NFL: 2024 NFL draft discussion thread, Draft begins 4/25 8pm, 4/26 6pm, 4/27 12pm

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sweat draft stock just took hit

Most mocks have him going round 2. So he will drop and get less on his rookie deal. Crazy that kids can’t stay out of trouble before their big days.

Honestly better to be a non first rounder if you don’t go in the first half if the draft. Difference between pick 25 and 35 isn’t a big deal plus going round 2 you don’t have the 5th year option.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Think I'm really warming up to the Cowboys trading down and maybe taking JPJ. Especially if we move Green out to LT. if not, would be a fan of Guyton/Mims. We seem to be destined for a retool/rebuild. May as well go with the high floor.

I've also locked in Jonathan Brooks as our round 2 pick.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Looking more into this draft it’s really shaping into being perfect 1st round for the Bears

& if the top8 goes anywhere close to how it’s being projected Bears can leave the 1st round with

Caleb
+
Blue chip Wr
Or
The best defensive player from the draft
Or
The best Oline player from the draft

& at that point you just can’t trade down, this is a franchise changing 1st round for them and the last time they should be picking high

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Drafting OL at that spot (#9) makes no sense to me

We used 1st round pick on RT last year (Darnell Wright) and have a good young LT (Braxton Jones) already on roster

None of the G's are worth #9 pick nor is Powers-Johnson

For me it's one of Odunze, Nabers or Turner in that spot and if none are available then you trade down a little to try and get 2nd round pick

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Drafting OL at that spot (#9) makes no sense to me

We used 1st round pick on RT last year (Darnell Wright) and have a good young LT (Braxton Jones) already on roster

None of the G's are worth #9 pick nor is Powers-Johnson

For me it's one of Odunze, Nabers or Turner in that spot and if none are available then you trade down a little to try and get 2nd round pick
Odunze hinges on what ATL does at 8. They pretty much seem set to draft Defence, so if someone behind them wants to jump up and give up a 3rd or something, they'd likely consider moving down if they are good taking any of 2 or 3 different Defensive players.

I do expect one of AZ or LAC to trade down. AZ likely prefers to only drop down to 6 with Giants. LAC probably more willing to go down to 11 and Minny. AZ can then get their WR for Murray, while LAC can get 2 first rounders to rebuild their roster after the dead cap charges of their WRs who are now gone.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Holy shite....this draft needs to hurry up. I've now seen 120 different mocks.
There’s only one that matters and it’s this one.

The Bears seem like they’re in line to draft a receiver. The question is how much they value getting more help on defense early.

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Honestly as Bear fan I think they should put 2025 1st on table to try and get back into end of 1st round. Since Bears have Panthers 2025 2nd + own 2025 2nd moving 2025 1st would not be terrible decision IMO

1st =QB Caleb Williams
9th =WR Rome Odunze or WR Malik Nabers (Whoever is available)
Late 1st via trade = EDGE Darius Robinson

Walk away with QB, A young blue chip WR prospect and a young EDGE to lineup opposite Sweat

Last edited:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
There’s only one that matters and it’s this one.
That's why I avoided the mock draft thread. Just over the constant speculation.

1713298505280.png

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Honestly as Bear fan I think they should put 2025 1st on table to try and get back into end of 1st round. Since Bears have Panthers 2025 2nd + own 2025 2nd moving 2025 1st would not be terrible decision IMO

1st =QB Caleb Williams

Walk away with QB, A young blue chip WR prospect and a young EDGE to lineup opposite Sweat
That's a lot to ask of another team unless they have extra draft capital in this draft. You should only do that if you're getting someone who is top 7 or 8 on your board.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

1st =QB Caleb Williams

This isn't a deep draft, but I still can't envision a team moving out of round 1 this year in the late 20's to take a flyer on the Bear's first rounder in 2025. Every team expects their 1st rounder to play.

Your best shot of that is probably AZ with Houston's pick at 27. Especially if they trade back and secure an extra 2nd in this draft or they make the swap with Minny for 11 and 23. Then they'd probably would be ok, moving one of their 3 firsts that they would have to 2025, to spread out contract #2.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
This isn't a deep draft, but I still can't envision a team moving out of round 1 this year in the late 20's to take a flyer on the Bear's first rounder in 2025. Every team expects their 1st rounder to play.

Your best shot of that is probably AZ with Houston's pick at 27. Especially if they trade back and secure an extra 2nd in this draft or they make the swap with Minny for 11 and 23. Then they'd probably would be ok, moving one of their 3 firsts that they would have to 2025, to spread out contract #2.
This isn’t directed at you necessarily, just something I’ve been pondering recently. I wonder what Arizona’s appetite to continue trading down will be. They’ve already got 6 top 100 picks this draft, I could see them being more than happy to just take players at those spots (particularly MHJ at 4 rather than 2 firsts from MIN) and try to speed up a competitive window around Kyler. If they nail this draft they can be a playoff team (or better) sooner rather than later.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This isn’t directed at you necessarily, just something I’ve been pondering recently. I wonder what Arizona’s appetite to continue trading down will be. They’ve already got 6 top 100 picks this draft, I could see them being more than happy to just take players at those spots (particularly MHJ at 4 rather than 2 firsts from MIN) and try to speed up a competitive window around Kyler. If they nail this draft they can be a playoff team (or better) sooner rather than later.
My gut says they only want to drop to 6 from 4 to secure a WR. I don’t see the benefit to going to 11 with Minny as the top 3 WR are then off the board and Bowers at TE probably not a great fit with a short Murray. Can beef up the OL/D at 11, 23, 27, plus their early 2nd but Kyler needs quality weapons. And there is depth on the OL this draft.
If you get quality at a premium position, I think you take it and in this case there is quality at the WR position. If they swap with Minny, they can get a solid OT or a great OG at 11 or a DE/CB. None of the CB are hyped up like Surtain/Horn or Gardner were in the past couple of drafts. Is Turner regarded as good as other DE in recent drafts? 23/27, can get good players if you make the right selections and develop them, but can also end up with meh players.
If the Giants want a QB, then dropping to 6 and adding a 1st in 2025 with maybe a 2nd in 2024 works well for AZ.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
Media especially "Lyin' Mike" continue to show their ignorance on team operations

Harris is sitting in on team meetings and draft interviews but he's not the one pulling the strings. The front office has full autonomy to pick whoever they want.

Contrast this to the reign of Daniel Snyder where front office folks would frquently have their opinions discarded in favor of who Dan and Bruce favored. It's a totally different operation now.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Media especially "Lyin' Mike" continue to show their ignorance on team operations

Harris is sitting in on team meetings and draft interviews but he's not the one pulling the strings. The front office has full autonomy to pick whoever they want.

Contrast this to the reign of Daniel Snyder where front office folks would frquently have their opinions discarded in favor of who Dan and Bruce favored. It's a totally different operation now.

Florio is the worst.

Reactions: John Price

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm in a position I've never been in. The Lions picking at the very end of the draft without the necessity to reach on anyone.
Not as familiar with their roster. Guessing either CB or DL. Unless they need to replace OG Jackson as well. Most likely draft needs for their first few picks.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Lions need to be in on a lot of defense. All kinds of young quarterbacks in the division. Pass rusher and corner. Probably another receiver, too.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Did what I always do and took off work for 1st round

Will be intersting to see who is there at #9 for Bears and what they do

If Odunze is there, they need to pick him, if he is not trade down options should be considered

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
The Lions need to be in on a lot of defense. All kinds of young quarterbacks in the division. Pass rusher and corner. Probably another receiver, too.
Those are my top 3 needs for them. Maybe CB first with Sutton being released. They need some depth at Safety but probably wait until day 3. Still some decent free agent Safeties left too. Oh and draft a kicker late so we hopefully don't have to rely on Badgley again.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Those are my top 3 needs for them. Maybe CB first with Sutton being released. They need some depth at Safety but probably wait until day 3. Still some decent free agent Safeties left too. Oh and draft a kicker late so we hopefully don't have to rely on Badgley again.
Yeah, they definitely need a kicker. Not sure why they cut Riley Patterson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad