2024 NHL Draft Thread (CBJ to pick 4th)

Predict CBJ's draft position

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
There are still 4 things we need:

Center - assuming Fantilli is a 1C, who is the 2C in 5 years?

Right D - we have a bunch of guys with flaws, but hopefully Jiricek figures it out and Severson is serviceable for the first several years of his contract, but we need another right D to develop

Goalie - do I need to say anything here

big defensive left D - Provorov is a UFA next year, we have several prospects but none are big, hard hitting, penalty killing, shut it down at the end of the game type Ds

If we draft 6-12 and take the best wing available, we are stupid. We should trade back before drafting another wing. And grab a solid D.

A guy who intrigues me is Zayne Parekh. He used to ride to the rink with Mintyukov. He will likely go around 10th.

Last edited:

Michigan Magic

Nov 3, 2023
Hattiesburg
I haven't watched most of them yet.

I don't care about position. I think we're at a point where we can just go for who we think will be the best player. More so than usual.

Adam J is such a great skater, and good puck skills, I think he'll be a complete player who can control the game. A bit more like Nemec than big brother David. The Czech league is impossible for youngsters to score in. That's how people whiffed on Kulich and Svozil. I'd be happy to get Adam around 10th.
I like Adam too.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If we draft 6-12 and take the best wing available, we are stupid. We should trade back before drafting another wing. And grab a solid D.

If he's a pure finisher or a soft player maybe, but if you have a power forward or a hard nosed guy who drives play and creates then it really doesn't matter which side of the dot he lines up on. Matt Boldy is Matt Boldy regardless of where he is on the draw, same for Mark Stone, etc... We badly overessentialize position.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
If he's a pure finisher or a soft player maybe, but if you have a power forward or a hard nosed guy who drives play and creates then it really doesn't matter which side of the dot he lines up on. Matt Boldy is Matt Boldy regardless of where he is on the draw, same for Mark Stone, etc... We badly overessentialize position.

Have you checked out Cayden Lindstrom? He is a big wing who can hit. I think people are divided on him. I’d rather add to our defensive prospects than take yet another wing. This looks like it could be a defense heavy draft.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Have you checked out Cayden Lindstrom? He is a big wing who can hit. I think people are divided on him. I’d rather add to our defensive prospects than take yet another wing. This looks like it could be a defense heavy draft.

We ought to be shopping for great players, no positional concern.

Reactions: joybang

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
We ought to be shopping for great players, no positional concern.

Generally I would agree, but doing that led us to the wing heavy mess we have now.

At some point, if you are always BPA, you might end up with an unbalanced prospect pool. Then you should make some trades. Unfortunately, we don’t make the trades of prospects like we should. We should be trying to move at least one of Malatesta, Brindley, and Dumais. Jarmo moved on from Forsberg when we had 2 young promising goalies. I wish he would make a similar trade with some forward prospects.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Generally I would agree, but doing that led us to the wing heavy mess we have now.

At some point, if you are always BPA, you might end up with an unbalanced prospect pool. Then you should make some trades. Unfortunately, we don’t make the trades of prospects like we should. We should be trying to move at least one of Malatesta, Brindley, and Dumais. Jarmo moved on from Forsberg when we had 2 young promising goalies. I wish he would make a similar trade with some forward prospects.
They've tried to achieve the opposite. 1st round picks like Jiricek, Mateychuk, Ceulemans to shore up the defense and Svozil who should have gone higher. We'll see where he plays but Johnson was drafted with the expectation of playing center along with Sillinger and Fantilli. In the past they havent drafted a ton of centers but recently its been obvious focus. A lot of the wings they have drafted recently like the ones you suggest we trade from have come after the 1st

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

It's not just a wing heavy mess. We have a lot of prospects in general. We have no idea who would be 2C in 5 years. Could be Laine, Fantilli, KJ, Sillinger, or even LDBB, Voronkov, or Brindley. Or maybe we use all the tools at our disposal like trade or FA. Normal teams do that! E.g. Kadri, Bennett, etc... if you draft a great winger you won't have a problem trading for a 2C.

We absolutely should not be trying to unload guys like Malatesta, Brindley, or Dumais, not before we know their level or they're out of waiver exemption. They're all very very young. Not a problem.

Reactions: CBJx614 and stevo61

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
It's not just a wing heavy mess. We have a lot of prospects in general. We have no idea who would be 2C in 5 years. Could be Laine, Fantilli, KJ, Sillinger, or even LDBB, Voronkov, or Brindley. Or maybe we use all the tools at our disposal like trade or FA. Normal teams do that! E.g. Kadri, Bennett, etc... if you draft a great winger you won't have a problem trading for a 2C.

We absolutely should not be trying to unload guys like Malatesta, Brindley, or Dumais, not before we know their level or they're out of waiver exemption. They're all very very young. Not a problem.

The problem is you can’t trade a bonafide NHL wing for a 2c, 1c, or really good defenseman. But you can trade prospects for prospects. We seem to do a better job drafting wings than anything else. So you move prospect wings who are developing well for other non wing prospects that are developing well.

Reactions: tunnelvision

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The problem is you can’t trade a bonafide NHL wing for a 2c, 1c, or really good defenseman. But you can trade prospects for prospects. We seem to do a better job drafting wings than anything else. So you move prospect wings who are developing well for other non wing prospects that are developing well.

We're in a relatively good position long term at center. There's no need for such trades.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I suspect we will have a middle pick, somewhere between 13-17. Im usually not for trading first round picks, but if we can package the pick with a player or two, this seems like the year to do so If we could get a top 6 net finding forward in return.

I’d say around 10 more likely.

& at that point I wouldn’t trade it, too valuable moving forward
There will be a time to trade 1st rounders for runs

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Yes. When you have Adam Fantilli and about five other potential top six centers, that's a better long term outlook at the position than most teams have.
I might have overlooked the "relative". I, however, am not as convinced about the 5 potentials. Time will tell.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I might have overlooked the "relative". I, however, am not as convinced about the 5 potentials. Time will tell.

Individually I'm not sure about KJ or Laine at center or whether Sillinger, Voronkov, LDBB, Brindley, etc... can play at a 2C level. But altogether there's a lot of talent in the mix and I like our chances that a player or two will come through to complement Fantilli at center.

No one we draft around #10 in this draft is going to make a huge difference in our outlook at any position. There aren't that many blue chip top six Cs in this draft. We'd get a guy who adds to our odds, another name to list along with Sillinger and company.

Reactions: Cowumbus

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
This is how I evaluate current impact and potential of Jackets defensemen in 5 different categories:

+ = above average skills at NHL level
0 = average
- = below average
(teammate protection skills means fighting, intimidation, crease clearance skills etc.)

rush defensecycle defenseteammate protection skillspuck moving skillsPPQB skills
Werenski+0-+0
Provorov+0-+0
Severson00-+0
Gudbranson00+--
Bean0--0-
Blankenburg00-+0
Boqvist---++
Peeke000--

As for top D prospects, this is how I currently see their potential at NHL level:

rush defensecycle defenseteammate protection skillspuck movingPPQB skills
Jiricek0+0++
Mateychuk+0-+0
Svozil+0-+0
Ceulemans000+0
Christiansen0--+0
Knazko-0-+0
Richard+0-0-
Makarov++-0-
Strathmann00-+0

---------

Conclusion: I'd like to see more good cycle defenders in our system (that aren't horrible with the puck). I don't care whether you get them by drafting or via trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I’d like to see some talented veterans on the team
this team is still one of the youngest in the league
wouldn’t hurt to have a couple of more

I agree, they need to target talented veterans in the 2024 draft

Ok now
Tell us how that will happen

Can we draft Patrice Bergeron?

Ask Monk
he’s the one who thinks you can draft a veteran

After reading these I'm not sure who gets the win...I'll go with Monk for his sarcasm and give koteka 5 mins for 3rd guy in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad