2024 NHL Draft Thread - Upd: Draft Lottery is May 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
What is the point of this experiment? Genuinely curious. I’m from around these parts.
Presumably he is trying to sleuth out the "true" lottery odds by running the simulation over and over, but instead of doing it a meaningful number of times to replicate what simply looking at the odds would already have told him, he's doing it with an arbitrary sample size of 12.

In other words, as another poster said, let him have his fun.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Presumably he is trying to sleuth out the "true" lottery odds by running the simulation over and over, but instead of doing it a meaningful number of times to replicate what simply looking at the odds would already have told him, he's doing it with an arbitrary sample size of 12.

In other words, as another poster said, let him have his fun.
Roger that

Reactions: TLEH

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
You parroted what I said, and then answered your own question

Impressive

You’re overstating KDs skating requirements. (And you know it…)

He’s drafted plenty of guys that are “fine” skaters. They’ve been very clear below average skating is the deal breaker.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Celebrini
Demidov
Buium
Parekh
Iginla
Lindstrom
Levshunov

We have a top 4 pick locked. This is the order that I want the players. If KD decides he wants Dickinson or Silayev in the top 4, I will be even more frustrated than I was with the Oliver Moore pick over Gabe Perreault.

Levshunov and Lindstrom would be fine, but I'd be much happier with the top 5.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
You’re overstating KDs skating requirements. (And you know it…)

He’s drafted plenty of guys that are “fine” skaters. They’ve been very clear below average skating is the deal breaker.
who are the fine skaters he has drafted?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
If Hawks get #2, would be fine with them trading down a few if they don't like the options at 2. Buium is a really talented kid, doubt they would use #2 on him but trade down to that 5-7 range, snag another asset or two and draft him...don't force a player at #2 you aren't enamored with if you think you can get your guy in that 5-7 range..

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Celebrini
Demidov
Buium
Parekh
Iginla
Lindstrom
Levshunov

We have a top 4 pick locked. This is the order that I want the players. If KD decides he wants Dickinson or Silayev in the top 4, I will be even more frustrated than I was with the Oliver Moore pick over Gabe Perreault.

Levshunov and Lindstrom would be fine, but I'd be much happier with the top 5.

With you on Silayev. I do like Dickinson though.

I have a feeling Buium and Iginla are gonna go much higher than people expect. I won’t be surprised if either goes top 5.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
With you on Silayev. I do like Dickinson though.

I have a feeling Buium and Iginla are gonna go much higher than people expect. I won’t be surprised if either goes top 5.
I agree. There are a lot of people that really like Dickinson because they view him as a complete defenseman. Im not nearly as high on him because I don’t think his hockey IQ is high enough to become a top pairing guy. Defensively he’s decent, but not nearly as good as people think he is. His reaction time and processing speed are much slower than that of the top two I mentioned. I like the guys with Offensive upside that have shown to be formidable defensively.

I think Parekhs actually pretty average defensively. Him not being good in his own end is way overblown. The offensive side of him and Buium give them an offensive floor in the modern NHL that I really like.

Reactions: HawksDub89

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
Demidov has an unorthodox stride but he moves well. Good top speed and outstanding edges that give him great lateral agility. I don't think he fits the mould of the kind of player Davidson avoids in the draft

Darkstar

Nov 3, 2007
Denver, CO
I agree. There are a lot of people that really like Dickinson because they view him as a complete defenseman. Im not nearly as high on him because I don’t think his hockey IQ is high enough to become a top pairing guy. Defensively he’s decent, but not nearly as good as people think he is. His reaction time and processing speed are much slower than that of the top two I mentioned. I like the guys with Offensive upside that have shown to be formidable defensively.

I think Parekhs actually pretty average defensively. Him not being good in his own end is way overblown. The offensive side of him and Buium give them an offensive floor in the modern NHL that I really like.
I think Dickinson can be a very good #2 dman. I don't think he has the offensive upside to be a #1. I think you're underselling his defense. He makes the occasional misread, but he's Scott Stevens compared to Levshunov.

Reactions: HawksDub89

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I ran tgexexoerinent forcthe 11th try after Hawksclostvto canes tonight....leavingbonlyv2 Games remaining.

I started the 12 attempts with the Tankathon Draft lottery Sim with 12 GR...said I woukdcdo 1 attempt beforexeach of the remaining 12 games..

It is just a fun experiment to see if the Tankathon Sim algorithm realky gives what is expected over a reasonable sample size of attenpts.

Thos 2nd last attempt had tge Hawks draftibg 2nd .

So now out of11 draws I got:

Hawks draft 1st once,2nd 4times ,3rd 3 times and 4th 3 times .

Reactions: Sarava

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I ran tgexexoerinent forcthe 11th try after Hawksclostvto canes tonight....leavingbonlyv2 Games remaining.

I started the 12 attempts with the Tankathon Draft lottery Sim with 12 GR...said I woukdcdo 1 attempt beforexeach of the remaining 12 games..

It is just a fun experiment to see if the Tankathon Sim algorithm realky gives what is expected over a reasonable sample size of attenpts.

Thos 2nd last attempt had tge Hawks draftibg 2nd .

So now out of11 draws I got:

Hawks draft 1st once,2nd 4times ,3rd 3 times and 4th 3 times .
Great post.

On another note, the 1-4 positions (pre-lottery) are the same 4 teams that were 1-4 last year - in a different order. And if Montreal and Arizona hold their spots at 5 & 6, the top 6 will all be the same teams as last year - again, pre-lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad