NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
As much as I want Parekh, I'll settle for Demidov. But only if he ends up as a stud and we can call him Demigod.
Another small soft skill winger. Easiest postion to fill I dont want that either. This team has plenty of that. They need hard heavy hockey players that can play meaningfull minutes.

RD is the hardest position to fill in hockey, there are three really talented players in this draft that play that position. I hope they get one of them.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Id be so disappointed if Dickinson is who they end up with. Would be the worst case scenario in my opinion. 30th is also likely a worst case scenario for Bostons pick too. I just dont see them winning anything significant. I think this is about as bad a situations as it can be for Ottawa.

Dickinson is a LD the strongest position of organizational strength and the lowest upside of anyone in the top 11.
You have strong opinions Bert and you are not afraid to bash picks when you dislike them. You may not like him .. but many others do including me. I will go with my opinion over yours ; because I have put in the viewings and trust the consistency of what I see. and if you have put in the work you should go with yours over mine From what I have seen and value , you are way underselling him imo. No need to argue about it just .. I accept you have a different opinion that I don't agree with .. Sometimes you'll be right and sometimes I will. Sometimes we'll agree and both be wrong. Its the nature of draft prospects. I am not worried as much as others on where they sit now wrt current org strength as this is another way of saying draft for need. I am picking Dickinson over others because I think he is the best total package for a top 4 D that has less weak points and risk than others. He can play the position better than most as a 2 way D. Offensively sure there are higher upside picks. You have voiced your dislike for him many times ,, it is known you don't like him. We have both been right and both been wrong ... no need to hammer the table for or against anyone.

Note that this was the 5th pick in a mock draft that I had no control over who went ahead and who was available. Same goes for the Elick pick and the 2nd round pick.
And while I like Dickinson there are others I like as well for different reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: bert

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Another small soft skill winger. Easiest postion to fill I dont want that either. This team has plenty of that. They need hard heavy hockey players that can play meaningfull minutes.

RD is the hardest position to fill in hockey, there are three really talented players in this draft that play that position. I hope they get one of them.
Get them all! Lol.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I dont see it. Not great in transition and pushing the puck up the ice. Notable weakness from every scout thats watched him. Not a high compete level either. Solid Jr on a really good team, easy position to fill as a LD. I want a player that is going to be an impact player.

I think he is a middle pair defender reliable like a Hanifin. Not a bad player but I am hoping for something more.

I think Hanifin would be his absolute best case scenario, but I also think Hanifin is quite clearly a top pairing quality D.

I see a 6'3, two-way D that is a fantastic skater and has enough skill and shooting ability to put up 30-50P a year while providing quality defense.

I'll agree to disagree with you on his transitional ability, but I do agree with the concerns about his pasiveness/compete. Would like to see him become more aggressive in the defensive end.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

We don't have any small skill winger? Unless you mean Giroux.

What we don't have much of is high end offensive skill. Stutzle that's it. Last year the biggest reason we went on a run was because Stutzle did. This year Stutzle didn't and there has been no run.

We need hard heavy hockey players for sure. but it's much easier to get that than elite offensive skill that can create space.

You get the Kucherovs, Mackinnions, Pastranaks etc when you have the best chacne to and then worry about surrounding them with the muscle.

Demidov has a decent chance of being better than Celebrini.

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
Was curious to see if anyone had an opinion on Cole Beaudoin.
Local kid playing for Barrie Colts. Listed at 6'2" & 210lbs and listed as a Centre.

Currently just shy of a PPG player for Barrie (62pts in 67games).
I am seeing him ranked late in the first round to early in the 2nd round.

This would put him right in our range with the BOS pick in the first round or our early 2nd round pick.
Assuming we take a RD with our first pick, would he be in consideration with one of the other 2 picks?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
We don't have any small skill winger? Unless you mean Giroux.

What we don't have much of is high end offensive skill. Stutzle that's it. Last year the biggest reason we went on a run was because Stutzle did. This year Stutzle didn't and there has been no run.

We need hard heavy hockey players for sure. but it's much easier to get that than elite offensive skill that can create space.

You get the Kucherovs, Mackinnions, Pastranaks etc when you have the best chacne to and then worry about surrounding them with the muscle.

Demidov has a decent chance of being better than Celebrini.
Do not agree, they are not common at all not the ones that can play in scoring postions. But we know how you feel about this type of player.

Skill wingers are the easiest position to fill in hockey. you can get them in any free agency or teams are looking for something else in their place because they know they are replaceable. Dime a dozen type of player.

There's one Kucherov in the league that produces and controls the play like him. I dont want to bet on Demidov being a generational talent, when its far more likely he ends up closer to a Dadonov, Duclair, Gusev etc. theres a reason Michkov dropped to 7th and it wasnt just politics.

I'll be willing to bet a D man is the best player from this draft. Even better than Celebrini. I dont buy that Demidov will be close to the all around impact Celebrini is he is a two way beast with massive leadership ability and he can score.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Demidov is no brainer if available. Russians are way more nasty then Canadians. The time of the Soviet union, when only party elite could afford ice time for their kids is long gone. People still live in the past and use a cliché in Canada. Hockey players in Russia are now from low places and even gopniks with an attitude. Demidov is probably the best player in the draft by far, born in the working class and from an impoverished town near Moscow.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Do not agree, they are not common at all not the ones that can play in scoring postions. But we know how you feel about this type of player.

Skill wingers are the easiest position to fill in hockey. you can get them in any free agency or teams are looking for something else in their place because they know they are replaceable. Dime a dozen type of player.

There's one Kucherov in the league that produces and controls the play like him. I dont want to bet on Demidov being a generational talent, when its far more likely he ends up closer to a Dadonov, Duclair, Gusev etc. theres a reason Michkov dropped to 7th and it wasnt just politics.

I'll be willing to bet a D man is the best player from this draft. Even better than Celebrini. I dont buy that Demidov will be close to the all around impact Celebrini is he is a two way beast with massive leadership ability and he can score.

All I'm saying is that yes we need tough all situations d but to get to the next level we also need a Kaprizov, Draisaitl, Panarin, Point, Rantanen, Nylander, Pettersson, Reinhart, Forsberg, Aho, Marner, Hughes, Stutzle, Stamkos, Barkov etc How many of these guys are available every FA?

We're not trying to get the next Dadonov or Duclair and it doesn't have to be Kucherov either. But we clearly need elite offensive talent and hockey IQ. And 5 ft 10 or 6 ft 5, winger or center, doesn't really matter as long as they drive offense and play with passion.

Demidov has pretty elite potential, hockey IQ, skill, skating, shooting, passing, hands. Might even be better than Stutzle.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
All I'm saying is that yes we need tough all situations d but to get to the next level we also need a Kaprizov, Draisaitl, Panarin, Point, Rantanen, Nylander, Pettersson, Reinhart, Forsberg, Aho, Marner, Hughes, Stutzle, Stamkos, Barkov etc How many of these guys are available every FA?

We're not trying to get the next Dadonov or Duclair and it doesn't have to be Kucherov either. But we clearly need elite offensive talent and hockey IQ. And 5 ft 10 or 6 ft 5, winger or center, doesn't really matter as long as they drive offense and play with passion.

Demidov has pretty elite potential, hockey IQ, skill, skating, shooting, passing, hands. Might even be better than Stutzle.
This team doesn't need offensive skill they have those types of players in those positions. They need two way players. It's beyond obvious. They need minute munching d men that can be plus positive. There's only one puck. They need guys that can win battles and retain it and control the play and be on the right side of it. Most of those players you just listed play hard hockey. Demidov is 5'10 160. He isn't that type of player. Frankly the sens don't need another Stutzle. One is plenty. They have their top 2 centers and they have 2 elite wingers. There's only so much money to go around. Dorion built the team you want it doesn't work. Small skill guys don't win playoff games you can have one or two sure and the sens already have that and they can't even get into the playoffs.

I am not worried that management doesn't know this but the internet hockey community seems to think skill only. Look at how the leafs are built it doesn't work.

This team needs an elite d man badly. Specifically a righty. They are gonna pick around 7th. Hopefully one is still there.

Last edited:

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
So where is the big tier drop off this year?

I love watching our team win , but this year I want a player, not too far off the big club, RHD that is also BPA would be a cherry.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
So where is the big tier drop off this year?

I love watching our team win , but this year I want a player, not too far off the big club, RHD that is also BPA would be a cherry.
Around 11 in my opinion is when there's another tier. I have seen people say 9 and for Ottawa that might be right because by then all the elite d men will be gone and players like Catton, Eiserman and Helenius will be what's left. Players that for Ottawa likely won't move the needle. But I think we're safe to say Ottawa will be fine to pick before that happens.

I don't think there's any chance they get Celebrini or Lindstrom but outside of those 2 guys anyone could fall to them at 7.

Last edited:
Reactions: Butchy Dakkar

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Around 11 in my opinion is when there's another tier. I have seen people say 9 and for Ottawa that might be right because by then all the elite d men will be gone and players like Catton, Eiserman and Helenius will be what's left. Players that for Ottawa likely won't move the needle. But I think we're safe to say Ottawa will be fine to pick before that happens.

I don't think there's any chance they get Celebrini or Lindstrom but outside of those 2 guys anyone could fall to them at 7.
It’s hard to really knock any of these d men. They all look promising. Dickinson has his weaknesses but he may also turn out to be the safest guy of the bunch. And that may not be sexy but it may also be exactly what we need for the second pair long term.

I think lindstrom has a chance of falling here.

Celebrini 1. Demidov hype is pushing him and some of these teams maybe just say we’re taking a d man

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020

Makes me feel a little better about recent winning lol

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If the Sens end up drafting 7th the choice could come down to which RD do they want between Parekh RD or Yakemchuk RD given Levshunov RD should already be gone. Parekh is the same kind of defencemen as Chabot, Sanderson, Chychrun & Brannstrom (who I doubt is on this team next season), more of the same. Yakemchuk on the other hand is 6'3", 194 lbs & is a much bigger, tougher, mobile right shot defenceman who can carry the puck & has offensive potential with 30 goals & 71 pts for the Calgary Hitman so far this season & 120 PMs. I imagine they will try & tone that down when he hits the NHL. IMO the change the Sens need is on defence with a couple of big tough D who are mobile & can play big minutes especially on the PK & both Kleven LD & Yakemchuk RD IMO can change the dynamic on defence for Ott. Kleven should be almost NHL ready for next season & Yakemchuk might not be that far behind already.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Denver vs UMass 2pm today. Good time to check out Zeev Buium a terrific freshman D in a one game do or die to move on.

BU plays RIT at 5pm. If you haven't watched 17 y/o freshman Celebrini 3rd in the NCAA in pts/g ; 2nd on NCAA goals/g; Check him out

Saginaw plays at 7pm as the OHL playoffs get underway. Watch Zayne Parekh.. 33g, 96 pts +39 in the regular season.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Think he’s in a higher tier pre-draft, think he ends up similar/slightly better in the NHL.
He's going to be a much better two way player, not sure if he has the elite offense. I am of the opinion even if Ottawa had 1st OA there would have to be a healthy discussion between Celebrini and Levshunov.

Unbelievable Levshunov stat this year.

Led his team in scoring as a freshman. When he was on the ice, Michigan State outscored opponents 63-16 in all situations. When he was off the ice 77-92. So basically they are unstoppable with him and bad without.

Denver vs UMass 2pm today. Good time to check out Zeev Buium a terrific freshman D in a one game do or die to move on.

BU plays RIT at 5pm. If you haven't watched 17 y/o freshman Celebrini 3rd in the NCAA in pts/g ; 2nd on NCAA goals/g; Check him out

Saginaw plays at 7pm as the OHL playoffs get underway. Watch Zayne Parekh.. 33g, 96 pts +39 in the regular season.
Great day to watch the draft eligible players for sure.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
This team doesn't need offensive skill they have those types of players in those positions. They need two way players. It's beyond obvious. They need minute munching d men that can be plus positive. There's only one puck. They need guys that can win battles and retain it and control the play and be on the right side of it. Most of those players you just listed play hard hockey. Demidov is 5'10 160. He isn't that type of player. Frankly the sens don't need another Stutzle. One is plenty. They have their top 2 centers and they have 2 elite wingers. There's only so much money to go around. Dorion built the team you want it doesn't work. Small skill guys don't win playoff games you can have one or two sure and the sens already have that and they can't even get into the playoffs.

I am not worried that management doesn't know this but the internet hockey community seems to think skill only. Look at how the leafs are built it doesn't work.

This team needs an elite d man badly. Specifically a righty. They are gonna pick around 7th. Hopefully one is still there.

The last time we were good you think it was because of Phillips or Alfredsson, Spezza, Heatley? Because of Methot or Karlsson and Stone? We have good offensive depth but not top end. Two elite wingers? where?

Small skill guys thrive every playoffs. Marchessault just won the Smythe, before it was Makar, Kucherov and Kane. Our best playoff performers were Karlsson and Alfredsson. For some reason you think that small skill guys can't play two way or hard or with passion or win pucks. clearly isn't true

oh yea i've been making fun of dorion and calling him an idiot for the last 6 years because he built the team i wanted.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If the Sens end up drafting 7th the choice could come down to which RD do they want between Parekh RD or Yakemchuk RD given Levshunov RD should already be gone. Parekh is the same kind of defencemen as Chabot, Sanderson, Chychrun & Brannstrom (who I doubt is on this team next season), more of the same. Yakemchuk on the other hand is 6'3", 194 lbs & is a much bigger, tougher, mobile right shot defenceman who can carry the puck & has offensive potential with 30 goals & 71 pts for the Calgary Hitman so far this season & 120 PMs. I imagine they will try & tone that down when he hits the NHL. IMO the change the Sens need is on defence with a couple of big tough D who are mobile & can play big minutes especially on the PK & both Kleven LD & Yakemchuk RD IMO can change the dynamic on defence for Ott. Kleven should be almost NHL ready for next season & Yakemchuk might not be that far behind already.

I think Parehk is a tier above all those guys offensively and the ability to control the play. As a prospect he's very similar level to Sanderson. Clearly not as good as him defensively. If any of the RD are there when Ottawa picks at 7 they should take one.

The last time we were good you think it was because of Phillips or Alfredsson, Spezza, Heatley? Because of Methot or Karlsson and Stone? We have good offensive depth but not top end. Two elite wingers? where?

Small skill guys thrive every playoffs. Marchessault just won the Smythe, before it was Makar, Kucherov and Kane. Our best playoff performers were Karlsson and Alfredsson. For some reason you think that small skill guys can't play two way or hard or with passion or win pucks. clearly isn't true

oh yea i've been making fun of dorion and calling him an idiot for the last 6 years because he built the team i wanted.
Tkachuk and Batherson. Very few small skill players are elite in the playoffs and frankly Marchessault road shot gun with two very heavy physical forwards making room for him. How many do you think this team needs they have Stutzle. They dont have the hard heavy guys outside of Tkachuk. Who your opinion on is frankly worthless. Blind hate because you dont understand the impact of physicality. Which is on display again in this exact post I am quoting.

Kucherov, Makar and Kane 3 hall of famers the best american ever, the best d man since bobby orr and debatably the best russian to ever play in the NHL. Why you think these types of players are who the sens are going to get picking 7th is beyond me.

Dorion built a team with small skiill guys, went after a player in Debrincat who was completely redundant with the team make up. Had to have guys like Giroux on the second PP. This team doesnt need small skill. They are easy to play against, you wont ever acknowledge this because you think hall of fame skill players are just readily available. But thats not how to actually build a team. Those players dont grow on trees. Heavy hockey wins. Look at Vegas's make up. Thats the blue print.

Last edited:
Reactions: LiseL and Alex1234

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I think Parehk is a tier above all those guys offensively and the ability to control the play. As a prospect he's very similar level to Sanderson. Clearly not as good as him defensively. If any of the RD are there when Ottawa picks at 7 they should take one.

Tkachuk and Batherson. Very few small skill players are elite in the playoffs and frankly Marchessault road shot gun with two very heavy physical forwards making room for him. How many do you think this team needs they have Stutzle. They dont have the hard heavy guys outside of Tkachuk. Who your opinion on is frankly worthless. Blind hate because you dont understand the impact of physicality. Which is on display again in this exact post I am quoting.

Kucherov, Makar and Kane 3 hall of famers the best american ever, the best d man since bobby orr and debatably the best russian to ever play in the NHL. Why you think these types of players are who the sens are going to get picking 7th is beyond me.

Elite players are the ones who consistently lead their team as the best players. So if Brady and Drake are elite they better start showing it fast. Sanderson is elite, Stutzle last year was elite, Karlsson and Stone were elite, Alfredsson was elite. Brady and Drake don't belong in that tier yet.

And Demidov has star potential that is the point. He has franchise forward potential. You need at least 2 of these guys. I mean if Stutzle gets injured what do you think happens to the team? they are utterly f***ed lol.

Brady and Drake aren't carrying any offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad