2024 NHL Draft: Play Like a Sieve So We Can Draft Zeev

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Draft order is set by RS finish (1-16) and playoff results (17-32). This basic order is the same for all 7 rounds.

The draft lottery only impacts positioning of first round.
Yes but then the playoff results, it’s by standings except last 4 teams alive get the last for picks. So conference final losers get picks 29-30 and Stanley cup finalists get 31-32. So even if Vegas and Tampa advance in R1 but lose in R2, their pick won’t change. Right?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Yes but then the playoff results, it’s by standings except last 4 teams alive get the last for picks. So conference final losers get picks 29-30 and Stanley cup finalists get 31-32. So even if Vegas and Tampa advance in R1 but lose in R2, their pick won’t change. Right?
Not necessarily. Division leaders picks also nominally have draft positions.

Full order is not known until playoffs done (or peers in standings).

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
So many people mocking Celebrini and Yakemchuk to the Sharks… I know I’m only preparing myself to get totally heartbroken when it’s Dickinson and Greentree, but imagine a core like this:

Eklund-Celebrini-Musty
XXX-Smith-Zetterlund
Bystedt-Edstrom-Graf

Mukhamadullin-Hensler
XXX-Yakemchuk
Thrun-XXX

Tasty.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
So many people mocking Celebrini and Yakemchuk to the Sharks… I know I’m only preparing myself to get totally heartbroken when it’s Dickinson and Greentree, but imagine a core like this:

Eklund-Celebrini-Musty
XXX-Smith-Zetterlund
Bystedt-Edstrom-Graf

Mukhamadullin-Hensler
XXX-Yakemchuk
Thrun-XXX

Tasty.
Who or where did hensler come from.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Who will be our 2nd overall pick? Lol
Yup. All prognostication because there’s a whole U18 + full season left to play for the 2025 class, but this whole exercise is pure conjecture so I do what I want. I like Hensler a lot and he would be the perfect complement to Mukhamadullin and Yakemchuk in theory.

Last edited:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Yup. All prognostication because there’s a whole U18 + full season left to play for the 2025 class, but this whole excessive is pure conjecture so I do what I want. I like Hensler a lot and he would be the perfect complement to Mukhamadullin and Yakemchuk in theory.
Hensler is our 1st overall, who will be our 2nd overall is what I mean.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Every time I watch the NTDP I come away thinking 1) I really don’t want to draft Cole Eiserman and 2) I wouldn’t mind at all grabbing the whole U18 top pairing in the second round this year, EJ Emery at 33 and Cole Hutson at 42. They could be a really good even strength NHL bottom pairing with Emery eating tons of PK minutes and Hutson running a PP.

I have a hot take which is that Eiserman is going to fall into the late teens.

GRANdSharks

Mar 14, 2018
Ik he is probably not the most exciting pick but I'd love for the sharks to grab sennecke at 14, assuming guys like parekh or buium are off the board. I'm a little biased because I live in Oshawa and it would be cool to have a sharks prospect to follow in the area, but watching him I feel like he has another gear to his game and could be a really big steal in the middle first. Kinda like how I felt about musty last year

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Every time I watch the NTDP I come away thinking 1) I really don’t want to draft Cole Eiserman and 2) I wouldn’t mind at all grabbing the whole U18 top pairing in the second round this year, EJ Emery at 33 and Cole Hutson at 42. They could be a really good even strength NHL bottom pairing with Emery eating tons of PK minutes and Hutson running a PP.

Is Eiserman like a Heatley clone? I don’t hate getting a pure sniper but people do seem really down on him.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007

I think Eiserman in the late teens is becoming lukewarm as a take. I'm definitely hopeful for Emery, ambivalent about the other Hudson.

I'm fully with you on Hensler just from what I know so far. Hopefully we're still picking top 2 and have a shot at him.
Ik he is probably not the most exciting pick but I'd love for the sharks to grab sennecke at 14, assuming guys like parekh or buium are off the board. I'm a little biased because I live in Oshawa and it would be cool to have a sharks prospect to follow in the area, but watching him I feel like he has another gear to his game and could be a really big steal in the middle first. Kinda like how I felt about musty last year
Sennecke is a big riser, and is having a big playoffs, and is big and fast, so I definitely think he will be in play for us. I saw a mock with Chernyshov and I wouldn't be too surprised at that either at 14.

Yak is the dream but I just don't think he's gonna fall to 14 anymore. Who knows.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Is Eiserman like a Heatley clone? I don’t hate getting a pure sniper but people do seem really down on him.
Hmm, I saw a slower prime Mike Hoffman as a comparable that I like the most.

Eiserman can absolutely put the puck in the net at the junior level. But I’m not convinced he even has as high upside as his stats would suggest. Right now he feels like a player who was told he needs to “use his teammates more” and has no idea how to do that. It doesn’t help that he’s twice as talented as his current linemates. I hope he goes off in the U18, not least because I want the US to win the tourney, but I have my doubts. He should dominate. We’ll see.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Hmm, I saw a slower prime Mike Hoffman as a comparable that I like the most.

Eiserman can absolutely put the puck in the net at the junior level. But I’m not convinced he even has as high upside as his stats would suggest. Right now he feels like a player who was told he needs to “use his teammates more” and has no idea how to do that. It doesn’t help that he’s twice as talented as his current linemates. I hope he goes off in the U18, not least because I want the US to win the tourney, but I have my doubts. He should dominate. We’ll see.
Even if he's Heatley I'm not sure I'd want him. Maybe as a trade piece. Dany F***ing Heatley was not a core piece of a winner.

I'm also down on Eiserman like you are. DND, bad vibes.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
So I finally found a stylistic player comp for Levshunov and inadvertently discovered why I might be a little irrationally high on him: he reminds me of a young Charlie McAvoy, who is my favorite defenseman in the whole league.

I remember watching McAvoy at the ‘97 birth-year’s U17 event and thinking, “This guy is supposed to be a top-10 pick next year? Really?”. He was a little clunky and uncoordinated and made some really dumb defensive plays. Then he went to the NCAA, had a huge year, and developed a ton from there. Even now, he can be a little inconsistent game to game but when it matters he turns it on.

Upside: bigger McAvoy but with less open-ice hitting
Downside: Bogosian

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
This draft is exciting. There’s a surprisingly decent top 15, although it’s damn near all boom or bust guys.

Thankfully, We have a top 3 pick, #14, two picks in the first 10 of the second round, and VGK first next year. Whole lotta ammo to move up. Could walk away with a potential 1C like Celebrini and a potential 1D if Grier trades up.

Worst case scenario, we end up with a guy like Buium, Catton, and two early 2nd rounders. These should all be guys above everyone in our prospect pool besides Smith and Eklund and with our 1st probably, possibly better than Eklund.

Things are finally looking up after a bleak 3-4 years. Grier has done a great job at putting us in a place to start building up again.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
There's a significant amount of groupthink in the pre-lottery mock draft thread, but most of them have us walking away at 14 (edited) with Yakemchuk, Sennecke, Chernyshov, Jiricek, or MBN. That's probably the order I'd personally want them in, although maybe Chernyshov is a bit of a wildcard that could be interesting.

Worst case, MBN as Smith's Leonard could be exciting... he's a solid all-rounder but maybe no "pop." Maybe a better Kunin. Jiricek is a risk and a wildcard.

Last edited:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
There's a significant amount of groupthink in the pre-lottery mock draft thread, but most of them have us walking away with Yakemchuk, Sennecke, Chernyshov, Jiricek, or MBN. That's probably the order I'd personally want them in, although maybe Chernyshov is a bit of a wildcard that could be interesting.

Worst case, MBN as Smith's Leonard could be exciting... he's a solid all-rounder but maybe no "pop." Maybe a better Kunin. Jiricek is a risk and a wildcard.
So most are not predicting us to win the lottery

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
OK, barring lottery changes and compensatory picks, the Sharks have the following picks:

1 (own), 14 (PIT)
33 (own), 42 (NJ)
TB 3rd round pick (position to be determined by playoffs)
VGK 4th round pick
130 (ish - Chicago pick), 142 (PIT)
(no 6th round pick)
193 (own 7th)
Philadelphia has compensatory pick at #51. (Additional compensatory picks possible after 6/1 signing deadline if 1st rounders not signed.)

* = current TB/VGK positions (which could change based on playoff results). Before lottery results.

1, 14
33, 42
85*
116*
131, 143
No 6th round pick

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
There's a significant amount of groupthink in the pre-lottery mock draft thread, but most of them have us walking away at 14 (edited) with Yakemchuk, Sennecke, Chernyshov, Jiricek, or MBN. That's probably the order I'd personally want them in, although maybe Chernyshov is a bit of a wildcard that could be interesting.

MBN erasure...

I'm not sure I'm seeing the groupthink, although I was skimming through that thread.

I think the fact that Catton and/or Yakemchuk are falling to our pick in most outcomes is a massive win scenario. Catton is a top five player for me in this class, and the type of player Yakemchuk is if he hits are invaluable and untradable assets.

The 18s will teach us a lot, especially WRT the Finnish and Swedish players.

I've been trying to consume as much content as I can on the players for that range.

I watched PG vs Kelowna and Parascak caught my eye battling against Iginla. He was doing it all, ES/PP/PK. Too soon for that range.

I watched London play and Dickinson just didn't look like a very smart player. Wonderful breakout pass, but he feels like Juolevi-bait inflated by a superteam. He was just sloppy in all three zones.

Watching Dickinson and then going back to Levshunov was cataclysmic. Different tiers of players.

(On an aside Jacob Julien was extremely impressive and our boy Kasper Halttunen was showing a lot more dimensions to his game than I anticipated. He's more than a floating big shot.)

Only one viewing of Parekh, but I wasn't overly moved. I don't thinks someone like Adam Jiříček is all that far away in terms of talent. Parekh is a better shooter, Jiříček is bigger and more imaginative in the offensive zone.

Neither are in that group with Levshunov and Buium.

Sacha Boisvert is the anti-Greentree.

Excited to watch all of the players floating within that top ~65 range that will be with the 18s. Especially guys like Eiserman, Connelly, Greentree, Hage, Väisänen, Hemming, Elick, Kiviharju, Freij, Wallenius, Eliasson etc

And the 2025 guys like Frondell, Martone, Hensler, Wozniak, Schaefer, McQueen

Final stretch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad