GDT: 2024 NCAA Frozen Four National Title (BC vs DU: Championship game 4/13 @ 6pm ET, ESPN2 & ESPN+)

Who will win the 2024 NCAA Hockey Title?

• Boston College Eagles

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Michigan Tech Huskies

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wisconsin Badgers

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Quinnipiac Bobcats

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Michigan State Spartans

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • Western Michigan Broncos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North Dakota Fighting Sioux

• Michigan Wolverines

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • Denver Pioneers

Votes: 24 11.2%
  • Cornell Big Red

• Boston University Terriers

Votes: 29 13.6%
  • Minnesota Golden Gophers

Votes: 6 2.8%

• Total voters

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
Maybe he's playing the heel or taking the villain role.

Maybe he's just a dick.
I honestly feel pretty bad for the kid right now.

He was mercilessly attacked for the trade situation all year even though no one actually knows what happened there. I'm talking grown men coming to campus with signs to heckle him and every single post online mentioning him turning vitriolic. Then the powers that be who vote for the Hobey gave it to the golden boy even though Cutter had a better resume (historic goal-scoring season, beat Celbrini head-to-head 3/4 times, better 200-ft player than Celebrini). And now he not only loses the national title but is going to again get drawn and quartered for making a pretty harmless remark to a reporter.

If he's a villain, he's Two-Face from Batman: they made him that way.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I honestly feel pretty bad for the kid right now.

He was mercilessly attacked for the trade situation all year even though no one actually knows what happened there. I'm talking grown men coming to campus with signs to heckle him and every single post online mentioning him turning vitriolic. Then the powers that be who vote for the Hobey gave it to the golden boy even though Cutter had a better resume (historic goal-scoring season, beat Celbrini head-to-head 3/4 times, better 200-ft player than Celebrini). And now he not only loses the national title but is going to again get drawn and quartered for making a pretty harmless remark to a reporter.

If he's a villain, he's Two-Face from Batman: they made him that way.
Meh. Biased fan here, but it wasn't a harmless quote and it has nothing to do with Flyers fans that he said it. It also has nothing to do with "not wanting players to have personalities." You don't give the other team bulletin board material. Same in the NBA, NFL. And leaning into some villain role because you didn't win an individual award when the obviously more important championship game is about to happen? I don't buy it. And if true, his priorities are in the wrong place.

He may have gotten some serious flack for the trade situation, but the guy comes across as kind of a dick fairly often. As he's a 20 year old soon-to-be multimillionaire, he better get used to having grown men care a lot about whether he wins or loses and how he acts.

Reactions: ameselare

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
Meh. Biased fan here, but it wasn't a harmless quote and it has nothing to do with Flyers fans that he said it. It also has nothing to do with "not wanting players to have personalities." You don't give the other team bulletin board material. Same in the NBA, NFL. And leaning into some villain role because you didn't win an individual award when the obviously more important championship game is about to happen? I don't buy it. And if true, his priorities are in the wrong place.

He may have gotten some serious flack for the trade situation, but the guy comes across as kind of a dick fairly often. As he's a 20 year old soon-to-be multimillionaire, he better get used to having grown men care a lot about whether he wins or loses and how he acts.
I understand where you're coming from. But it's worth pointing out that Cutter has had no issues with his teammates. In fact, he was often pointed to as a leader by example. He also doesn't pick fights on the ice or regularly needle other teams before/after games.

They caught him in a weird moment tonight. The fact that they do the Hobey ceremony the night before the title game is poor planning in my view; he had to go to that event and lose to a guy who plays for his bitter rival less than 24 hours beforehand.

And who knows what the fans were shouting at him on the walk-in to the stadium where they made the players parade through a tunnel of spectators. While you're right that professional athletes have to have tough skin, for one he's not a professional yet. And secondly people have taken it to an extreme with Gauthier and ruthlessly insulted his character as a human being.

So who knows what's going on in his head when you accost him on the way into the game and put a microphone in his mouth before the biggest game of his life and what is likely his final time with his buddies. Still rooting for him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I understand where you're coming from. But it's worth pointing out that Cutter has had no issues with his teammates. In fact, he was often pointed to as a leader by example. He also doesn't pick fights on the ice or regularly needle other teams before/after games.

They caught him in a weird moment tonight. The fact that they do the Hobey ceremony the night before the title game is poor planning in my view; he had to go to that event and lose to a guy who plays for his bitter rival less than 24 hours beforehand.

And who knows what the fans were shouting at him on the walk-in to the stadium where they made the players parade through a tunnel of spectators. While you're right that professional athletes have to have tough skin, for one he's not a professional yet. And secondly people have taken it to an extreme with Gauthier and ruthlessly insulted his character as a human being.

So who knows what's going on in his head when you accost him on the way into the game and put a microphone in his mouth before the biggest game of his life and what is likely his final time with his buddies. Still rooting for him.

I think Cutter is fine. Maybe not happy about losing the award but I'm sure he was focused on the game in front of him. And then I think he was just having some fun in that interview, didn't seem too serious to me. Not a big deal either way.

Reactions: Wieters

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
I think Cutter is fine. Maybe not happy about losing the award but I'm sure he was focused on the game in front of him. And then I think he was just having some fun in that interview, didn't seem too serious to me. Not a big deal either way.
Tell that to the people making sweeping statements about his character and deriving pleasure from him losing because of that comment.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
That's just who Gauthier is. He made some comment this world juniors about the Swedes "ripping the gold medal off our necks" at the U18s a couple years prior, and then they went out and won, so sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. It's a nothing story.

Bodes better for Smith, Leonard and Perreault's chances of returning that they lost imo, "unfinished business" type of thing.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The Denver program is the best ever in college hockey, and they do ur despite not getting the same level of recruits as the other blue bloods.
Less One-and-Dones is helpful too. It's a similar story in NCAA Basketball, if you can get NHL (NBA) players that stay multiple years, you have a great chance against higher-end NHL (NBA) players that are gone before they can legally drink. They call it the "sweet spot" recruiting.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Less One-and-Dones is helpful too. It's a similar story in NCAA Basketball, if you can get NHL (NBA) players that stay multiple years, you have a great chance against higher-end NHL (NBA) players that are gone before they can legally drink. They call it the "sweet spot" recruiting.

100%.

Although in hockey I think it’s can you get a guy to stay three years. Behrens, Shai, Devine, Rizzo and Broz are all juniors - I really think if you can get a core of NHL-draft able level talents to stay for that third year…you’re just gonna be cooking..you’ll have that sweet spot of talent plus experience. Yes, the Pios had Zeev as the freshman phenom plus other good underclassmen but it’s still more of an upperclassman base than BC, UM and BU while not being one of those “average age 24.3” veteran teams that occasionally win it all too.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
About Cutter's quote. Nothing he said was offensive or insensitive. He's playing the heel, and people are literally saying it juices them up and they enjoy the banter. Do we want athletes to be robotic/boring and mumble platitudes whenever asked a question?

If I was Cutter Gauthier and I was just denied an award the day before I think I had every right to after having been harassed by Flyers fans all year, I would lean in to the villain role as well.

It was just a little trash talk to try and rally up his team. Don’t have an issue with it. Trevor Zegras did the same thing in the WJC, I mean he lived up to it by winning gold and scoring.

Cutter didn’t live up to it and has to pay the backlash but it’s hopefully a learning experience for him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I got nothing against John Buccigross, but I think he's a terrible play by play announcer. Puts the accent on all the wrong words in his announcing. He has no gift for announcing. Every time I hear him announcing hockey it hurts my ears.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014

people also tend to forget we're talking about a 19 yr old...i don't particularly care about his comments, but even if you do...were you perfect at 19? maybe that's not your personality, but i'm pretty sure anyone with any self awareness understands if they had a microphone in front of them as often as some of these kids do at 19....there's a pretty good chance something regrettable would have come out.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
anyone with any self awareness understands if they had a microphone in front of them as often as some of these kids do at 19....there's a pretty good chance something regrettable would have come out.

Oh any age.

We don't need to take every comment so seriously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad