2024 NHL Draft Thread (CBJ to pick 4th)

Predict CBJ's draft position

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You look at the impact that power forwards like Adam Lowry have in the playoffs, it's hard to imagine Cayden Lindstrom slipping far. He probably goes top 3 or 4.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
You look at the impact that power forwards like Adam Lowry have in the playoffs, it's hard to imagine Cayden Lindstrom slipping far. He probably goes top 3 or 4.
Until that back is cleared, I wouldn’t touch him in the top 5

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I'm sure we'll learn more.

One thing that I heard was that it was an injury in off ice training, so it's not like his body couldn't handle playing rough and tumble hockey. That's encouraging, at least for me.
I’m excited to dip more into scouting for this pick this year.

Last year, while exciting, we knew we were ending up with one of three guys after the lottery. Made scouting anyone else in r1 useless. Not the case this year (unless of course the world ends and we win the lottery)

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I could still see him going as high as #2. For instance, both Chicago and San Jose's top C prospects are small. Lindstrom could complement Bedard or Smith very well.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

And then Dakota Joshua pots 3 pts for the Canucks.

I could still see him going as high as #2. For instance, both Chicago and San Jose's top C prospects are small. Lindstrom could complement Bedard or Smith very well.

Nearly every forward in Chicago's pool is small. San Jose has Musty, Edstrom, and Bystedt, but their top picks are all little guys. I agree with you, they'll both look for size up front.

Reactions: Aaaarrgghh

614 CBJ

Jul 12, 2022
Raleigh, NC
I'm still on the record of trading our first round pick if the team is willing to take Elvis also

He needs to go and I don't want to see the club have to buy him out

Columbus doesn't need #4 pick, they need to develop the talent they have

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I'm still on the record of trading our first round pick if the team is willing to take Elvis also

Sure, a buyout would suck but I'd take a buyout over trading this pick every day of the week. It's below two million every year except 2026-27. They can get a long-term real impact player with that 1st. Or they can use that pick or prospect in a trade to get an impact player. That's worth a whole lot more than between one and three (mostly below two) million in dead cap until 2030.

EDIT: And, counting the Wennberg buyout, the dead cap in 2026-27 only increases by around $400,000 from the previous year.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJWerenski8

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

You never have enough young talent.

If the jackets did that, and the kid who goes at 4 (or whatever pick it is) turns into a star, is it still worth it? (It’s not)

The buyout will suck, yes, but it’s not worth cutting your nose off.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus

lol, and you think Columbus is a laughingstock now? That's a true nail-in-the-coffin for any credibility as a franchise, stupid fool move. 31 other teams immediately make themselves cap space for that, laughing at us publicly as they do so. All to save yourself two million a year? I'm guessing you were in camp "trade the pick that became Fantilli along with Gus Nyqist so we don't have to trade Bjorkstrand" as well, huh?

Reactions: Indy18 and Napoli

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
You never have enough young talent.

If the jackets did that, and the kid who goes at 4 (or whatever pick it is) turns into a star, is it still worth it? (It’s not)

The buyout will suck, yes, but it’s not worth cutting your nose off.
an elvis buyout will cost about $11m over six years. so, $1.8m of cap space for the next six years. if you put aside the fact that they're not a cap team + the fact that the #4 pick would likely need a year of development before debuting, you're left with a simple question.

here's the value prop: is a top-five pick likely to provide more than $11m in surplus value over the first six years of their career?

the answer is almost certainly a 'yes' – in fact, a #4 overall pick would be a pretty good bet to exceed that during their ELC alone.

that's just considering on-ice impact over the same term. that doesn't even consider that the #4 pick would carry trade value years into their career, or that they could sign a long-term RFA deal that carries even more excess value over a longer timeline.

now, is the #4 overall pick worth more than, say, four years of brady tkachuk at $8.2m + the potential to re-sign him at age 28? that's a more compelling question.

if the jackets are that eager to get out from under elvis's contract, but that buyout-averse, they could easily do it by attaching a 3rd round pick of B-level prospect.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

What? You don't trade a top 5 pick in that manner. That is absolutely crazy. I don't care how much you want a player gone, you simply donm't do that. You'd be fired instantly in my book. Not to mention it wouldn't take that.

Reality is... yes, I think Elvis needs to move on, however, this team isn't going to be in a cap crunch the next year or two. They likely aren't more than a bubble team at best next year. So he sits on the bench another year. That would be easier to move if that's what it took. I think you'll see heavy retention and a mid-round pick if needed but never a 1st. not a top 5 pick anyway. Make it 2026 if you think you'll be in the top 1/2 of the league by that point. That's not likely an impact pick and still likely not needed for the pool.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

You don't add a top 5 pick as sweetener to move out a contract, you add a Dumais and middle round pick(s). If our new GM did that he should instantly be fired and immediately in the conversation for worst GM in the CBJ history right along with McLean...

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Lindstroms injury doesnt scare me at all and in fact may be the only reason he could potentially be available at our pick. We need to balance out the smaller player picks we've been making and Lindstrom plays a style that benefits a teamyear round. Id also say Boones back didnt appear to be much of an issue this year and according to some hes an old man.

He'd bring so much balance to our lineup and opens up more potential trades. The size/skill/speed combo of Lindstrom/Fantilli is drool worthy and would allow skill guys like Johnson to operate moving forward. Some major projection here but something like Johnson-Fantilli-Brindley Gaudreau-Lindstrom-Chinakhov/Marchenko someday could be magic. Even if Lindstrom proves better on the wing and we acquire a legit longterm top 6 center through trade/FA its just as good

Reactions: Indy18

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm thinking that the first five names off the board will be Celebrini, Buium, Levshunov, Lindstrom, and Demidov.

If that's the case, then I'm fine with us dropping a spot to pick #5, which is the most likely of the scenarios. Any of Buium, Lindstrom, or Demidov at #5 and I'd be thrilled.

But if we drop to #6, which there is a 20% chance of happening, then I might become the joker.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
thought you could only move up 2 spots?
Its 2 lotto draws for everyone who isn't in the playoffs. At most you can only move up 10 spots. There is a draw for 1st overall then a secondary draw for the second pick

I'm thinking that the first five names off the board will be Celebrini, Buium, Levshunov, Lindstrom, and Demidov.

If that's the case, then I'm fine with us dropping a spot to pick #5, which is the most likely of the scenarios. Any of Buium, Lindstrom, or Demidov at #5 and I'd be thrilled.

But if we drop to #6, which there is a 20% chance of happening, then I might become the joker.
I still feel like if we drop to 6 the Sharks, Chicago and Ducks (RHD) will all 3 go Dmen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad