2024 NHL Draft Thread/Tankathon thread (Lottery Set for May 7th)

Predict CBJ's draft position

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I know we're not looking at Iginla, but man, if we're fifth or sixth, I can't help but think he should get a long look. Someone posted this tweet on the Habs board and this sort of dogged tenacity with the puck would be incredible to have:

On the Tij Iginla thread I made the comparison to this player:

The core strength to cut each way and buy infinite time with the puck, especially in the slot, is super valuable. Tij should become a better playmaker too as he learns how to make use of all the space with the puck he creates.

A lot of folks don't like my Nyquist comparison. Some think Tij is a big hitting power forward, though he's only 6'0 and not a big hitter really even in junior. He'll be about average size or slightly below in the NHL. And people tend to think of Nyquist as a boring middle six guy. I don't think Tij is middle six, I think Tij can be a fast top line wing who brings fans out of their seats at times. So basically Gus before his shoulder injuries:

Tij will be somewhere around 5th on my list.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I think the 2023 draft was the first draft since 2014 where the Blue Jackets didn't draft any Russians. Was there any specific reason for that or is that just how it turned out?

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I think the 2023 draft was the first draft since 2014 where the Blue Jackets didn't draft any Russians. Was there any specific reason for that or is that just how it turned out?

I was looking at our drafts last summer, and the last few drafts Jarmo seemed to go for shorter North Americans.

Last year he drafted Brindley, Whitelaw, Strathmann, and Pinelli. The year before it was Dumais and Mateychuk. He used to occasionally draft shorter North Americans, but those were in later rounds - like TF-W. My theory is he was having success with shorter North Americans outplaying their draft positions (and maybe he had high grades on people he didn’t draft like Cole Caufield) so he started drafting more. I think he was having greater success with Russians - they just can take longer to pan out.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Our Russian scouting is obviously the best part of our drafting, maybe the only thing above average about our drafting. I'd guess it's just how it turned out.

Reactions: Cowumbus and LJ7

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I was looking at our drafts last summer, and the last few drafts Jarmo seemed to go for shorter North Americans.

Last year he drafted Brindley, Whitelaw, Strathmann, and Pinelli. The year before it was Dumais and Mateychuk.
I thought about this too when Vincent mentioned that they are a light team, that there is a lot of smaller guys drafted lately. I suspect that is more a by-product of the scouting staff just preferring skill and hockey sense to size though.

Our Russian scouting is obviously the best part of our drafting, maybe the only thing above average about our drafting. I'd guess it's just how it turned out.
I sure hope so, for the very reason you mentioned. Columbus have done quite well scouting Russians. It's why I'm optimistic about the chances of Columbus drafting Surin. If they, for whatever reason, had lost their man on the ground there though, then I'm less hopeful about it. Oh well, we'll see.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I sure hope so, for the very reason you mentioned. Columbus have done quite well scouting Russians. It's why I'm optimistic about the chances of Columbus drafting Surin. If they, for whatever reason, had lost their man on the ground there though, then I'm less hopeful about it. Oh well, we'll see.

I have a hard time imagining Surin being there in the 2nd round, despite his typical rankings. Especially if he continues to have a strong playoffs in the MHL finals - he is the top center for Lokomitiv vs Demidov's SKA 1946 squad. So I don't imagine we'll get a crack at Surin.

My other lower ranked guy that I'm convinced is too good for it is Jesse Pulkkinen:

With that skillset at 6'6, he should be pushing into the six top defensemen group.

So as enamored as I am with these players I don't think they will be Blue Jackets. The flip side of that is that we have a shot at one of the best. At 4 or 5 we'll have a chance to get one of Demidov or Lindstrom. Or my personal favorite, Buium, who was just immaculate today as Denver won the national championship.

Reactions: Aaaarrgghh

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I have a hard time imagining Surin being there in the 2nd round, despite his typical rankings. Especially if he continues to have a strong playoffs in the MHL finals - he is the top center for Lokomitiv vs Demidov's SKA 1946 squad. So I don't imagine we'll get a crack at Surin.

My other lower ranked guy that I'm convinced is too good for it is Jesse Pulkkinen:

With that skillset at 6'6, he should be pushing into the six top defensemen group.

So as enamored as I am with these players I don't think they will be Blue Jackets. The flip side of that is that we have a shot at one of the best. At 4 or 5 we'll have a chance to get one of Demidov or Lindstrom. Or my personal favorite, Buium, who was just immaculate today as Denver won the national championship.

I think you're right, though I'll hold out hope for something like their 2nd and Boqvist for Nashville's 1st or something like that to get him. However it goes, if the Blue Jackets leave the draft with a player like Demidov or Buium (nice to see that he's getting more recognition), I can't complain.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJx614

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I know we're not looking at Iginla, but man, if we're fifth or sixth, I can't help but think he should get a long look. Someone posted this tweet on the Habs board and this sort of dogged tenacity with the puck would be incredible to have:

Very impressive... I do like that... a lot.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
imo they have nothing to gain by punting the pick to next year, unless they think this is a really weak draft and only have first round grades on a handful of guys.

the highest a second round pick can be is 33rd. this year's pick is set to be 36th. if they have ~25 guys graded as first rounders, it's almost certain that at least one will still be there at 36 given how much draft boards diverge team-by-team after the first dozen picks.
There's also value in using a pick now instead of waiting for a year, not to mention the team is surely hoping that the 2nd rounder will be a worse pick next year.

Would be shocking if they didn't keep this #36 pick.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Game one of the MHL finals, Surin vs Demidov.

I haven't watched yet but will check it out at the end of the night.

--------------------------------------​

Pronman's latest list is out:

1. Celebrini

2. Levshunov
3. Yakemchuk

4. Buium
5. Silayev
6. Catton

7. Parekh
8. Demidov
9. Dickinson
10. Helenius

11. Lindstrom
12. Sennecke
13. Jiricek
14. Eiserman
15. Iginla

16. Chernyshov
17. Greentree
18. Brandsegg-Nygard
19. Surin

It goes through 40 but I'll stop and not spoil all of his work.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
How good is Celebrini? Would Fantilli be a good comparison?
Similar points production in the NCAA. As far as I've heard, he is very good at basically everything and has ironed out a lot of fine details in his game through hard work.

I'll admit though that I haven't looked him up too much since I just assume he won't be available to the Blue Jackets.

Reactions: CBJx614

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
How good is Celebrini? Would Fantilli be a good comparison?
extremely good and extremely polished player. saying he doesn't have any weaknesses is true but also undersells how good his strengths are. would've been in the fantilli/carlsson tier last year and perhaps even gone ahead of them.

i've seen the crosby comparison (present-day, not peak) thrown around and i do see a decent amount of that in his game. in terms of actual impact, his ceiling is probably more of a pettersson/barkov type impact. legit star-level 1C, but not a perennial hart/ross guy.

i think he's a slam dunk 50+ point center in the NHL right off the rip next year. pairing him with fantilli down the middle would give the jackets the best center duo outside mcdavid/draisaitl in short order. wouldn't be there right away, but within the next 2-3 years, absolutely.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Pronman's latest list is out:

1. Celebrini

2. Levshunov
3. Yakemchuk

4. Buium
5. Silayev
6. Catton

7. Parekh
8. Demidov
9. Dickinson
10. Helenius

11. Lindstrom
12. Sennecke
13. Jiricek
14. Eiserman
15. Iginla

16. Chernyshov
17. Greentree
18. Brandsegg-Nygard
19. Surin

It goes through 40 but I'll stop and not spoil all of his work.
Is Helenius getting ranked as the classic high floor, low ceiling player of the draft, since he is a well rounded mid sized player?

Last edited:

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Is Helenius getting ranked as the classic high floor, low ceiling player of the draft, since he is a well rounded mid sized player?
pronman put him in the "bubble NHL all star and top of the lineup player" and the comp was robert thomas, which would be a great outcome.

the comps are always interesting because some are really ambitious (celebrini to crosby, silayev to chara) and others are kind of head-scratchers (parekh to klingberg, demidov to skinner).

of note, matvei gridin (who i'd love to get with the second round pick) got a yegor chinakhov comp and adam jiricek got a gavrikov comp.

based on the writeups, i'd love to target gridin (39th on the list) in the second, but a few other guys in that range who jump out:
  • sacha boisvert (25th)
  • julius miettinen (26th)
  • nikita artanmonov (28th)
  • jett luchanko (36th)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

pronman put him in the "bubble NHL all star and top of the lineup player" and the comp was robert thomas, which would be a great outcome.

the comps are always interesting because some are really ambitious (celebrini to crosby, silayev to chara) and others are kind of head-scratchers (parekh to klingberg, demidov to skinner).

of note, matvei gridin (who i'd love to get with the second round pick) got a yegor chinakhov comp and adam jiricek got a gavrikov comp.

based on the writeups, i'd love to target gridin (39th on the list) in the second, but a few other guys in that range who jump out:
  • sacha boisvert (25th)
  • julius miettinen (26th)
  • nikita artanmonov (28th)
  • jett luchanko (36th)

Helenius and Demidov both aren't getting enough credit for how tough they are. Both are well built, very strong on their edges, and both love to dictate physically. Demidov is also very long for his height (an underrated part of the size discussion). The Skinner comp is nonsense.

The Thomas comp for Helenius I think is legit in terms of upside, Helenius is very skilled and very smart. There's a lot of Nick Suzuki there. But Helenius is also more physical and nasty than Thomas and I think more than Suzuki.

I like that he hasn't given up on Adam Jiricek, though the Gavrikov comp is ridiculous. Jiricek will most likely never have even close to the physical strength of Gavrikov, even after he fills out.

Reactions: tunnelvision

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Helenius and Demidov both aren't getting enough credit for how tough they are. Both are well built, very strong on their edges, and both love to dictate physically. Demidov is also very long for his height (an underrated part of the size discussion). The Skinner comp is nonsense.

The Thomas comp for Helenius I think is legit in terms of upside, Helenius is very skilled and very smart. There's a lot of Nick Suzuki there. But Helenius is also more physical and nasty than Thomas and I think more than Suzuki.

I like that he hasn't given up on Adam Jiricek, though the Gavrikov comp is ridiculous. Jiricek will most likely never have even close to the physical strength of Gavrikov, even after he fills out.
I like Helenius' game a lot. He's a smart guy that tries to play a simple game. I like those kinds of players. He feels like the kind of guy to elevate his team-mates' play. When you give Thomas as a comparison, would you say that Helenius has top 6 upside? I've heard differing opinions. Many seem to think he's a 2C at best, but now I'm hearing more and more talk of him having top 6 potential. The reason for him not being rated as having a top 6 ceiling, as far as I understand, is that he seemingly doesn't have "the tools." But I've wondered if part of that is him trying to play a simple game. I seem to recall hearing that he was a bit flashier when playing on the junior level.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I like Helenius' game a lot. He's a smart guy that tries to play a simple game. I like those kinds of players. He feels like the kind of guy to elevate his team-mates' play. When you give Thomas as a comparison, would you say that Helenius has top 6 upside? I've heard differing opinions. Many seem to think he's a 2C at best, but now I'm hearing more and more talk of him having top 6 potential. The reason for him not being rated as having a top 6 ceiling, as far as I understand, is that he seemingly doesn't have "the tools." But I've wondered if part of that is him trying to play a simple game. I seem to recall hearing that he was a bit flashier when playing on the junior level.

Thomas was Pronman's comp. I like Suzuki a little bit more for Helenius. I'm not sure Helenius can get to the level of those players but I'm not ruling it out. I don't think Suzuki has eye popping tools either, he's a 5'11 average skater with high end hockey sense.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
After reading about LIndstrom's latest injury I think I'm off the bandwagon. The troubling thing to me about the rest of the choices (sans Celebrini) is that there doesn't seem to be any real consensus as to who ranks where. To me that says one of two things - either they all are going to be good players or this is going to turn out to be a crap shoot of a draft (moreso than normal).

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
After reading about LIndstrom's latest injury I think I'm off the bandwagon. The troubling thing to me about the rest of the choices (sans Celebrini) is that there doesn't seem to be any real consensus as to who ranks where. To me that says one of two things - either they all are going to be good players or this is going to turn out to be a crap shoot of a draft (moreso than normal).
Did he get hurt in the playoffs? I haven't seen anything. Thanks for any input.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
From 4/11 The Athletic:

Two of the best forward prospects eligible for the 2024 NHL Draft, the Spokane Chiefs’ Berkly Catton and Medicine Hat Tigers’ Cayden Lindstrom, are done for the season due to injuries.

Catton and Lindstrom’s agents confirmed the news to The Athletic.

Lindstrom had dealt with multiple injuries in the second half of the season. He broke a hand in the middle of the season, and has also been dealing with symptoms of a back injury. Lindstrom returned in time for Game 1 of Medicine Hat’s playoff opener but looked off in the series.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Lindstrom was due back from his hand injury months ago, but stayed out longer, and Pronman reported it was an unrelated back injury that was the issue. Lindstrom didn't make his return until game one of the playoffs, and didn't look fully himself, and took another game off mid-series.

On the NHL draft class podcast (NHL central scouting) Dan Marr was talking about it and mentioned that Lindstrom injured his back in off ice training, it wasn't from on ice play. That's a good sign I think, because he has to play very physical hockey to be at his best. You can learn how to do off ice workouts properly but he has to be reckless on the ice.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad