2024 NHL Draft Thread (CBJ to pick 4th)

Predict CBJ's draft position

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I have seen enough to have some favorites.

1. Macklin Celebrini C

2. Zeev Buium LD

3. Ivan Demidov F
4. Cayden Lindstrom F
5. Carter Yakemchuk RD

6. Sam Dickinson LD

That's my clear top 6.

I'm waiting on more video to rank the rest.

I've heard some people praise Catton's compete level but I didn't see that in the couple games I watched, so I'll wait for more. He looked like a low motor Marner to me, which is not going to work in the NHL.

Levshunov I just don't see much talent or good decision making overall. More of a Bogosian to me, probably after #10.

Silayev I see more of a Tyler Myers. He might be a great defensive play killer though, so I'm considering him around #7.

Cole Eiserman obviously does nothing except rifle pucks in the net. He's strong and will battle for his spot to shoot, so I do think it will work for him in the NHL. I'd still take him around #7-#9 just because he could be a 45 goal guy.

Konsta Helenius is a smart two-way very responsible pro already, and I'm confident he'll have a long career as a middle six center in the NHL. I don't see top line upside, and I prefer to take guys like this after #10.

Adam Jiricek's leg injury scares me off of him a bit. I haven't seen anything compelling from Iginla or Greentree yet. Connelly is DND for off ice reasons.

I hate Zayne Parekh's defense, he looks like rookie Boqvist or Brandt Clarke. But I'll admit his shot is on a whole different level even from offensive dynamos like them. He could be a 20 goal guy in the NHL, I feel like I probably have to give him his due in the top 10.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I have seen enough to have some favorites.

1. Macklin Celebrini C

2. Zeev Buium LD

3. Ivan Demidov F
4. Cayden Lindstrom F
5. Carter Yakemchuk RD

6. Sam Dickinson LD

That's my clear top 6.

I'm waiting on more video to rank the rest.

I've heard some people praise Catton's compete level but I didn't see that in the couple games I watched, so I'll wait for more. He looked like a low motor Marner to me, which is not going to work in the NHL.

Levshunov I just don't see much talent or good decision making overall. More of a Bogosian to me, probably after #10.

Silayev I see more of a Tyler Myers. He might be a great defensive play killer though, so I'm considering him around #7.

Cole Eiserman obviously does nothing except rifle pucks in the net. He's strong and will battle for his spot to shoot, so I do think it will work for him in the NHL. I'd still take him around #7-#9 just because he could be a 45 goal guy.

Konsta Helenius is a smart two-way very responsible pro already, and I'm confident he'll have a long career as a middle six center in the NHL. I don't see top line upside, and I prefer to take guys like this after #10.

Adam Jiricek's leg injury scares me off of him a bit. I haven't seen anything compelling from Iginla or Greentree yet. Connelly is DND for off ice reasons.

I hate Zayne Parekh's defense, he looks like rookie Boqvist or Brandt Clarke. But I'll admit his shot is on a whole different level even from offensive dynamos like them. He could be a 20 goal guy in the NHL, I feel like I probably have to give him his due in the top 10.
Not sure why but im a bit surprised you are that high on Demidov. I hear hes more involved all over the ice than Michkov. He can definitely skate and add skill, I hope the KHL doesnt bury him completely knowing he likely leaves after a year

With Parekh how much do you weigh his team into things? Statistically hes on an island which is pretty impressive for a defenseman. Do you think his coach gives him too much of a green light or do you think its as much a mentality issue? A higher end Ryan Merkley?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not sure why but im a bit surprised you are that high on Demidov. I hear hes more involved all over the ice than Michkov. He can definitely skate and add skill, I hope the KHL doesnt bury him completely knowing he likely leaves after a year

Yeah I toyed with Demidov each spot in that 3-5 range. I like his upside more than everyone below that. His retrievals are good. Even vs men in the KHL I liked his fundamentals. Oddly enough Demidov's passing and shooting need work, I think. He's getting the puck into high danger areas all night long and has the right idea, it's just a little off. I think he can improve those skills and then you'll see his pro point totals take off.

With Parekh how much do you weigh his team into things? Statistically hes on an island which is pretty impressive for a defenseman. Do you think his coach gives him too much of a green light or do you think its as much a mentality issue? A higher end Ryan Merkley?

Same thing when Mintyukov was with Saginaw. I don't care if he's caught up ice. But what does it look like when he's trying to defend? Parekh looks like he doesn't know how.

I didn't start scouting for hours on end until 2020, so I couldn't tell you much about Merkley. In general though Parekh's shot puts him ahead of all the other fancy one-way D.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I'm not generally pro-tank, but today's game is as close to a must-lose as they've got the rest of the way. A win puts them just two points behind Montreal and leapfrogs Ottawa again (their games in hand notwithstanding). A good week plus more losses by Montreal, Arizona, and Ottawa means Columbus slides to 7th pick pre-draft and as bad as 9th overall after the draft. As soon as Pittsburgh slides into the top 10 and the protections on their pick to San Jose kick in, you know that pick is as good as guaranteed one of the two lottery slots.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Oh the pesimism rises up yet again...Anywhere from 2-8 lands you (in no order)

Levshunov
Yakemchuk
Catton
Silayev
Dickinson
Lindstrom
Demidov

Four potential top pair D-men, two 1/2 Centers and a top line wing. They could go in any order from 2-8. Hell, throw in Buium and even Helenius and you have potential top of the lineup guys through 10 this year. They aren't going to be catching any team 10 points ahead of them so based on the current standings, even with the loss of both draws, they pick no worse than 9th. They are going to get another high end prospect.

I can't wait to hear the moaning and groaning for the next 4 months. Fun times....again.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I could see 8th. With the way draft rankings have been arrayed (all over the place from 2-10) I could also see us landing a star player at #8.
Between pick #2 and #10, it really is wide open. I'd be happy with most of the picks there, honestly. So I have a hard time worrying about this draft as much as last year, even though it would be slightly annoying to see them slide down to #8 after being top 5 all season.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Guess I'm wrong for wanting the best possible chance at a better pick. Obviously there's no catching the bottom three, but fourth worst pre-lottery is absolutely attainable, and I would prefer a better pick so as to have the larger pool of choices. Fourth worst to finish means likely sixth overall, which means a few more players to choose from than eighth or ninth does. It also means a better second rounder, assuming they don't slide the pick to 2025.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Guess I'm wrong for wanting the best possible chance at a better pick. Obviously there's no catching the bottom three, but fourth worst pre-lottery is absolutely attainable, and I would prefer a better pick so as to have the larger pool of choices. Fourth worst to finish means likely sixth overall, which means a few more players to choose from than eighth or ninth does. It also means a better second rounder, assuming they don't slide the pick to 2025.
Oh no, you're not wrong for wanting that. The draft is one of the few things that are left to be excited about in this season. I understand what you mean. It is annoying to see them go down in the picking order and of course right now I personally want to see two things: Columbus giving their younger players more opportunities and them picking as high as possible in the draft. But it can be reassuring to think that there seems to be a cluster of similarly ranked players in the top 10 this year, unlike last year, when there was a clear top 4.

Reactions: majormajor

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I'm not generally pro-tank, but today's game is as close to a must-lose as they've got the rest of the way. A win puts them just two points behind Montreal and leapfrogs Ottawa again (their games in hand notwithstanding). A good week plus more losses by Montreal, Arizona, and Ottawa means Columbus slides to 7th pick pre-draft and as bad as 9th overall after the draft. As soon as Pittsburgh slides into the top 10 and the protections on their pick to San Jose kick in, you know that pick is as good as guaranteed one of the two lottery slots.
Looks like they got the message

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Think on the positive side, starting at 6OA, the odds say you are more likely to end up with a pick higher than where you are slotted! AKA more likely to move up than down.

Reactions: CBJx614

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Last time we had the 8th pick it worked out pretty well for us.
If the Jackets got say Zeev Buium or Berkly Catton at #8, which seems to be a real possibility in this draft, I would be ecstatic. Though, in Buium's case, I feel like he will be going to Anaheim. He's been described as the smartest player in the draft. That screams Pat Verbeek to me.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Hard to know exactly where we fill finish, but if we're in that 5-7 range, I assume the discussion will be around taking one of the cluster of D that's after Celebrini or Catton if he's still there.

I haven't dug into how long Silayev or Demidov are under contract in the KHL.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Demidov has one year left and won't sign an extension, which is why SKA had him play with kids in the MHL instead of loaning him out to a low level KHL club like they've done with Michkov a few times now.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm watching Buium and the Denver Pioneers now, in the NCHC semifinal game. Buium has a goal and an assist so far halfway through the game.

Edit: Finished it off with the OT winner. Two beautiful solo goals by him. This is a guy that people have missed on largely because they think his team is propping up his scoring, but I'm seeing a guy who would set draft year records on any college team. He's a great player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowumbus

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
This is a guy that people have missed on largely because they think his team is propping up his scoring, but I'm seeing a guy who would set draft year records on any college team. He's a great player.

I don’t know that people have missed on him. What do you mean?

1711192291690.png

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Does Cayden Lindstrom’s injury troubles this year scare anyone off of him?

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Does Cayden Lindstrom’s injury troubles this year scare anyone off of him?
I personally would pass. I can understand the hype, big, mean centerman with a good shot but not exactly a line driver. He's playing with some good players who put him in good spots.

Contrast that with Catton who makes everyone around him better and putting up crazy numbers with essentially one of other player to help him who's also 20 years old.

Catton also plays a ton of minutes, I'm not concerned at all with his motor. When you have to do it all yourself, playing PP, PK and line driving 5v5, going 100% isn't possible.

To add to that, I believe Catton is one of only 4 other players to have over 100pts in the WHL in his draft year.

He's easily top 5 for me, I'd take him no later than 3.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I think that's too low for Buium. #13 on Bob's list is a wild miss to me, but I'd have Buium ahead of every prognosticator on this list. I had him 2nd when I made my first list earlier in the month.

Bobs list is from scouts like 3 months ago.Could easily change

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad