2024 NHL Draft Thread/Tankathon thread (Lottery Set for May 7th)

Predict CBJ's draft position

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I think that's too low for Buium. #13 on Bob's list is a wild miss to me, but I'd have Buium ahead of every prognosticator on this list. I had him 2nd when I made my first list earlier in the month.

He is a 6’0” offensive left D. He loses a few spots for that. If he were 3 inches taller and/or played on the right side, people would have him higher.

It is like an interior offensive lineman won’t be the highest rated guy for the NFL draft.

He actually would make a lot of sense for Chicago. They have a big right D who has experience playing with a younger guy and hiding his deficiencies. He makes no sense for the CBJ unless they start making major trades.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I personally would pass. I can understand the hype, big, mean centerman with a good shot but not exactly a line driver. He's playing with some good players who put him in good spots.

I've heard that Medicine Hat's record is now below .500 without Cayden Lindstrom in the lineup. They were something like .700 with him.

Reactions: koteka

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He is a 6’0” offensive left D. He loses a few spots for that. If he were 3 inches taller and/or played on the right side, people would have him higher.

It is like an interior offensive lineman won’t be the highest rated guy for the NFL draft.

He actually would make a lot of sense for Chicago. They have a big right D who has experience playing with a younger guy and hiding his deficiencies. He makes no sense for the CBJ unless they start making major trades.

With our first pick we might have a chance to get an elite player. I have that suspicion with Buium. At that spot in the draft we should disregard our current lineup needs, because ideally whoever we draft will slide everyone else down.

That and our lineup is remarkably balanced for such a bad team. We have good young depth at every position. I don't even know which position we're supposed to be biased towards. If this of all teams passed on a potential superstar because of our lineup...

Reactions: Viqsi and LJ7

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
With our first pick we might have a chance to get an elite player. I have that suspicion with Buium. At that spot in the draft we should disregard our current lineup needs, because ideally whoever we draft will slide everyone else down.

That and our lineup is remarkably balanced for such a bad team. We have good young depth at every position. I don't even know which position we're supposed to be biased towards. If this of all teams passed on a potential superstar because of our lineup...

Can you tell me who are top 3 centers will be in 4 years? I can’t.

Can you tell me who we can pair with Mateychuk? I don’t think that guy is on the roster.

I would say our team is deepest at wing and 2nd deepest at left D. We have legit players and legit prospects at those positions.

We have 1 legit top 6 center (Jenner) and he is old. We do have legit center prospects.

Our right D situation is a mess. We have a couple of offensive guys who you can’t trust on the defensive end, a small dude who can’t stay healthy, a high draft pick who is unhappy with the team, and a 1st round pick who gets healthy scratched in the AHL. And Gudbranson.

Buium might be the most talented guy in this draft. I won’t argue that. He is not a good fit for the Jackets. If you think you want to build a team around Fantilli and Buium, then what? Trade the Russian wings and Jiricek for a couple of stay at home right D with size, hope Fantilli’s injury didn’t do any permanent muscle or nerve damage, and hope the center situation works out? People don’t like to trade right D.

I don’t think the lineup is balanced unless you mean it is balanced because there is plenty of mediocrity everywhere.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Fantilli, Sillinger, then some veteran guy with two-way cred in his early 30s we pick up somewhere along the way. I like Chandler Stephenson, but that's this summer so it might not be him specifically. Could also be someone like Sam Bennett when he becomes available. Or others. Or maybe Boone won't have retired yet and will still be going strong - that'd be pretty awesome. :)

Can you tell me who we can pair with Mateychuk? I don’t think that guy is on the roster.
Another spot for a thirtysomething free agency vet. I'm thinking Artem Zub 'cause I like him, but, hey, four years out so who knows?

The point being, there's always going to be vets in there. We don't need sufficient prospects for the entire roster - just the core spots plus some of the depth, and we have that easily covered.

And if we do pick Buium and he does end up that much better, Mateychuk (or even Werenski) is movable.

EDIT: Also...
Our right D situation is a mess. We have a couple of offensive guys who you can’t trust on the defensive end, a small dude who can’t stay healthy, a high draft pick who is unhappy with the team, and a 1st round pick who gets healthy scratched in the AHL. And Gudbranson.
The bolded is where your assessment falls down. The only other people still buying into "Jiricek is angry and wants to leave" are desperately thirsty fans of other teams dreaming of poaching him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

You try this exercise for teams around the league and most can't give you a solid answer. Players hit UFA, they get old. Write down your four-year projections for players around the league and then return to them in four years time, I think hindsight bias makes it hard for us to see how unpredictable it is. Any way you count it, most clubs don't have as many young centers as the Jackets.

We have a better answer for our future #1C than most clubs. The remaining roles can be decided by some combination of Voronkov (top six scoring so far), Sillinger (still 20 y.o.), and there's a possiblity that Jenner is still kicking. That and we may get surprise contributions from a Brindley or LDBB. Or maybe KJ makes a late switch to center after filling out. Many (most?) top 9 centers in the league weren't top 9 centers in the league at age 20 or 21. So the answer is that it is too early to know but we're in a relatively strong position when it comes to future centers.

And if all that fails, then god forbid we have to hire someone over the age of 26. Free agency, the horror! What if that player has excessive beard growth? Maybe even some hair loss?

The idea that you have to draft an entire team at every position and every level of the lineup is farcical. Florida has two players it drafted. Colorado currently has three. Vegas has had seven drafts and yet has no one in a top 9 or top 4 role that they drafted. Maybe Nic Hague, he's solid.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
The idea that you have to draft an entire team at every position and every level of the lineup is farcical. Florida has two players it drafted. Colorado currently has three. Vegas has had seven drafts and yet has no one in a top 9 or top 4 role that they drafted. Maybe Nic Hague, he's solid.

You don’t have to draft every position. Good wings and offensive left D are easy to get in free agency. Top 6 centers and solidly defensive right D are much harder. An optimal drafting strategy might be to only draft centers in the first round and right D and the occasional power forward with the rest of your picks and pick up wings, left D, and goalies through free agency.

Let’s not compare us to Vegas, the Rangers, the Kings, or the Florida teams. They can accomplish things in free agency that nobody else can.

EDIT: Also...

The bolded is where your assessment falls down. The only other people still buying into "Jiricek is angry and wants to leave" are desperately thirsty fans of other teams dreaming of poaching him.

If you don’t think Jiricek, KJ, and the Russians are unhappy with how they have been treated then you are incredibly naive. They might not have much power to do anything, but don’t assume they aren’t unhappy.

BTW, last summer I suggested trading Dumais while he was at maximum value and plenty of people thought I was stupid. Seems like it would have been a smart move now.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If you don’t think Jiricek, KJ, and the Russians are unhappy with how they have been treated then you are incredibly naive. They might not have much power to do anything, but don’t assume they aren’t unhappy.
What's relevant is whether or not that has an impact on their staying here, and I think this is getting grossly overstated.

BTW, last summer I suggested trading Dumais while he was at maximum value and plenty of people thought I was stupid. Seems like it would have been a smart move now.
If it's any consolation, I've moved on from thinking this is stupid to thinking that this is outright batshit insane. You're seriously already calling him a bust whose value has peaked because he had to have surgery? This is so excessively pessimistic it's bordering on outright nihilism.

We fired the boogeyman, y'know. He can't get to you anymore.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
If it's any consolation, I've moved on from thinking this is stupid to thinking that this is outright batshit insane. You're seriously already calling him a bust whose value has peaked because he had to have surgery? This is so excessively pessimistic it's bordering on outright nihilism.

We fired the boogeyman, y'know. He can't get to you anymore.

Did you miss the DUI? Last summer he might have brought a late 1st or early 2nd. He wouldn’t bring anything close to that now and we still have too many wings and no defensive D.

The boogeyman is Mike Priest. Jarmo is just a flying monkey.

This team has won one play off series in its existence. In a league where half the teams make the playoffs (and for many years more than half the teams made the playoffs) we have made the playoffs 6 times. Yet at times you act like the pissed off fans are somehow wronging you? Didn’t you participate in the great fan rebellion of 2012? Why aren’t you madder now?

Reactions: Toe Pick

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Did you miss the DUI? Last summer he might have brought a late 1st or early 2nd. He wouldn’t bring anything close to that now and we still have too many wings and no defensive D.
And? I'm not concerned about his trade value, I'm more interested in whether or not he's an effective NHL player. He has not yet demonstrated otherwise.
The boogeyman is Mike Priest. Jarmo is just a flying monkey.
:eyeroll: Mike Priest doesn't have a damn thing to do with anything hockey ops related in the organization.
This team has won one play off series in its existence. In a league where half the teams make the playoffs (and for many years more than half the teams made the playoffs) we have made the playoffs 6 times. Yet at times you act like the pissed off fans are somehow wronging you? Didn’t you participate in the great fan rebellion of 2012? Why aren’t you madder now?
Participate? Are you kidding? I was overwhelmingly and vociferously opposed to it. So much so that I'm pretty sure (although cannot prove) someone in a fit of pique fradulently attached my name to the overdue account of someone with a superficially similar one and thus got me harassed by debt collectors for ten years running over some asshole in Mansfield who refused to pay their water and medical bills. I still consider it the single most embarassing moment ever in Blue Jackets history. It was f***ing disgraceful.

So if I have that attitude on occasion, it's probably because that's exactly what has happened before.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
And? I'm not concerned about his trade value, I'm more interested in whether or not he's an effective NHL player. He has not yet demonstrated otherwise.

:eyeroll: Mike Priest doesn't have a damn thing to do with anything hockey ops related in the organization.

Participate? Are you kidding? I was overwhelmingly and vociferously opposed to it. So much so that I'm pretty sure (although cannot prove) someone in a fit of pique fradulently attached my name to the overdue account of someone with a superficially similar one and thus got me harassed by debt collectors for ten years running over some asshole in Mansfield who refused to pay their water and medical bills. I still consider it the single most embarassing moment ever in Blue Jackets history. It was f***ing disgraceful.

So if I have that attitude on occasion, it's probably because that's exactly what has happened before.

I am most concerned with building a team that can win a Cup. I think we are wing heavy and should trade wing assets for the pieces the team needs. We can either trade our good young wings in the NHL and hope our prospects develop or trade our prospects while they have value or do some combination of the two. Not trading anyone and watching the value of the assets drop while we still have no defensive D is stupid to me.

Mike Priest could fire that idiot and traitor JD and bring in a professional search firm to help get us out of the dysfunctional mess we are in.

The most embarrassing event in team history is having Boone and Johnny Hockey defend Babcock in a news conference.

Bill collectors are scum. My name isn’t super common but it isn’t unique (very common first name, less common spelling of a kind of common last name) so there are a few people in Ohio with the same name. Heck, I had a guy calling me every three months because a guy with the same name in Columbus, Indiana bought some jewelry on credit. So every three months I had to explain the difference between Ohio and Indiana. Don’t hold a bill collector against other Jackets fans — it was just an idiot hoping he could get you to send him money if he wore you down.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Do you know how many active NHL players do what he did on a regular basis? Hell an NHL coach did it and didn't get in trouble. I'm not saying it's okay, but it's not going to affect his ability on the ice. He didn't hit anything and he didn't kill anyone. Players have done MUCH worse.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Do you know how many active NHL players do what he did on a regular basis? Hell an NHL coach did it and didn't get in trouble. I'm not saying it's okay, but it's not going to affect his ability on the ice. He didn't hit anything and he didn't kill anyone. Players have done MUCH worse.
Just think if we lived in a timeline where Burnett was driving around drunk in Upper Arlington with his golf cart! Still an amazing video to watch!

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I am most concerned with building a team that can win a Cup. I think we are wing heavy and should trade wing assets for the pieces the team needs. We can either trade our good young wings in the NHL and hope our prospects develop or trade our prospects while they have value or do some combination of the two. Not trading anyone and watching the value of the assets drop while we still have no defensive D is stupid to me.
I also want more defensive D but this is overdoing it. You're preemptively writing off half our prospect pool over bad feelings.
Bill collectors are scum. My name isn’t super common but it isn’t unique (very common first name, less common spelling of a kind of common last name) so there are a few people in Ohio with the same name. Heck, I had a guy calling me every three months because a guy with the same name in Columbus, Indiana bought some jewelry on credit. So every three months I had to explain the difference between Ohio and Indiana. Don’t hold a bill collector against other Jackets fans — it was just an idiot hoping he could get you to send him money if he wore you down.
I've dealt with that kind before; this was a step beyond merely one aggressive idiot (or, rather, the one asshole probably responsible managed to leverage those aggressive idiots rather effectively). That and the subtextual tweet or two that came out around the same time things got started (then were promptly deleted before I thought to take screenshots) had me wondering. It wasn't CapnCornelius himself as far as I know (altho if I ever found out he worked collections back then I would easily believe him capable); just a comment by one of his Twitter fanboys whom I could never connect with anyone here. I'd have let it go except that, well, let's just say that "every three months" would have been a luxurious breath of fresh air; it was monthly calls starting out, spread to multiple agencies, and peaked at monthly letters and weekly phone calls. Occasionally I got threatened with small claims court (thankfully that never actually came to pass). And I think I spent something like $150 on certified mail over the years on Official Notification And Documentation... and Every. Single. Time. they'd then turn around and sell the debts to someone else but still preserving my (hyphenated) surname on it rather than the actual delinquent's (not-hyphenated) surname, without any record whatsoever of previous "that is not me, here is documentation that this is not me, leave me the f*** alone already" legally binding notifications. To this day I have occasional panic attacks when the phone rings with numbers I don't recognize, but thankfully in recent years (roughly since the pandemic) the debt collectors have quieted down and now I just get five calls a day asking about selling real estate I've never owned to folks who, when they do try to address me by name, inevitably confuse me with my mother.

I don't normally talk about it because, again, I can't prove a damned thing; what little information I have wouldn't hold up in Internet Court, let alone actual court. But you can't have something like that happen for nearly half your adult life and not have it leave a pretty heavy impression.

• Wow
Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You don’t have to draft every position. Good wings and offensive left D are easy to get in free agency. Top 6 centers and solidly defensive right D are much harder. An optimal drafting strategy might be to only draft centers in the first round and right D and the occasional power forward with the rest of your picks and pick up wings, left D, and goalies through free agency.

I gave you a list of 7 potential top 9 centers already within the organization. How many do we need to have before we are allowed to draft the best player? 9? 10? So if we have 10 potential top 9 centers we can then draft the player that we think will be a star LD? This is ridiculous, I really am honestly wondering if you actually believe this crap.

Let’s not compare us to Vegas, the Rangers, the Kings, or the Florida teams. They can accomplish things in free agency that nobody else can.

And you think we wouldn't be capable of signing a single middle six center if we needed one.

Reactions: Viqsi

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I gave you a list of 7 potential top 9 centers already within the organization. How many do we need to have before we are allowed to draft the best player? 9? 10? So if we have 10 potential top 9 centers we can then draft the player that we think will be a star LD? This is ridiculous, I really am honestly wondering if you actually believe this crap.

And you think we wouldn't be capable of signing a single middle six center if we needed one.

We haven’t been able to sign a middle six center and we have needed one for years. So don’t act like they are available. The ones that are available (Kadri, Duchene) get contracts that look awful almost immediately. Fantilli is coming off a strange injury that we have heard nothing about. Sillinger has looked much better this year, but you had written him off. Voronkov has not been treated well by the team and might not stick around. Boone is fine in 2024 but we are years from being Cup contenders. I am drafting centers until we actually have the strength down the middle that we have at wing and not just hypothetical centers. If you want a good offensive left D, guys like Shattenkirk will cost nothing. Short offensive left D don’t have much value in today’s NHL. If we don’t have centers, we know what this team will be like. If we don’t have an offensive left D, we could acquire one with a second round pick.

Reactions: EspenK

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Buium is a two way D, not LH OFD.

Huge tank battle on Tuesday.
Lose that one & Jackets could finish with the same number of points they have now. Last 5 games are tough. Only hope there is teams resting or taking CBJ lightly. Realistically I guess 4 to 6 points the rest of the way. Hoping for fewer but we'll see.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Buium is a two way D, not LH OFD.

I will assume he is more of an offensive left D until he proves he is an NHL level two-way D. Much safer that way for guys under 6’3”.

Look, he is a fantastic talent. I just don’t think he is a top 3 pick based on his position and he is certainly not the guy we need to take with a top 5 pick given the way this team is built.

Reactions: EspenK

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Short offensive left D don’t have much value in today’s NHL.

Buium is 6'0.

The last five Norris winners:

6'0
5'11
5'11
6'1
6'0

I will assume he is more of an offensive left D until he proves he is an NHL level two-way D. Much safer that way for guys under 6’3”.

I'm trying to imagine this convo in a real scouting context. Even the old boys network scouts that obsess over size would laugh you out of the room.

If you want to know how good someone is at defending, you do an analysis of defense, not a height measurement.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Lose that one & Jackets could finish with the same number of points they have now. Last 5 games are tough. Only hope there is teams resting or taking CBJ lightly. Realistically I guess 4 to 6 points the rest of the way. Hoping for fewer but we'll see.
CBJ have the 3rd most difficult SOS the rest of the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad