Votes: 55 16.2%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 18 5.3%

• Total voters

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Very good comparable. Perry is another one.

Reinbacher better be a top pairing or it us a miss of a pick.

Mailloux is most definitely a 2nd pairing and himself could surprise some people as a top pair guy. I'm big on him.
We can say this for every player in that top 10….they’d better pan out or else lol

You make the pick, develop the kid and see what happens!

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Perry as in Corey Perry? The guy that has always had foot speed issues and has been one of the biggest pests of his generation? I just don’t see how they are similar other than the hands.
From the highlights I've seen, Sennecke looks slippery like Perry. Height and weight are similar. That is all I see. Obviously many other aspects of the game.

Reactions: Rozz

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
If Silayev or Levshunov is there at 5 and Lindstrom/Demidov are gone. There is not a single forward that would justify passing on one of them even with the current constitution of our U25 core.

Getting our hands on one of these type of defenseman could probably land us a forward like Marner on the trade market.
1715700482055.gif

So draft a top pairing defenceman and trade him for a a playoff Houdini? Lol

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I don't see him like that. Sennecke has unreal puck skills and better creativity than Carter. Carter had that superstar shot and had very strong north south speed for a tall player.

Sennecke's puck skills are a bit overrated. He can play with it, but I don't see him doing that effectively in the NHL, so that will "equalize" to Carter. That's why I also think picking him at 3-4--5 is an error vs. Lindstrom and Iginla. I suspect his career trajectory is like Carter, a couple of great seasons but also some up/down ones plenty.

Sennecke has the same kind of shot as Carter.

Sennecke's speed is around the same range as Carter at the same age, but something I know here from following him for the past few years. He's a better skater than it shows right now because he gained 3 inches in the past 12 months, so I expect him to pick up a lot of speed next year as he re-muscle these legs.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Picking Sennecke at 5 while somebody else will pick MBrandsegg-Nygard at around 12-15 will be the next something to look for in 5 years....

Reactions: Xirik

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I'm not crazy about having a guy like Sennecke shoot up the draft rankings this much (felt similarly about Iginla) but I must admit the tools are intriguing. That being said, KK's size, physicality, and IQ also seemed intriguing when we picked him. This isn't a pick we can afford to mess up.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Picking Sennecke at 5 while somebody else will pick MBrandsegg-Nygard at around 12-15 will be the next something to look for in 5 years....
While both should realistically bring similar value, I see much more upside in Sennecke. Every single tool he has favors him, the only thing that I prefer for MBN is that he's a wrecking ball and probably the best puck hound in the draft.

Ultimately, I don't want to pick Sennecke at 5, I don't see him as an equal to any of Demidov, Lindstrom, Iggy or Catton.

The 10-15 range is fantastic also and I'd love to be able to trade back but no one really has the horses to tango. The only picks available would be Flames 9 and 29, if they really want to snag Iginla but I'm not sure it's worth it. I'd probably do it if they added #41 though. 9-29-41 for 5 ?

Pick the faller of Demidov, Catton, Iginla, Buium, Sennecke, Levshunov, Lindstrom, Dickinson, Helenius, Silayev, Parekh and then try to move up again with 29-41-58 in the top 15 to grab the other one. If there's no D left at #14, Im sure Sharks would entertain that. Maybe even send one of Harris, Struble or Barron their way.

9 and 15 instead of 5. I'm a mastermind.

I'm not crazy about having a guy like Sennecke shoot up the draft rankings this much (felt similarly about Iginla) but I must admit the tools are intriguing. That being said, KK's size, physicality, and IQ also seemed intriguing when we picked him. This isn't a pick we can afford to mess up.
Iginla shot up the rankings in a 10 months span.

Sennecke shot up the ranking in a ten game span.

Very different development.

skidcells

May 11, 2023
Should Demidov fall to us at 5 then the move is to trade up using the WPG pick and get MBN in the 12-17 range. Sennecke won’t be there at that spot nor would Iginla. MBN is the perfect counterbalance to Demidov on a line and both players would complement each other perfectly.

Reactions: rochab

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Should Demidov fall to us at 5 then the move is to trade up using the WPG pick and get MBN in the 12-17 range. Sennecke won’t be there at that spot nor would Iginla. MBN is the perfect counterbalance to Demidov on a line and both players would complement each other perfectly.
Can't trade up to 12-17 without moving 5 IMO.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
From the highlights I've seen, Sennecke looks slippery like Perry. Height and weight are similar. That is all I see. Obviously many other aspects of the game.
Yeah, like what exactly? Because I watched Perry in 2003 and I don’t see how they are similar. Perry was slow even for pre-lockout standards, which is why he was rated lower. A true Dale Hunter player - do whatever it takes to win. Silky mitts near the crease is how he got his goals.

Sennecke is fast, not afraid of contact but not an initiator, and he plays up high on the PP, not net front.

I just don’t see it. I prefer the Rick Nash comparison even though Nash was a bulldozer, he was far more finesse like Sennecke.

Reactions: Seb

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
While both should realistically bring similar value, I see much more upside in Sennecke. Every single tool he has favors him, the only thing that I prefer for MBN is that he's a wrecking ball and probably the best puck hound in the draft.

Ultimately, I don't want to pick Sennecke at 5, I don't see him as an equal to any of Demidov, Lindstrom, Iggy or Catton.

The 10-15 range is fantastic also and I'd love to be able to trade back but no one really has the horses to tango. The only picks available would be Flames 9 and 29, if they really want to snag Iginla but I'm not sure it's worth it. I'd probably do it if they added #41 though. 9-29-41 for 5 ?

Pick the faller of Demidov, Catton, Iginla, Buium, Sennecke, Levshunov, Lindstrom, Dickinson, Helenius, Silayev, Parekh and then try to move up again with 29-41-58 in the top 15 to grab the other one. If there's no D left at #14, Im sure Sharks would entertain that. Maybe even send one of Harris, Struble or Barron their way.

Yeah for me if Demidov/Lindstrom are already picked, I'd like to trade down to around the Flames pick. The issue is that we need to be confident that we can trade up with the Jets pick+asset(s) we got from the Flames into that early to mid-teen range because otherwise it would kind of be a fail.

Devils will likely trade the pick for a goalie. Sabres won't need more picks, they need more proven NHL players. I have no clue what the f*** the Flyers are doing so maybe they could make such a trade, wouldn't be the first time. Minny needs more NHL players rather than later picks. Sharks need more high end prospects, they already traded down recently with the Geekie pick. Wings/Blues don't really need more picks.

So really it's potentially the Flyers, the team that likely makes the trade with the Devils by giving them a goalie (maybe it's Calgary and they would entertain trading back with the start of the rebuild and a top 5 pick from us), or it's just a roster player trade which seems unlikely.

Reactions: Takeru

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
While I am not remotely an expert on amateur scouting, this player is flying under the radar it seems.
Just feels like top 5 picks shouldn’t be flying “under the radar”

I’m sure he’ll be a heck of a player but I’ll be honest, I wouldn’t feel great about it but that’s just me who’s never watched or scouted him!

Reactions: habsfan891

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Iginla shot up the rankings in a 10 months span.

Sennecke shot up the ranking in a ten game span.

Very different development.
Usually, the only reason we see players with more upside is because of how they look like now. As, we are not talking about a Sennecke at 220 but 170. Which means more growth. While you look at MBN and feel he already has the body of a NHL'er. But....it doesn't mean the tangent that both players will take skillswise.

Frankly people were happy at 5....I wasn't. It was 1, 2, or 7. 'Cause at 7, you might feel more at ease to really pick BPA even if it's Buium. And or can trade back a little without thinking you give too much.

Reactions: Mrb1p

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Who’s talking him up like he’s a top 5 though, like legit people, not Twitter Joe Blow or posters of that ilk….

One scout on Bob's list had him 5, 2 others top 10.
Pronman has mentioned him at 5 with Habs.
Grant obviously (hate the guy but he's got contacts)
Basu just mentioned it on his pod.

Reactions: jaffy27

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I guess we didn't see everything last year behind closed doors....'cause it does sure seem that everybody agreed with Reinbacher. But this year...there's just no way they all agree on the same player.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
One scout on Bob's list had him 5, 2 others top 10.
Pronman has mentioned him at 5 with Habs.
Grant obviously (hate the guy but he's got contacts)
Basu just mentioned it on his pod.
McCagg is awful. Think of himself way too high. Has often stupid takes, i mean insane.

But...yeah...the ONLY thing he has is contacts. While the guy sometimes seem to portrait as if he has himself a player that high.....it's not true. What is true is that he hears things from people. So it's pretty clear to me that Sennecke is indeed in play at 5.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Another take is I don't understand why we are so high on Cayden Lindstrom when he only played 32 games. I just wished we had more viewing of him. His play coming back from surgery was not the best, but that was expected.

Galchenyuk played 33 games but scored 61 pts. Much more than Lindstrom's 46. And Galchenyuk had a tremendous D-1 season with 83 pts.

Galchenyuk's 61 points in 33 games were not in his draft year but in his D+1 year. Galchenyuk then proceeded to have an excellent NHL rookie campaign, 27 points in 48 games, entirely at even strength. He was a good player, a great natural talent, he just regressed due to non hockey factors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad