2024 NHL Draft Thread Part 2 - Picks 2 & 20 in the 1st Round

Who do we take?

• Total voters

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Habs fan here in peace....creeping your board to see what the sentiment is. Don't blame the majority of you guys for wanting Demigod.

Anyways....while creeping, I saw this little gem. I'd take it. 5th + Beck or Roy......and Ill throw in the Jets pick to move up to 2nd.
I would take this and run to the phone to report the trade to the league. You would end up with a choice of 3 if not all of Buium, Parkeh, Dickinson, or Silayev. To me, Buium or Parkeh are the ingredient that MAY be missing in the deep Hawks prospect pool of D, namely guys that project as being able to run PP1. Korchinski has that potential, but adding a 2nd guy that gives you an option if he don't develop as you hope would be a major piece of the puzzle to address. (IF) All things being equal between Parkeh and Buium, the righty component of Parkeh also fits like an absolute glove. Also love the fit of Roy with the Hawks forward prospect pool (and Beck would be a damn nice fit too). Another 1st gives you a bullet to either take a swing at forward with size (with house money where is you swing for the fences and whiff it is a freebee anyways) or a chip you can push into get yourself into the 10-15 range where I think the more desirable forwards will go that you are hoping make it to 20. I would incist on making Montreal include a RHD....Barron probably makes the most sense (as organizationally the Hawks can't really touch Mailoux's baggage) throwing back one of the late 2nd's even.

Parkeh or Buium + Roy + Barron + Winnipeg 1st for #2 & Vancouver's 2nd would be some wizardry on the part of Kyle from Chicago. High end PP1 prospect, fill the gapping prospect pool holes at RW & RD with quality NHL ready prospects and upgrade a late 2nd to a late 1st. Can't see Montreal actually doing it, but one can dream they love themselves some Demidov THAT much.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I would take this and run to the phone to report the trade to the league. You would end up with a choice of 3 if not all of Buium, Parkeh, Dickinson, or Silayev. To me, Buium or Parkeh are the ingredient that MAY be missing in the deep Hawks prospect pool of D, namely guys that project as being able to run PP1. Korchinski has that potential, but adding a 2nd guy that gives you an option if he don't develop as you hope would be a major piece of the puzzle to address. (IF) All things being equal between Parkeh and Buium, the righty component of Parkeh also fits like an absolute glove. Also love the fit of Roy with the Hawks forward prospect pool (and Beck would be a damn nice fit too). Another 1st gives you a bullet to either take a swing at forward with size (with house money where is you swing for the fences and whiff it is a freebee anyways) or a chip you can push into get yourself into the 10-15 range where I think the more desirable forwards will go that you are hoping make it to 20. I would incist on making Montreal include a RHD....Barron probably makes the most sense (as organizationally the Hawks can't really touch Mailoux's baggage) throwing back one of the late 2nd's even.

Parkeh or Buium + Roy + Barron + Winnipeg 1st for #2 & Vancouver's 2nd would be some wizardry on the part of Kyle from Chicago. High end PP1 prospect, fill the gapping prospect pool holes at RW & RD with quality NHL ready prospects and upgrade a late 2nd to a late 1st. Can't see Montreal actually doing it, but one can dream they love themselves some Demidov THAT much.
Happy that you like the deal. I feel like the added pieces of Barron and the Vancouver 2nd just makes too many moving pieces. Vancouver 2nd is late in the round. Barron hasn't fallen that far, and still projects as a bottom pair RD with some degree of certainty, so his value is probably more accurately in the 30-40 pick range at this point. If you want Barron, I would probably insist on removing Beck/Roy and downgrade the forward piece slightly to Mesar.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Happy that you like the deal. I feel like the added pieces of Barron and the Vancouver 2nd just makes too many moving pieces. Vancouver 2nd is late in the round. Barron hasn't fallen that far, and still projects as a bottom pair RD with some degree of certainty, so his value is probably more accurately in the 30-40 pick range at this point. If you want Barron, I would probably insist on removing Beck/Roy and downgrade the forward piece slightly to Mesar.
I am greedy and trying to make the trade (slightly) more lopsided as I do think it will take something this compelling to make the Hawks move off that pick. Figure RHD is deep for the Habs as they have other prospects ahead of Barron. I could get talked into making it the LA kings 2nd &/or add another mid round pick or lesser prospect....or just as happy with the original proposal and the Hawks can look elsewhere or sign a stop gap UFA for RHD

Reactions: waitin425

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas

2. Chicago Blackhawks: Ivan Demidov, RW, SKA St. Petersburg

I believe this is a two-horse race between Demidov and Belarusian defenseman and Michigan State freshman standout Artyom Levshunov. The Blackhawks now have the next month and a half to figure out which one it’ll be. I’d expect them to meet with Demidov and his reps at Gold Star Hockey’s planned showcase in Florida the week before the draft and with Levshunov both at the combine and the Gold Star event. I’d give Demidov the pole position if everything goes well in his meeting and the Blackhawks feel comfortable with the practicalities of drafting a Russian. Either way, look for one of Dan Milstein’s star clients to become a Blackhawk. They don’t have to operate in silence, either, because they’ll get whoever they settle on. Demidov is probably the most purely individually skilled player in the draft and would complement Bedard well both at five-on-five and on the power play. He’s got the desired work ethic the Blackhawks covet as well. Sticking at No. 2 is a game-changer for them.

20. Chicago Blackhawks (via Tampa Bay Lightning): Jett Luchanko, C, Guelph Storm

If the Blackhawks take Demidov, I could see more of an urge for them to take a defenseman here. If they take Levshunov, a forward like Luchanko fits with what they’ve prioritized in recent years (chief among them: skating). I’ve got them taking Luchanko here even after taking Demidov if only because this isn’t a range in which many teams will have a D at the top of their lists and Luchanko has pushed himself from the 30s conversation into the 20s conversation. He’s going to further solidify himself in this range in combine testing, too.
Jiricek, Brandsegg-Nygard, Sennecke, Emery, Connelly, and Hage go right before 20

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs

if the Demidov questions (is he coming to NA after next season and injury status) aren't answered satisfactorily, then, yeah, sure. But if they are, I don't think so, despite being a tempting offer.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Interesting that Pronman likes the ceiling for Yakemchuk...Hawks could trade down and still get hom maybe at 5,6 or 7..

But Still tge issue of Seth Jones always looms..

If you are drafting a RD this early in round 1,whether at 2 or as late as 7,you still are projecting that guy as a top core dman.. But automatically tgat guy can only be 2nd pairing for nextc6vseasons because of $9.5..

If you want that RD you take to be tgecpp qb,it creates 2 problems:

. You belittle Jones who only gets demoted to just 2nd po qb ....and you also carry an expensive guy paid to be your 1D and your 1pp QB , as a sirtcofxwastrd overpay expense.

Thusxit makes only sense if you draft that RD as a 2RD replacement for Murphy to be a better offensive and defensive value than Murohy...not as a #1D replacement for a denoted and thus unhappy $9.5.

SOTHEBY'S $9.5 problem is a reason why tou shoukd fix other issues before loading hype on a RD as a #1D solution...you do not pick a RD who you think should be ypurx1D when you are already paying sineone else for 6 more seasons to fill that role.

You cannot allow such a conundrum to fester.

So fixing other areas of need with no impediment issues shoukd bectgecstrategy

This tge Demidov(hogh ceiling but anotger "smalk" guy up front in a sea of small guys ....=structural problem ..=draft for show but nit for dough(ie.matchup and pkayoff success)...vs. the solution at 2C for exactly these needs=Lindstrom.

Logocalky tge puck has got to be Lindstrom..

We cannotcafgirdcto go smalk Gain up front given the plethora of small guys we have and have coming already.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Interesting that Pronman likes the ceiling for Yakemchuk...Hawks could trade down and still get hom maybe at 5,6 or 7..

But Still tge issue of Seth Jones always looms..

If you are drafting a RD this early in round 1,whether at 2 or as late as 7,you still are projecting that guy as a top core dman.. But automatically tgat guy can only be 2nd pairing for nextc6vseasons because of $9.5..

If you want that RD you take to be tgecpp qb,it creates 2 problems:

. You belittle Jones who only gets demoted to just 2nd po qb ....and you also carry an expensive guy paid to be your 1D and your 1pp QB , as a sirtcofxwastrd overpay expense.

Thusxit makes only sense if you draft that RD as a 2RD replacement for Murphy to be a better offensive and defensive value than Murohy...not as a #1D replacement for a denoted and thus unhappy $9.5.

SOTHEBY'S $9.5 problem is a reason why tou shoukd fix other issues before loading hype on a RD as a #1D solution...you do not pick a RD who you think should be ypurx1D when you are already paying sineone else for 6 more seasons to fill that role.

You cannot allow such a conundrum to fester.

So fixing other areas of need with no impediment issues shoukd bectgecstrategy

This tge Demidov(hogh ceiling but anotger "smalk" guy up front in a sea of small guys ....=structural problem ..=draft for show but nit for dough(ie.matchup and pkayoff success)...vs. the solution at 2C for exactly these needs=Lindstrom.

Logocalky tge puck has got to be Lindstrom..

We cannotcafgirdcto go smalk Gain up front given the plethora of small guys we have and have coming already.
9.5 Seth Jones "looms" over nothing. If Levshunov or Yackemchuk or Parkeh is the guy you think will be a top pairing RHD....you take them and don't look back much less worry about Seth Jones or his cap hit. Whichever RHD you might pick is not going to be here next season. Maybe Levshunov comes the following season but even that may end up being 2 full seasons before any of them sniff pro hockey. Even if Levshunov comes after just one more year of college, he is on an ELC (aka league freaking minimim) for 3 more years. No one we take in THIS draft is sniffing top pairing in the NHL in a year or two and probably not 3. They are going to continue developing in whatever junior league they are currently in, transition to pro which may mean AHL time in all likelihood, and last have a learning curve at the NHL level. In 2 seasons after the cap goes up a good chunk the next 2 Summers, Jones will represent 10ish% of the cap with Vlassic already set at a rational number and 3ish of the other D spots filled with ELC guys or guys on their 2nd deal.

As to the size arguement....while I agree all things being equal you 100% go bigger. That said getting impact star players is WAY more important at the top of the draft. You can find guys like Bickell, Brouwer, Byfuglien, Ladd to give you the size to compliment your stars in the 2nd (or later) round, trades, or UFA. If you don't have a Kane, those type of guys with size make absolutely no difference in the end.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Are you determined to finish out your contract, despite the result of the draft?
- Certainly. I have an active agreement for one more year. After it's over, I'll think about it.

Read this new article out today..last line sticks out
I would think about it too, if Columbus drafted me instead of Chicago, I'd probably stay.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I mean, no offense, but BHFAN92 is 100% correct here. Lukashenko is a Russian puppet, but Belarus is NOTHING like Russia. Without Russian military support, that f***ing coward would be overthrown yesterday. Belarus and Ukrainian citizens are much more alike than Russian and Belarusian citizens. Lukashenko didn't even win the election legitimately. He quite literally rigged the election, when all of the polling showed him getting absolutely destroyed.

Do your homework.
Being afraid of the Russian government but not Belarus' is certainly a take when you're openly admitting and agreeing with people who are saying it's a puppet state.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
I still like the thought of a healthy Lindstrom as contrast to Bedard as the 2nd line center in a couple of years, but the health concerns and the Demidov hype train had me select Demidov....it's tough because the Hawks have so many needs and all these guys potentially fill a need, but if you are trying to get the most out of Bedard offensively, Demidov seems to be that guy.

Reactions: crazyhawk

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I still like the thought of a healthy Lindstrom as contrast to Bedard as the 2nd line center in a couple of years, but the health concerns and the Demidov hype train had me select Demidov....it's tough because the Hawks have so many needs and all these guys potentially fill a need, but if you are trying to get the most out of Bedard offensively, Demidov seems to be that guy.
I chose Lindstrom .. that of course if he is 100% healthy with little risk of an issue becoming worse as time goes on. I'd rather the big C than the smaller W who does happen to be of Russian heritage ... do we not all remember the odd but true aversion to players of Russian descent playing for Chicago .. with any real impact and longevity?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Imagine having 2, highly-skilled, 100pt forwards in our top 6 though

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Just curious, where would folks rank Demidov in last years draft? Ahead or behind Will Smith/Carlsson? Michkov? Leonard?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Leonard had a good season, but if we're comparing Demidov to last years' draft prospects (at the time of that draft), I'd have Demidov higher.

I'd have him higher than everyone but Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, and Michkov; though Michkov's contract complicates things compared to Demidov, who seems very open and willing to come over after one season.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
I read Michkov is the better shooter and Demidov the slicker passer......very comparable with Michkov getting the nod.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
two.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Praetorian Caps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad