2024 NFL Mock Draft (Discussion thread)

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Damn I was gonna take Manu at 204. Freak athlete that went from on just CFL boards in January to now I'm hearing he has a better chance to be NFL drafted than teammate Theo Benedet thanks to his testing. Very intruding upside, but obviously a project coming from USports and not even the best OL on his own team.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Damn I was gonna take Manu at 204. Freak athlete that went from on just CFL boards in January to now I'm hearing he has a better chance to be NFL drafted than teammate Theo Benedet thanks to his testing. Very intruding upside, but obviously a project coming from USports and not even the best OL on his own team.

I've been missing a chance to take OTs all draft and he did meet with Green Bay on a top 30.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Well we got through 6 rounds anyways, it went really well this year even if we don't quite finish it. Thanks everyone. Since my remaining two picks are near the end of the round I'll do my recaps for each time now cause I'm not sure if we'll get to those picks in the next week.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2024 Draft
26. EDGE Jared Verse, Florida State
57. CB TJ Tampa, Iowa State
89. G Javion Cohen, Miami
92. S Jaden Hicks, Washington State
125. LB Marist Liufau, Notre Dame
220. DT/NT Nathan Pickering, Mississippi State

Fairly limited in number and quality of picks the Buccaneers needed to make everything they could of the picks they had. With the offense being brought back basically intact from a decent 2023 year it was clear the focus early had to be on the D. As they watched arguably the top edge rusher of the draft continue to slide the Bucs made a big push to move up in the draft to grab Jared Verse. Bucs desperately lack a top end pass rusher and figured it would be the perfect fit. Despite the efforts they were unable to move up. Despite that Verse continued to slide until they got one of the steals of this mock at 26, IMO.
Excited about that the focus quickly shifted to CB which has seen Tampa lose many of their starters over the past couple of years. They really needed help here and were quite happy to see conveniently named TJ Tampa sitting around at the end of the 2nd. That's a guy that could help them pretty quickly to help rebuild the secondary.
It came off the rails a bit in the 3rd reaching for a couple of guys in positions they needed to fortify, both a bit of projects but positions they needed an injection of youth and potential. Liufau is a guy who will contribute immediately on ST with some limited potential to help round out the roster before the late round flyers they took.

Overall I'd think coming out with Verse and Tampa would be a win for Bucs, with dealers choice on who they want to come after in the mid and late portions of the draft as they don't have many glaring holes on the team, even if it's just a so-so roster still.

Buffalo Bills 2024 Draft
28. WR Adonai Mitchell, Texas
60. DT DeWayne Carter, Duke
128. CB Elijah Jones, Boston College
134. G Trevor Keegan, Michigan
144. CB Qwan'tez Stiggers, Toronto Argonauts
160. RB Braelon Allen, Wisconsin
163. WR/RET Anthony Gould, Oregon State
189. QB Jordan Travis, Florida State
204. OL Julian Pearl, Illinois

Well the Bills got their guy in the 1st round which was nice. Bills have basically no choice but to go WR in the 1st, so they are taking whatever is there. This selection was made even before the Diggs trade. But Adonai Mitchell is the guy I think most people the Bills are targeting. Big with speed, they are hoping he becomes everything Gabe Davis never quite amounted to. Certainly has some top end potential and couldn't ask for a better situation to walk into than the largely talent deprived Bills WR room. Lots of targets up for grabs there.
In the second Bills addressed their second biggest weakness which is at DT. Of course they still have the great Ed Oliver, but lack anyone to play behind him or even beside him. Carter was far from the Bills first choice at this selection but he has some potential. Should be able to contribute right away on early downs with a need to work with coaches and veteran Ed Oliver on continuing to develop his pass rush profile.
Then the great gaggle of mid round picks began. Cap restrained Bills need depth at most positions around the team so they began by adding a long in the tooth college player in Elijah Jones who should be able to contribute right away even if he has a limited upside. After adding a solid developmental G in Trevor Keegan it was time to start swinging for the fences which they did in the next 4 picks.
Starting with Qwan'tez Stiggers out of the CFL. He has the athleticism to be a starter and is still one of the youngest players available in the draft despite having a year of semi-pro ball (Fan Controlled Football) and a year of pro football (Canadian Football League) experience under his belt. Potential home run pick. Next they went with bruising back Braelon Allen. One he'll form a great combo with speedster/receiving back James Cook, and two so announcers will get confused with Allen/Allen QB option plays. Diminutive WR/Returner Anthony Gould is next. With kickoffs potentially gaining more importance he could be an interesting weapon with potential to develop as a WR as well. Lastly they are taking a shot on a mobile QB to eventually be Josh Allen's backup in Jordan Travis. With all those high risk picks they settled in to take an older backup T/G in Julian Pearl.

Overall I think Buffalo would be happy to get this class. They get a primary target at WR in the 1st, a position of need in 2nd, and a ton of lottery tickets to re-inforce some positions of weakness and give them some extra weapons to use for Josh Allen. Buffalo is in a holding pattern clearing some cap this year and will need to reload next year, and this draft hopefully would give them some tools to pull that off.

Last edited:

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Chiefs mock is wrapped up and overall I’m happy with it:

32 - Ladd McConkey, WR
64 - Kiran Amegadjie, OT
95 - Brandon Dorlus, DT
131 - Ben Sinnott, TE
159 - Nelson Ceasar, Edge
173 - Myles Murphy, DT
221 - Decamerion Richardson, CB

I struggled with my first pick, and if I had to do it over again, I’d probably flip the positions I target at 32 and 64. I think there’s a bigger fall off between the OTs available at the end of the first and second than WR. In fact, I’d probably try to move up in the second and grab a WR in the Wilson/Coleman/Polk tier (and as we near the draft I think that’s the route they may actually go). Having said all that, I think McConkey is a perfect fit in the offense. He lined up all over the formation at UGA and he simply gets open, two things that are invaluable for any team but especially the Chiefs. Reid would draw up all kinds of stuff for him. Not to mention the value he’d add on the scramble drills that make Mahomes such a weapon. For Amegadjie, he seems to be more of a project given his late intro to football but his tape (I’m not going to pretend I watched any Yale football) based on reports seemed positive prior to injury and he’s an exciting athlete for a guy his size. You’re hoping with NFL coaching and practice you’ve got a starting OT for 5-10 years here.

The middle rounds ended up being a lot of d-line, though I’d be fine with that, and thrilled with the Dorlus pick. He’d be a nice complimentary piece to spell Jones immediately with room to grow. The other two guys are more dart throws, but would add to what is a nice group with Jones, Karlaftis, Omenihu, and Danna. They’ve still got Anudike-Uzomah who they took in the first round last year and basically red shirted in the hopper, too. Sinnott at TE is just a solid football player. He can line up all over and do a little of everything, even if he won’t “wow” you with anything. Plus gives you the ability to line up in 3 TE sets with him, Grey and Kelce all on the field. I’d like to see them add to the TE room with a later pick like this. Richardson at 221 is just giving the defensive coaches a toolsy athlete to develop. They’ve shown that they can really develop CBs and it wouldn’t surprise me to see this guy contributing in some fashion pretty quickly especially with Sneed gone.

In all I’d give myself a solid B for this draft. Some things I’d change, but enough to like. There’s some high upside swings at OT and DT, “safer” picks at TE and WE who should be able to help out immediately, and developmental guys at key positions who you hope can contribute at some point. The idea of a pass catching group made up of Brown, Rice, McConkey and Kelce feels like the 99 Rams compared to last year’s group.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Looks like Jha'Quan Jackson got picked twice. Really doesn't matter at this point though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goalie_Bob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad