited:

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Considering the year he's having, I'm surprised that he wasn't ranked higher. This is a good draft as far as getting physical, power forward types. One of the best ones in years. Lots of guys with some edge to their games.
In the ubiquitous mocks that were available at the start of the season and some that appeared at the end of the past calendar year, Vanacker was rated as a late second rounder. Anyone with a modicum of hockey knowledge could see that Vanacker possesses elite skating ability and dynamic offensive skills.

In fact, he’s one of the few players that I would aggressively move up for. Use our first pick on the best player available and the Avalanche second pick and the Winnipeg first pick to be in a position to draft a player like Vanacker or a number of other strong forwards who should be available between 15 OA and 20 OA.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
In the ubiquitous mocks that were available at the start of the season and some that appeared at the end of the past calendar year, Vanacker was rated as a late second rounder. Anyone with a modicum of hockey knowledge could see that Vanacker possesses elite skating ability and dynamic offensive skills.

In fact, he’s one of the few players that I would aggressively move up for. Use our first pick on the best player available and the Avalanche second pick and the Winnipeg first pick to be in a position to draft a player like Vanacker or a number of other strong forwards who should be available between 15 OA and 20 OA.

Yes, I've been saying for the last few days that instead of trading that Winnipeg pick, we should try to use it to trade up into 15-20 range.

Vanacker is still ranked late 2nd round on a lot of lists. I expect a move up on these end of season ones.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Yes, I've been saying for the last few days that instead of trading that Winnipeg pick, we should try to use it to trade up into 15-20 range.

Vanacker is still ranked late 2nd round on a lot of lists. I expect a move up on these end of season ones.
I’m hoping our scouts when they are following up on Florian Xhejax’s development have taken note of Vanacker’s potential.

To me, a perfect (realistic) draft would be one of Yakemchuk/Dickinson/ Buium with our pick and one of either Vanacker / Luchanko with our ‘enhanced’ Winnipeg pick.

Talk about jump starting our re-build.

Reactions: Nevins

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
There's one forward I won't be excited to get. Helenius. I'd be fine with any of the rest, Lindstrom, Demidov, Catton, Iginla, Eiserman...there's just a reason why for eveyrone of them. Yet I believe that out of that list, Demidov and Catton brings so much more.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I'd love to know how our management ranks the forwards at the top of the draft. I wonder how comfortable they feel with our center depth, if they're as nervous about it as I am then maybe their draft list is topped by Lindstrom and Helenius.
I think both are very capable of being wingers at the next level. They’d be good insurance if Dach turns out injury prone.

Reactions: BergevinBurner

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
You have all wrong on Artamonov.

He’s one of the smartest in the draft and his playmaking and compete are his very best attributs.

his compete has not looked very good in the MHL playoffs, I'm sure there's an adjustment after being in the KHL all year so maybe he's taking it a little easier as I didn't see him do this in the KHL but we'll see as the next series is about to start tomorrow.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
There's one forward I won't be excited to get. Helenius. I'd be fine with any of the rest, Lindstrom, Demidov, Catton, Iginla, Eiserman...there's just a reason why for eveyrone of them. Yet I believe that out of that list, Demidov and Catton brings so much more.
Me too, the Finnish hockey league level is not very good. He has high hockey IQ but man he is a very vanilla player. Nothing that standout as elite. I still think he will be a good NHL player but not the type to excite a fanbase. Which is also part of the reason why I think the habs will draft him.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
his compete has not looked very good in the MHL playoffs, I'm sure there's an adjustment after being in the KHL all year so maybe he's taking it a little easier as I didn't see him do this in the KHL but we'll see as the next series is about to start tomorrow.
I’m not really giving much importance about him in the MHL. His KHL season was very good!

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Me too, the Finnish hockey league level is not very good. He has high hockey IQ but man he is a very vanilla player. Nothing that standout as elite. I still think he will be a good NHL player but not the type to excite a fanbase. Which is also part of the reason why I think the habs will draft him.
I have the same feeling when I watch him but then I remind myself that the Finnish league is just like that. It stifles creativity and offensive talent.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Why did Silayev drop from 2nd to 12th? He's still the same swift skating behemoth, isnt he?

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016

He's the Lars Eller of this draft

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
It's not wishful thinking. It's the reality, Demidov is playing against junior B level of talent and most likely will do again next year. The NHL scouts have not watched him play at all in person only on video nor in international tournament. It might sound absurd to you but NHL scouts love watching players live especially head scout who have to decide between a lot of players in similar tier. Finally, the russian factor is often downplayed but we still don't know what will happen next year in Russia. Kent Hughes even addressed it last year by saying that not watching Michkov play in person was a factor in their decision to go with Reinbacher.

Overall, If I go logically for a team like Chicago or Columbus (with all the off ice issues they had) or Anaheim (who look pretty close to be in playoff contention) they will have to be 100% convinced that Demidov is him and that he will improve their team while having very special talent at defense available and ignoring them. NGL I feel this is the best year for defender that I have ever followed, even better than 2008, personally I think if you are a team that need a defender this is your year, you cannot mess up with the defender if you go for a forward you need to hit, you simply cannot miss.

I am not even convinced the Habs would go with Demidov, with everything Hughes has said prior regarding Michkov.

Yeah, but somehow those "B level juniors" regularly beat CHLers in the past...

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
I keep hearing Gorton talk about how the Habs are cognizant of how hard it is to add skill.

Leads me to believe Eiserman is going to be the pick. He's also going to BU next year, the Habs management love that program.

Habs were in 38 games decided by 1 goal this year. They want more goals, Eiserman does that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad