Speculation: 2024 NCAA/Europe/Juniors Free Agents

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Update: shutout in game 5 to clinch the gold and playoff MVP trophy. Hopefully he gets a shot with Finland.

View attachment 861134

Been wondering why he wasn't either drafted or signed for years. I'm sure there is a consensus amongst those paid to evaluate goalies as to some fatal flaws in his game or personality.

But it seems like goalies who have accomplished far less have either been drafted or signed.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Vladislav Tsitsyura of Vityaz had a big jump in points after joining the club from SKA.

He has two years left on his KHL contract. Currently a 23-year-old, is he someone that would be worth signing as a free agent following the 2025-26 season?

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Been wondering why he wasn't either drafted or signed for years. I'm sure there is a consensus amongst those paid to evaluate goalies as to some fatal flaws in his game or personality.

But it seems like goalies who have accomplished far less have either been drafted or signed.

6'0
Euro goalie
Only became a starter in Liiga in his last year of draft eligibility.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
6'0
Euro goalie
Only became a starter in Liiga in his last year of draft eligibility.
Saros isn't a giant either, and as pointed before he's close to the age when Raanta and Niemi got their shot in the NHL.

3 Championships in a row, voted twice (possibly third time coming) as the best goalie in Liiga, was MVP in their CHL victory, now finally got the playoff MVP trophy he was robbed of by a forward scoring at 59.59 last year. Easily the best goalie in europe right now, if someone should get the chance it's him.

Then again he isn't Canadian and doesnt have a history of throwing water bottles to anyone so maybe he goes to Switzerland which is also fine.

You listing "Euro goalie" like it's a bad thing is funny though, wanna make a list of good goalies from Canada vs. Europe from the last 20years?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Saros isn't a giant either, and as pointed before he's close to the age when Raanta and Niemi got their shot in the NHL.

3 Championships in a row, voted twice (possibly third time coming) as the best goalie in Liiga, was MVP in their CHL victory, now finally got the playoff MVP trophy he was robbed of by a forward scoring at 59.59 last year. Easily the best goalie in europe right now, if someone should get the chance it's him.

Then again he isn't Canadian and doesnt have a history of throwing water bottles to anyone so maybe he goes to Switzerland which is also fine.

You listing "Euro goalie" like it's a bad thing is funny though, wanna make a list of good goalies from Canada vs. Europe from the last 20years?

And Saros is one of the very few goalies under 6'1" remaining in the NHL. Most drafted goalies now are 6'2"-6'5". The smaller ones either get drafted late or signed as UDFA.

Euro goalies is not a bad thing, I listed it as they are often drafted late if at all.

I do agree he should get a chance, I was only listing why he probably went undrafted.

Reactions: Guttersniped

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
And Saros is one of the very few goalies under 6'1" remaining in the NHL. Most drafted goalies now are 6'2"-6'5". The smaller ones either get drafted late or signed as UDFA.

Euro goalies is not a bad thing, I listed it as they are often drafted late if at all.

I do agree he should get a chance, I was only listing why he probably went undrafted.
Of all 98 goalies who saw any ice-time this season, Saros is literally the only one under 6ft - which honestly is kind of wild
There were only 8 under 6'1" (Saros, Raanta, Nedeljkovic, DeSmith, Wolf, Levi, Shepard, Greaves - 5 of which played fewer than 25 games this season)

I think what's even more damning is the recent drafting trends

2023: 0 goalies under 6'0" / 1 goalie under 6'1" / 26 goalies drafted (Milic)
2022: 1 / 2 / 20 (Ivanov / Murashov)
2021: 0 / 2 / 21 (Kolosov, Lindbom)

So, likely why he went undrafted, I agree

But, yeah, shorter goalies fair slightly better in free agency
There were 16 goalies imported this past year
0 were under 6'0", but 2 were under 6'1" (Dell, Ungar)

Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

And to think, there was once a time when guys like Chico Resch and Mike Palmateer played in the league at 5' 9".

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net

Fair, i think i misunderstood you, happens when english isnt my first language.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad