CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Hell yeah great fights

Plus Poteria pays the ultimate price for dancing over Shogun’s dead body

I guess Almeida-Volkov isn’t a thing after all

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Going to be a crazy fight. Not sure who to pick, Chimaev is a beast and Rob has shown to be chinny so if he gets caught early it could be bad, but at the same time Chimaev's cardio sucks while Rob can go 5 rounds no problem, and Rob has a good anti wrestling style plus will probably be Khamzat's biggest/strongest opponent to date. Either Khamzat by early finish or Rob by decision.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I think Whittaker beats Chimaev handily. Chimaev doesn't have power for 185, and he won't be able to hold Whittaker down nor keep up with his pace.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I think Whittaker beats Chimaev handily. Chimaev doesn't have power for 185, and he won't be able to hold Whittaker down nor keep up with his pace.
I dunno, I am a huge Rob fan and will be rooting for him in this fight, but I feel like you're selling Chimaev short. DDP was able to win the grappling exchanges with Whittaker, and IMO Chimaev's wrestling is top tier and levels above that, nobody has really had an answer for his grappling thus far. Excluding his flash KO wins, the only fight where he didn't really wrestle a lot was Burns as Chimaev abandoned his game plan and got suckered into a slugfest, plus Burns is dangerous on the ground (even Usman avoided wrestling with him). The way Chimaev took down Usman almost at will, we have never seen anyone else do that.

I also don't know how you can say he doesn't have power for 185, he has heavy hands and we've seen this in his fights plus it's been corroborated by those who have trained with him (e.g. Strickland).

Reactions: I am not exposed

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
If I had to pick today, I think I'd take Whittaker.

I think Chimaev rightfully won against Burns and Usman, but it was by the skin of his teeth in both cases. Whittaker is younger, bigger, and will have 5 rounds on a full camp.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Love the fight. A true test for Khamzat in a five rounder against an actual middleweight.

We'll see about the whole #1 contender part. I don't think you can put him in a title fight when he can't even get into the US and probably other countries.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Love the fight. A true test for Khamzat in a five rounder against an actual middleweight.

We'll see about the whole #1 contender part. I don't think you can put him in a title fight when he can't even get into the US and probably other countries.
Is this visa issue new I know I've seen people talking about it only but the Holland and Burns fights were in the USA in 2022.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I dunno, I am a huge Rob fan and will be rooting for him in this fight, but I feel like you're selling Chimaev short. DDP was able to win the grappling exchanges with Whittaker, and IMO Chimaev's wrestling is top tier and levels above that, nobody has really had an answer for his grappling thus far. Excluding his flash KO wins, the only fight where he didn't really wrestle a lot was Burns as Chimaev abandoned his game plan and got suckered into a slugfest, plus Burns is dangerous on the ground (even Usman avoided wrestling with him). The way Chimaev took down Usman almost at will, we have never seen anyone else do that.

I also don't know how you can say he doesn't have power for 185, he has heavy hands and we've seen this in his fights plus it's been corroborated by those who have trained with him (e.g. Strickland).
I'd say both the Burns and Usman fights were stand up affairs. Chimaev won both 29-28, Burns hurt him, and Usman (IMO) wins that fight if it's five rounds.

I was fully on the Chimaev hype train until the Burns fight. Burns is a good to very good 170 pounder, and he gave Chimaev all he could handle. Whittaker would be considerably favored over Burns.

I'd have to go back and watch but I think an argument could be made that Chimaev got out struck by both Burns and Usman.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Cappelozza is out of his PFL fight on Thursday and got replaced by good ol Blagoy Ivanov
They are once again pairing their worst two divisions for some reason. I am definitely more interested in the tournaments (mainly the other 4 divisions) now that they have top Bellator fighters in them though

Reactions: CDJ

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
I've been hoping for a while that this would be on the Newark card... one stop shop for Khabib is they have Islam and Umar on the same night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad