GDT: 2024 NHL Draft (June 28 - June 29, Las Vegas Sphere)

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
given all the hype around Stian Solberg, i expect him go top 20 now. Pronman has actually been spot on in identifying the late risers. That could be TWO Norwegians before a Swede is drafted!

I also like Yegor Surin again, his profile is looking quite nice.

Reactions: Marshall and usiel

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Damn Boston how do you get that many to many men on the ice calls in the playoffs

*meant for the playoffs thread

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I recommend The Athletic's Friday NHL podcast. If only because it has featured Chris Peters telling Corey Pronman to shut up in the current episode and the episode previous.
Thought the Kyrou comparison for Hage was interesting. Can see why some scouts may have concern about his off puck intensity (certainly for a center) as a contrast to his on puck interest. But he's so silky on the puck that I wouldn't hold it against him too much. You'd think it's something he'll improve as he goes up levels and grasps that he has to tighten up his overall game to be effective. It is a knock but once in that late teens range pretty well everyone has a knock. I'm inclined to bet on his skill level vs. any alternatives. MBN and Solberg may be a bit safer but after that...

Pre-combine it seems like Sennecke, MBN and Solberg are clear late risers and if anyone is likely to slide it's probably Helenius and Eiserman.

Reactions: Marshall

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Haven’t thought too much on pick 52 but Stiga, Freij, Hutson would be nice picks. All I know is someone will be falling to us. Just hope we don’t blow it and draft another Kody Clark

I think to last year getting Cristall in the 2nd. Heidt and Sawchyn were both available as late 2nds too last year, both were widely mocked as late 1s.

Reactions: jtree

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

Caps add Brandsegg-Nygard and Shuravin, which would be pretty solid. Stiga, Hutson or Freij with the VGK 2nd would have also been good picks.
Would prefer Stiga who in that mock goes right after the caps pick. Not really a fan of Nygard feels like low ceiling RW. Would have probably be one of Emery/Connolly/Surin.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Helenius at three is a choice.

Caps currently slated to have picks 17/52/82/83/90/114/146/178.

With three 3's you wonder if they won't move up as per usual. Not sure there's an obvious early second slide candidate this year, though. Parascak? Basha? This hasn't been all that heralded a class but five picks in the top 90 could have the makings of a next wave. Next year's slate is probably better suited for that if I had to bet but if they do hold on to most of these picks they'd suddenly have considerable organizational depth.

With Nygard there's such fast-track ability and not negligible upside. He's already used to playing against men. A year in the SHL and he's probably ready for a bottom six role. For a team like the Caps that's got to be appealing and he's got a heavy shot to be another really tough winger to play against with lineup versatility. His play at the Worlds probably sees him go ahead of them you'd think. But then I thought it was a lock Leonard would be off the board last year so who knows? There's a lot less risk compared to Emery/Connolly/Surin (each for different reasons). He's a safer pick than Eiserman even on a more fundamental level and quite arguably one of the very best two-way forwards in this draft.

Reactions: jtree and Marshall

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

Helenius at three is a choice.

Caps currently slated to have picks 17/52/82/83/90/114/146/178.

With three 3's you wonder if they won't move up as per usual. Not sure there's an obvious early second slide candidate this year, though. Parascak? Basha? This hasn't been all that heralded a class but five picks in the top 90 could have the makings of a next wave. Next year's slate is probably better suited for that if I had to bet but if they do hold on to most of these picks they'd suddenly have considerable organizational depth.

With Nygard there's such fast-track ability and not negligible upside. He's already used to playing against men. A year in the SHL and he's probably ready for a bottom six role. For a team like the Caps that's got to be appealing and he's got a heavy shot to be another really tough winger to play against with lineup versatility. His play at the Worlds probably sees him go ahead of them you'd think. But then I thought it was a lock Leonard would be off the board last year so who knows? There's a lot less risk compared to Emery/Connolly/Surin (each for different reasons). He's a safer pick than Eiserman even on a more fundamental level and quite arguably one of the very best two-way forwards in this draft.
Bolded I'm a gambling man :D.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
MBN will basically plug into a 4th line immediately (1 year away even) and then work his way up and expand his game as he plays with better players.

His defensive game will get him to the NHL right away. I think of Arturri Lehkkonen there. Established himself with his defense but is much more than that. You might just get a Landeskog or Shane Doan-esque player with him

Reactions: kicksavedave

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
MBN will basically plug into a 4th line immediately (1 year away even) and then work his way up and expand his game as he plays with better players.

His defensive game will get him to the NHL right away. I think of Arturri Lehkkonen there. Established himself with his defense but is much more than that. You might just get a Landeskog or Shane Doan-esque player with him
Not really a fan. He screams permanent 3rd line/2nd line tweener to me. The size and skillet that leaves you wanting so much more but it's just not there. With this prospect pool we need to keep swinging for the fences.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Not really a fan. He screams permanent 3rd line/2nd line tweener to me. The size and skillet that leaves you wanting so much more but it's just not there. With this prospect pool we need to keep swinging for the fences.
If this draft was 5 to 10 years ago probably would have a less of a problem with the pick but we need to go upside still, imho. We haven't even hit true rebuild time so if they can develop some higher end prospect ahead of time the quicker the rebuild.

Reactions: Calicaps

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
looking at who could be avaliable at 17, i’m not really sold on the upside of anyone who could be there, especially if its tankathon’s top 16 that goes in that order
like id probably go one of sennecke/parasack/kiviharju if that’s how it went

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
That could be his outcome no doubt but he strikes me more of a safe floor but also high upside play.

A middle six player is also pretty decent outcome anyway at pick 17

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think it's hard to discount his maturity, reliability and some of the very strong analytics he produced (as @pman25 has posted). I don't think he's just a generic plugger middle sixer any more than Leonard was. He's not as physical or dynamic but for a team nearing a transitional state they could do worse than adding such reliability. It's a fair outcome at 17. It's not ideal but they could do worse. Swing for the fences but don't wear beer goggles. A Burakovsky or Vrana type whose skill level far and away defines them will also not only struggle to realize their ultimate upside but also struggle to gain a coach's trust. It's a delicate balance that isn't such a no-brainer. The Caps need headliners to be sure but also can't get sucked into moonshots more out of desperation largely because of current circumstances. Leadership capacity and reliability are important attributes and should be distinguishing factors in some close decisions.

The most interesting storyline in this draft is where Eiserman ends up going. If he interviews well with them and they think he's a worthy post-Ovi goal-scoring target I have little problem moving up a bit to land him. Some may be put off by this player type these days but the Caps are used to it and will soon need it. They're probably not going to be in a better position to add such a raw goal-scoring talent barring a year of suck (which ideally ought to net more of a foundational C/D instead). For him I'd be more willing to overlook the concerns compared to Connelly.

After the top 14 group my final list is probably going to be Solberg, MBN and Hage. I'd sooner bet on those three than anyone else left in this class. But the obvious play is probably to try trading up a few spots for whoever starts sliding from the top group. That's probably Eiserman or maybe Yakemchuk, though I'm not sure Yak makes it past the Sharks at 14.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
To me, the biggest organizational need is clearly a play driver from the backend.

Given the seemingly well-defined tiers, I doubt a trade-up is a possibility, but if any of Parekh, Yakemchuk, or Buium fall, I think they have to be the pick. Who'd be next in that mold? Kiviharju/Mews/Hutson?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Brock's OHL top 10.

Solberg or Jiricek are probably the best play driving back-end options after the top group...albeit more in the sense of being solid/efficient and having the mobility to attack up ice and recover. Both can do some things offensively here and there but likely aren't PP1 types without considerable development. The smaller three mentioned could in time develop into solid D but they present more risk, less obvious pure upside and some aren't necessarily better bets than Sandin.

They've got to stick to BPA and probably should think about moving up as the likely best play to maximize the value of some of their extra 2/3s. A full-on reload making use all of the picks could work but there's such a need for elevating top-end talent. They could use it at any position and at 17 I'd wager it's most likely a winger and perhaps Eiserman (though they may need to move up a couple spots at least).

I'm a huge fan of Leonard but he's going to need running mates at his skill level and pace or better. They could cobble together more of a deep blue collar core but even that's going to take quite a few hits more clearly in the direction of size, mobility, anticipation and 1v1 battles.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
To me, the biggest organizational need is clearly a play driver from the backend.

Given the seemingly well-defined tiers, I doubt a trade-up is a possibility, but if any of Parekh, Yakemchuk, or Buium fall, I think they have to be the pick. Who'd be next in that mold? Kiviharju/Mews/Hutson?
KIvi is what a 5'10 Finish dman that caps will not go with that pick, heh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad