2024 NHL Draft Thread (CBJ to pick 4th)

Predict CBJ's draft position

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
The guy Chicago could use in their prospect pipeline is Levshunov. A future top pair of Korchinski and Levshunov (assuming they pan out) plus Bedard? That would be a very different approach than Edmonton or Toronto when they found their generational talent centers.
Trying to think of teams in the current era that have won built around the D. There's been some great teams for sure, but I think Nashville was closest. But it's crazy to think that a team like Tampa could've had Jones and Hedman. Granted it all worked out for them, but how much better could they have been and what might've Jones career looked like had he developed in that offensive minded system vs the stacked D system that was smashville.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
The guy Chicago could use in their prospect pipeline is Levshunov. A future top pair of Korchinski and Levshunov (assuming they pan out) plus Bedard? That would be a very different approach than Edmonton or Toronto when they found their generational talent centers.
I was having this talk with a friend yesterday. Assuming that they hit their ceilings, I think you could make the argument that Levshunov would be more important to their team than Celebrini. Also, I’d expect the top pair to feature Vlassic rather than Korchinski.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Trying to think of teams in the current era that have won built around the D. There's been some great teams for sure, but I think Nashville was closest. But it's crazy to think that a team like Tampa could've had Jones and Hedman. Granted it all worked out for them, but how much better could they have been and what might've Jones career looked like had he developed in that offensive minded system vs the stacked D system that was smashville.

Chicago has drafted plenty of forwards - like Moore and Nazar besides Bedard - so I think they are trying to be balanced. They have also drafted D like Rinzel and Allan late in the first round.

Jones and Hedman would have been crazy together. Also it is weird to think that Drouin could win a Cup this year after being pretty much written off, while people look at the Jones contract and laugh.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I was surprised to look at his team page and see he was listed at 6'2". I thought he was smaller for some reason

He's not 6'2.

Still 6'0 per Russ with EP - he said he heard directly from Buium about that.

He doesn't looks small though. He's filled out okay and a very stable strong skater. Kind of a similar profile to Mateychuk but not as risky. Buium is more of a steady presence than Mateychuk.

Reactions: Blueston

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
I'm not a Blue Jackets fan but for some reason for a month, ive had the feeling that Columbus would end up with Lindstrom. I may be way off base but the two parties seem destine to be together

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not a Blue Jackets fan but for some reason for a month, ive had the feeling that Columbus would end up with Lindstrom. I may be way off base but the two parties seem destine to be together

Every team wants another power forward.

We'd have some good size in our forward group. On top of Lindstrom we've got Fantilli, and the whole Siberian Troika is beefy.

Reactions: LJ7

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Just read an in-depth article about Trevor Connelly on The Athletic written by Katie Strang (I like her work) and Corey Pronman.

Connely is clearly a very talented yet polarizing player and while I suspect he is not the top seven pick we will likely have I am doubtful he will drop to the second round when we pick again. I am sure the CBJ would avoid him like the plague, this organization cannot afford another PR hit after Babcock.

I feel bad for fans of organizations that will have the dilemma of whether to draft this kid. I found the following quote really enlightening and probably reflects the way I feel.

“I believe in a path to redemption but it’s not my job to provide it,” said one scouting director.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Just read an in-depth article about Trevor Connelly on The Athletic written by Katie Strang (I like her work) and Corey Pronman.

Connely is clearly a very talented yet polarizing player and while I suspect he is not the top seven pick we will likely have I am doubtful he will drop to the second round when we pick again. I am sure the CBJ would avoid him like the plague, this organization cannot afford another PR hit after Babcock.

I feel bad for fans of organizations that will have the dilemma of whether to draft this kid. I found the following quote really enlightening and probably reflects the way I feel.

“I believe in a path to redemption but it’s not my job to provide it,” said one scouting director.

That's a pretty clear Do Not Draft.

I'm fine with kids making mistakes but this is a lot like the Miller situation in that there is a years long pattern of being an abusive person. They've also got the Miller family PR strategy of trying to portray the problem as a one time mistake.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
That's a pretty clear Do Not Draft.

I'm fine with kids making mistakes but this is a lot like the Miller situation in that there is a years long pattern of being an abusive person. They've also got the Miller family PR strategy of trying to portray the problem as a one time mistake.
Yep. Feels different from the Logan Mailloux situation, too. That was pretty clearly a kid who made a stupid mistake and got caught, faced the conesquences, and is moving on. This is a Miller situation. Let another org who doesn't have rexent severe PR problems take this one.

Reactions: majormajor

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
As of right now, assuming that Columbus drafts between #2 and #7, my preference is for them to take Berkly Catton. The playmaking, offensive potential and defensive game are all very appealing. I think he would complement Fantilli really well.

Reactions: Napoli and Neill99

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I posted this on Indy's post on capfriendly this morning:

Then my thoughts turn to the top-6 pick (as of right now, it cannot be worse). If first overall, obviously Celebrini starts in Columbus. If one of the other top juniors players (Lindstrom, Catton, Dickinson), I think they probably get sent back to junior for another year. Silayev or Demidov the decision is made for you since they're both under contract in Russia, and Helenius probably stays in Liiga another year. Then there's the college guys. If it's Levshunov or Buium, do they go back to MSU/Denver or go pro? Probably not quite ready for the NHL, so that would mean Cleveland--imagine Mateychuk and Levshunov on a pairing together. Eiserman just doesn't feel like a Columbus pick, but who knows with a new GM and if the scouting/front office staff leave, and I highly doubt they do more than give Parekh a cursory look since his skillset is pretty well represented in the org already.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
imo: buium does another year in college, levshunov goes right to the AHL and plays big minutes.

right now, i'm partial to levshunov + lindstrom + parekh as my top group (aside from celebrini, obviously). given how well boqvist has played lately with werenski, i bet parekh could fit pretty well in that spot long-term. his statistical profile is elite.

Reactions: Indy18

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Not related this or any other situation directly but I find this quote humorous.

If you aren't willing to take a step forward and attach your name and reputation to it in order to assist in the "path to redemption" then you don't really believe in it.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
You make a good point, what we might have thought as a Columbus pick is irrelevant with a new GM coming in

Though I imagine the scouting staff is being left alone and that will change in the off-season, so this might be the last draft where what we think of as a Columbus pick actually applies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I gave another viewing to the D. It does seem to be a sterling class for blueliners. Really the only guy who doesn't look impressive to me is Parekh, who might still follow a Brandt Clarke type of path, or maybe Boqvist. He has an elite shot, he might make a better winger. Zero defensive ability.

After watching all of them and coming back to Sam Dickinson it made me realize how elite his skating is. Dickinson can escape pressure with ease, very soft touch on his passes as well. He doesn't play with any bight or edge to his game. Seems to be a Hanifin type. And there's some ambiguity whether he'll be this year's Hanifin (#1D) or more the middle pair version. He's a lock for top 4D though, could play in the NHL maybe as soon as next year.

Buium I wrote about here recently, he's the most solid all aspects D. I like to compare him to Mateychuk but without so much risk. Very good decision maker at both ends. His scoring totals are astonishing too, draft eligible D shouldn't be able to do that in college.

Carter Yakemchuk is a lot of fun, seems like he might have some big offensive upside. He reminds me of Brent Burns a bit. Big frame. Not as good a skater actually, but very good handling and an elite shot. The WHL is too easy for him.

My last viewing of Levshunov wasn't as impressive. He just didn't do much and his decision making looked average. He hasn't looked like a top 5 guy to me in either of the games I watched.

I have no new thoughts on Silayev. Somewhere between Adam Pelech and Tyler Myers.

Reactions: Monk

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I gave another viewing to the D. It does seem to be a sterling class for blueliners. Really the only guy who doesn't look impressive to me is Parekh, who might still follow a Brandt Clarke type of path, or maybe Boqvist. He has an elite shot, he might make a better winger. Zero defensive ability.

After watching all of them and coming back to Sam Dickinson it made me realize how elite his skating is. Dickinson can escape pressure with ease, very soft touch on his passes as well. He doesn't play with any bight or edge to his game. Seems to be a Hanifin type. And there's some ambiguity whether he'll be this year's Hanifin (#1D) or more the middle pair version. He's a lock for top 4D though, could play in the NHL maybe as soon as next year.

Buium I wrote about here recently, he's the most solid all aspects D. I like to compare him to Mateychuk but without so much risk. Very good decision maker at both ends. His scoring totals are astonishing too, draft eligible D shouldn't be able to do that in college.

Carter Yakemchuk is a lot of fun, seems like he might have some big offensive upside. He reminds me of Brent Burns a bit. Big frame. Not as good a skater actually, but very good handling and an elite shot. The WHL is too easy for him.

My last viewing of Levshunov wasn't as impressive. He just didn't do much and his decision making looked average. He hasn't looked like a top 5 guy to me in either of the games I watched.

I have no new thoughts on Silayev. Somewhere between Adam Pelech and Tyler Myers.
I havent watched a ton of Dickenson but how is Bouwmeester for a comparable?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I havent watched a ton of Dickenson but how is Bouwmeester for a comparable?

I like it. I seem to remember JayBo having elite speed, not just elite skating. Dickinson is not quite that fast but nonetheless fast enough to get out of trouble.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
As of right now, assuming that Columbus drafts between #2 and #7, my preference is for them to take Berkly Catton. The playmaking, offensive potential and defensive game are all very appealing. I think he would complement Fantilli really well.
Totally agreed. I think he's the perfect compliment center to Fantilli. The passes that guy makes are unfair at times, sublime.

Reactions: Aaaarrgghh

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
It seems that Levshunov's stock has been rising lately, so maybe he's been better since you last viewed him?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It seems that Levshunov's stock has been rising lately, so maybe he's been better since you last viewed him?

No it was recent. Could just be game to game variation. I don't like to get negative on a player like this who is playing okay but not catching my eye, not until I see a lot more. It's early.

My first game watching Mintyukov I didn't see anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad