2024 MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I wouldn't be surprised if it's a long time before we see Khamzat get a title shot. He's going to really have to fight his way into that if he can't fight in the States. The UFC/ESPN aren't going to want to deal with that inconvenience let alone all the press that's going to materialize once the wider media world starts asking why there's a UFC champion who isn't allowed in the states and decide to dig into who his political associates are. I don't care to delve into that stuff but I wouldn't be surprised if Khamzat basically turns into "fun fight in Abu Dhabi/Saudi Arabia" guy only for a few years.

That being said, why would they offer a fight to him they know he can't get to? Is this out of the UFC playbook we've heard about before where contractually they have to offer a certain amount of fights per year regardless of whether it's doable on the fighter's side? So now they've made their "offer" to Khamzat which helps them satisfy their responsibilities under the contract?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I wouldn't be surprised if it's a long time before we see Khamzat get a title shot. He's going to really have to fight his way into that if he can't fight in the States. The UFC/ESPN aren't going to want to deal with that inconvenience let alone all the press that's going to materialize once the wider media world starts asking why there's a UFC champion who isn't allowed in the states and decide to dig into who his political associates are. I don't care to delve into that stuff but I wouldn't be surprised if Khamzat basically turns into "fun fight in Abu Dhabi/Saudi Arabia" guy only for a few years.

That being said, why would they offer a fight to him they know he can't get to? Is this out of the UFC playbook we've heard about before where contractually they have to offer a certain amount of fights per year regardless of whether it's doable on the fighter's side? So now they've made their "offer" to Khamzat which helps them satisfy their responsibilities under the contract?
You're right that it would shine a light on it, but is that really a bad thing? It's not a fun conversation, sure, but these guys should be exposed. Whether the UFC knows that and is trying to avoid it is a fair question, though. Maybe they think if he's champ and/or Trump gets back into office that they would be able to get him into the country in the future.

Just my guess, but it's probably not a "He's not allowed in. Period. End of story." The UFC or Chimaev himself can probably appeal that decision and they were trying to get him cleared for 300, but ultimately couldn't.

Also, regarding Chimaev......👀

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I don’t expect Chimaev to set foot on American soil for a long, long time. His team is trying to spin it like he’s some innocent victim, but there are many Russians in the UFC without these travel issues. He was denied citizenship by Sweden and was previous allowed to, but can no longer enter the US. He earned his situation.

Reactions: CDJ

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
I don’t expect Chimaev to set foot on American soil for a long, long time. His team is trying to spin it like he’s some innocent victim, but there are many Russians in the UFC without these travel issues. He was denied citizenship by Sweden and was previous allowed to, but can no longer enter the US. He earned his situation.

Simple really. Don’t be best friends with one of the worst humans on Earth.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
So they end up having to move 301’s main event to 300. Unless Albazi recovers from his injury by May or the Moreno/Royval winner comes out of that fight unscathed, no clue what they’ll do for 301 now.

Reactions: Bunk Moreland

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
So they end up having to move 301’s main event to 300. Unless Albazi recovers from his injury by May or the Moreno/Royval winner comes out of that fight unscathed, no clue what they’ll do for 301 now.

I expect 301 to be weak because 298/299/300 are all banger main cards. Only so many fights to go around

Reactions: Taytro

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Yeah, I’m gonna need Topuria vs. Yair ASAP.
I don't understand this take really. Yair is 2-2 in the last 4 years with one of those wins coming after Ortega dislocated his shoulder. Excluding that fight Yair is 3-3-1 going back 7 years with his only wins being Jeremy Stevens, Josh Emmett, and that crazy last second elbow on Zombie. His last fight was a title fight where he got finished and hes done absolutely nothing to prove he deserves another one. His career best performance was a loss to Max.

On the other side Ortega only has 1 win in the last 6 years (Zombie again), he shouldn't even be ranked at that point. Beating a guy with 1 win in the last 6 years shouldn't earn you a title fight.

If someone is going to be reused for a title fight it should be Max since he's actually stayed active and won some fights recently (including over Yair) but I'd like to see Ilia's first defence be against someone new like Evloev. He's the most active guy in the top 5 and he's undefeated. I think he could use another top 5 win to secure a title shot but I would prefer to see something new rather than just recycle the guys Volk beat who haven't bolstered their resume since their loss.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Volk is probably going to get a rematch, but Yair needs more than a win against Ortega to be next. I also am not super interested in that fight. It would be great if it stayed standing, but Yair's TDD sucks and Topuria is a beast on the ground as well.

I think Max would be next after the Volk rematch, even if he loses to Gaethje. His resume at 145 is better including a win over Yair, he's a bigger star, and I think it's a more interesting fight. Max's TDD is great, has a legendary chin (unless Gaethje breaks it), and I think his length could give Topuria's boxing heavy approach some issues.

Evloev would be OK, but I dunno. I think he needs more than decision wins against Allen and Ige. Something like Max or the winner of Yair-Ortega. Not only for him to 'deserve' it, but for people to know who he is.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Late to the convo but I have to agree that Hill will likely beat Pereira
Why? Pereira has already beat better fighters, and Hill doesn't bring anything in particular that should cause bigger problems for Pereira than he has already faced at LHW.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't get the confidence in Hill either.

Until he beat 40-whatever year old Glover, he was just another guy in a division that was in shambles. He's going against a world class kick boxer as pretty much a striker only (his next takedown will be his first in the UFC). This will be Pereira's team's second camp studying him, so they will know his game pretty well. And he's coming off a pretty serious injury, arguably too soon and on relatively short notice.

I think he can win, but saying he will win or probably will win is a bit strong to me.

Opening odds have Pereira around a -155 favorite. I think I'd favor him a little more than that even, but pretty close.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Why? Pereira has already beat better fighters, and Hill doesn't bring anything in particular that should cause bigger problems for Pereira than he has already faced at LHW.
Alex is a bit chinny (Jiri was teeing off on him before he got dropped), Hill is a much more powerful and refined striker than Jiri was

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Alex is a bit chinny (Jiri was teeing off on him before he got dropped), Hill is a much more powerful and refined striker than Jiri was
If he was teeing off on him and he didn't go down, doesn't that kinda go against him being chinny?

In his entire combat sports career, he's only been (T)KO'ed 3 times. Izzy, once in kick boxing, and another in kick boxing due to retirement.

When guys are this big and wearing 4oz gloves, of course anything can happen, but I don't know that he's any more susceptible to getting KO'ed than anyone else.

Reactions: Moncherry

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Uh, sure.

Don't see how Pereira is "chinny" either, and as already stated above if he survived being teed off on by a guy like Jiri that's pretty much evidence to the contrary.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't understand this take really. Yair is 2-2 in the last 4 years with one of those wins coming after Ortega dislocated his shoulder. Excluding that fight Yair is 3-3-1 going back 7 years with his only wins being Jeremy Stevens, Josh Emmett, and that crazy last second elbow on Zombie. His last fight was a title fight where he got finished and hes done absolutely nothing to prove he deserves another one. His career best performance was a loss to Max.

On the other side Ortega only has 1 win in the last 6 years (Zombie again), he shouldn't even be ranked at that point. Beating a guy with 1 win in the last 6 years shouldn't earn you a title fight.

If someone is going to be reused for a title fight it should be Max since he's actually stayed active and won some fights recently (including over Yair) but I'd like to see Ilia's first defence be against someone new like Evloev. He's the most active guy in the top 5 and he's undefeated. I think he could use another top 5 win to secure a title shot but I would prefer to see something new rather than just recycle the guys Volk beat who haven't bolstered their resume since their loss.

I didn't say he deserved it, I just want to see it. I love watching creative strikers like Yair fight and on paper that'd be a really fun match up. Yair's likely getting finished but it'll be entertaining while it lasts.

If Max gets by Gaethje then there's no doubt he's next and I love that potential fight too. I just don't think he's beating Gaethje.

I like Evloev and he's good but I feel confident saying there's zero chance Topuria is fighting him next or maybe anytime soon.

Reactions: Taytro

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I didn't say he deserved it, I just want to see it. I love watching creative strikers like Yair fight and on paper that'd be a really fun match up. Yair's likely getting finished but it'll be entertaining while it lasts.

If Max gets by Gaethje then there's no doubt he's next and I love that potential fight too. I just don't think he's beating Gaethje.

I like Evloev and he's good but I feel confident saying there's zero chance Topuria is fighting him next or maybe anytime soon.
I guess you're going to have to wait a little while longer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad