Speculation: 2024 NCAA/Europe/Juniors Free Agents

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Any word or rumors on Colin Graf? Seems like the kind of guy a team would take a chance on.

I mean, I imagine GMs would wait until they are out to sign him but still was curious if he was connected to anyone.

Interesting to see teammate Jacob Quillan signed while Graf is still available.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Diminutive Juuso Maenpaa is KalPa's leading scorer in his third full season. He turns 22 in April and could be of interest to team in need of playmaking ability.

KalPa, after finishing seventh in the regular season, has advanced to the Liiga semifinals. In seven playoff games Maenpaa has one goal with eight assists and is the team's second-leading scorer behind Canadiens' draft pick Oliver Kapanen.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Interesting to see teammate Jacob Quillan signed while Graf is still available.

It's not for a lack of suitors, if anything it sounded like Graf had more teams kicking the tires. Some people just make decisions more quickly than others. It's a pretty big decision and there's not that much downside to taking an extra few days. Minnesota-Duluth lost in the championship game in 2017. Alex Iafallo and Hunter Miska signed within a week as undrafted UFAs. Neal Pionk took a couple more weeks before he signed (he might have been considering going back for his junior year).

It's not like normal free agency where the first guy to sign is the more desirable.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
It's not for a lack of suitors, if anything it sounded like Graf had more teams kicking the tires. Some people just make decisions more quickly than others. It's a pretty big decision and there's not that much downside to taking an extra few days. Minnesota-Duluth lost in the championship game in 2017. Alex Iafallo and Hunter Miska signed within a week as undrafted UFAs. Neal Pionk took a couple more weeks before he signed (he might have been considering going back for his junior year).

It's not like normal free agency where the first guy to sign is the more desirable.

Understand this. But ECAC today is not the ECAC of a decade ago - or even when Vesey and Gostisbehere played. Graf's numbers are nice but would take them with a grain of salt.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Mikulas Hovorka is a huge defenseman who played 51 of 52 games for Ceske Budejovice as a 22-year-old and represented the Czech Republic for the first time in the Europe Trophy tournament. Has two years remaining on his Extraliga contract. Any chance he is signed in the future?
On the International... a good Czech poster posted a link saying 11 teams scouted him and that he'll be signing a contract soon! He's obviously a work in progress and it'll be a 2 way contract but the size is tantalizing. Curious if the rumour is true and curious if he ever gets an NHL game in.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
On the International... a good Czech poster posted a link saying 11 teams scouted him and that he'll be signing a contract soon! He's obviously a work in progress and it'll be a 2 way contract but the size is tantalizing. Curious if the rumour is true and curious if he ever gets an NHL game in.

That big and a right shot, I'm surprised it's only 11 teams.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

That big and a right shot, I'm surprised it's only 11 teams.
Yup.. hopefully a good year in AHL and then we'll see what he is. I'd say something like Sustr might be a good goal. Of course, he hasn't signed yet but that really seems imminent based on EP and this link.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Just as a technical point here:
A player his age must be given a 2-year ELC, if I've understood the yearly amount correctly.

In any case, he gets an ELC, which would mean the organization can move him around as they see fit without him having to go through waivers of any sort.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Just as a technical point here:
A player his age must be given a 2-year ELC, if I've understood the yearly amount correctly.

In any case, he gets an ELC, which would mean the organization can move him around as they see fit without him having to go through waivers of any sort.
Thank you and you are 100% correct.

Sorry I meant it differently.

When these guys sign the Czech media always makes it look like 'Blumel signs an NHL contract' and it's technically true but the contracts mean 'enjoy the AHL' and are never 1 way NHL contracts. Old peeve with Czech reporting.lol I just meant he's going to the AHL and may never see the NHL.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Vladislav Syomin drew attention as a possible draft pick due to his size and shot during his junior days with SKA.

After spending three years primarily in the VHL, he found a home in the KHL with Lada as a 25-year-old. He was an assistant captain - playing 64 regular season games and adding three assists in the playoffs.

Signed for one more year. Is he worth pursuing as a UFA?

Reactions: harv33173

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Vladislav Syomin drew attention as a possible draft pick due to his size and shot during his junior days with SKA.

After spending three years primarily in the VHL, he found a home in the KHL with Lada as a 25-year-old. He was an assistant captain - playing 64 regular season games and adding three assists in the playoffs.

Signed for one more year. Is he worth pursuing as a UFA?
Who knows, perhaps in a year, he could

The guy I'm curious to see if he'll get interest in is

He is free and is not contracted a KHL for next season.

His offensive numbers don't leap off the page, but nor did Lybushkin's prior to coming over.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Any word on if T.J. Hughes (U of Michigan) plans to go pro? Can anyone provide insight on how he's looked this year? Looks like he has been pretty good from a stats perspective.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Well, a bit older, but to confirm:
1714141479877.png

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
Watching Liiga finals and I wouldnt be surprised if someone offers Christian Heljanko a contract. Very good chance he's gonna post .930 in the playoffs for third year in a row.

Tappara has been a very defensive team the last two years so I feel like he hasnt gotten enough credit but this year Tappara has a very different playstyle and Heljanko has been saving their asses so many times this playoff run. Maybe he gets a shot to play for Finland at WC.

Undrafted 27 yo, 6'0", 2 time Liiga champion, one time CHL champion and MVP, 2 time Liiga best goaltender

Probably one of his last chances to go to NA due to his age. Raanta was 24 and Niemi was 25 when they left. Both undrafted too.

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
Watching Liiga finals and I wouldnt be surprised if someone offers Christian Heljanko a contract. Very good chance he's gonna post .930 in the playoffs for third year in a row.

Tappara has been a very defensive team the last two years so I feel like he hasnt gotten enough credit but this year Tappara has a very different playstyle and Heljanko has been saving their asses so many times this playoff run. Maybe he gets a shot to play for Finland at WC.

Undrafted 27 yo, 6'0", 2 time Liiga champion, one time CHL champion and MVP, 2 time Liiga best goaltender

Probably one of his last chances to go to NA due to his age. Raanta was 24 and Niemi was 25 when they left. Both undrafted too.
Update: shutout in game 5 to clinch the gold and playoff MVP trophy. Hopefully he gets a shot with Finland.

heljank0.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad