Prospect Info: 2024 Entry Draft Thread - Let's Talk About Picks, Bay-bee

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
more shit then shine. trade up or trade it for immediate help. Any goalies targeted to fall in that area?
Most goalies seem to be in the 3rd round or later. There's a Russian "kid" I mentioned earlier that might go anywhere from the 1st to the 4th round though. He's 21 but just led his team to the championship in the KHL and won the MVP. He also had a .930 save percentage and a GAA close to 2. He's not likely to be a franchise guy...but he might be a steal depending on where he falls to. Probably ready to go in a year or two.

Reactions: tny760 and funky

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Wyatt Johnston went as late as 23rd overall in 2021, but given the Kings’ tendency, they’ll find some underwhelming talent at that position.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Most goalies seem to be in the 3rd round or later. There's a Russian "kid" I mentioned earlier that might go anywhere from the 1st to the 4th round though. He's 21 but just led his team to the championship in the KHL and won the MVP. He also had a .930 save percentage and a GAA close to 2. He's not likely to be a franchise guy...but he might be a steal depending on where he falls to. Probably ready to go in a year or two.
so you're saying he's actually 35?

• Haha
Reactions: SmytheKing

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I wouldn’t mind if they move the pick in one of two ways:

1. Trade down later in the first round to add a second round pick. I have done zero research in this years draft class though. I doubt they do this.
2. They trade the pick (+) for immediate help, which is ok if they are under 23 yrs old.

BUT

What they likely do is move the pick for someone that is 30+ yrs old, with a year left in their deal and doesn’t play in goal or address any of the other gaps in the team.

Given our record if we draft him he will never leave the KHL.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
At this point, I firmly believe that draft picks spent on Russian players by the kings is equivalent to trading them for “future considerations”.

The Slava Voynov curse is absolutely real.
Completely agree. I used to think they are worth a flyer but Russian picks are just a waste. For every Kucherov there are like 400 Loktionovs, Kitsyns, Prokhorkins, Zykovs, etc.

Reactions: Jungle Boy

David Lunch

Apr 11, 2018
At this point, I firmly believe that draft picks spent on Russian players by the kings is equivalent to trading them for “future considerations”.

The Slava Voynov curse is absolutely real.
I’m more surprised every day that goes by where people don’t also bring up Putin and the war as reasons not to draft Russian players at the moment. This is not me moralizing about any individual’s character, beliefs, etc, but the simple fact that Putin continuously escalates his rhetoric that Russia is at war with the west. I could easily see him making some law in the next few years that would ban young Russian players from leaving the country as some patriotic symbolic statement of “protecting the integrity of mother Russia”. I’m not saying this WILL happen, but since (as Yank put it), these draft choices can become 10’s of millions of dollars decisions, why would you risk blowing an investment on a player if there’s someone of similar talent available?

BTW, I’m not trying to start a sidebar, political discussion here — this thought is directly related to potential hockey related decisions.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I’m more surprised every day that goes by where people don’t also bring up Putin and the war as reasons not to draft Russian players at the moment. This is not me moralizing about any individual’s character, beliefs, etc, but the simple fact that Putin continuously escalates his rhetoric that Russia is at war with the west. I could easily see him making some law in the next few years that would ban young Russian players from leaving the country as some patriotic symbolic statement of “protecting the integrity of mother Russia”. I’m not saying this WILL happen, but since (as Yank put it), these draft choices can become 10’s of millions of dollars decisions, why would you risk blowing an investment on a player if there’s someone of similar talent available?

BTW, I’m not trying to start a sidebar, political discussion here — this the thought is directly related to hockey related decisions.

I would say unless the Kings have interviewed them at length and have full confidence, they shoudl pass altogether.

Between being so far across the world on the west coast, our franchise history including current russian prospects, their ongoing conflicts with hockey governance anyway, KHL efforts to retain their own athletes...and, most importantly really, draft philosophy conflicting with franchise vision anyway...what's the point in the Kings wasting a draft pick on a Russian?

I got called racist for bringing this up before but it's stupid. I love Russian hockey--it's creative and often plays on the edge. I just think they clearly don't work here on the other half of a globe in a franchise that sucks a bag of dicks at development/deployment. It's not about anything but hockey decisions and the only ones that have worked here in ages (from draft) are Frolov and partially Voynov. Bless Loktionov for trying though. And all the blueballs from Porkins.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Should be good talent available at 21. There was a delay in some draft preview articles going up but hopefully they'll start going out soon.

Also recorded several U18 games to go along with the others I recorded over the year, so I'm hoping to make plenty more videos, too.

Upcoming articles:
EJ Emery
Terick Parascak
Michael Brandsegg-Nygard
Looking forward to reading your work, KP. This Michael Brandsegg-Nygard player seems like a Kings type player. Solid if unspectacular. Good size, 200-foot player with some power-forward tendencies.

I think I'd rather the Kings try for a home run, but with few picks this draft, they pretty much have to get a hit with this 1st round pick. Even if it's a double.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
I would say unless the Kings have interviewed them at length and have full confidence, they shoudl pass altogether.

Between being so far across the world on the west coast, our franchise history including current russian prospects, their ongoing conflicts with hockey governance anyway, KHL efforts to retain their own athletes...and, most importantly really, draft philosophy conflicting with franchise vision anyway...what's the point in the Kings wasting a draft pick on a Russian?

I got called racist for bringing this up before but it's stupid. I love Russian hockey--it's creative and often plays on the edge. I just think they clearly don't work here on the other half of a globe in a franchise that sucks a bag of dicks at development/deployment. It's not about anything but hockey decisions and the only ones that have worked here in ages (from draft) are Frolov and partially Voynov. Bless Loktionov for trying though. And all the blueballs from Porkins.
I think drafting a goalie or a defenseman out of Russia seems like a better success rate. Completely based on no statistical analysis and only on what tends to happen with NHL players. Forwards out of there, for whatever reason, seem much more hit or miss.

Also, based on actual (light) statistical review, there haven't been a lot of Russians drafted in the NHL over the past decade in the first couple of rounds which is interesting in itself. However, the ones that have, who have played in the KHL, also seem to have been more successful than ones out of their junior leagues.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
any centers under 6’ with good character, who play a 200 foot game, can’t shoot the puck in the ocean but have as Pravda might say “ a still developing offensive game” Preferably in Europe or NCAA bound so that pesky 2 years in major-junior rule can’t get in the way of getting him under the astute tutelage of Nelly and Surf Nutz while their age still ends with “teen” ?

These guys love continuing to go to rotten wells time and time again with all facets of the organization, so that is probably where they look to go again, thankfully Blake is to up against the cap to trade this pick.

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah

Best we can do is let Rachel Bathe interview him and ask him what his favorite color is and does he enjoy being watched while cooking.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
any centers under 6’ with good character, who play a 200 foot game, can’t shoot the puck in the ocean but have as Pravda might say “ a still developing offensive game” Preferably in Europe or NCAA bound so that pesky 2 years in major-junior rule can’t get in the way of getting him under the astute tutelage of Nelly and Surf Nutz while their age still ends with “teen” ?

These guys love continuing to go to rotten wells time and time again with all facets of the organization, so that is probably where they look to go again, thankfully Blake is to up against the cap to trade this pick.
hold up i'll look at the bowling green hockey roster

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
if you were to get a dog, what kind of dog would you get?
I'd be one of those dogs with wheels

images

Reactions: psych3man

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
If possible, I wouldn’t mind seeing us trade back in the 1st round for more picks this year.

I don't think that works this year.

Blake has too many waiver eligible assets.

Unless he wants to gift them on the waiver wire, he needs to use them to trade up and acquire additional picks.

The only caveat is, if Blake is bringing in a new coach, he may want to run the players by him and offer a fresh start to some guys like Kaliyev.

You could even send guys like Helenius and Laferrriere, anyone not waiver eligible, down out of camp before you give non waiver exempt players a chance

before you make room to bring up Laferrier and whoever the coach likes .

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Stian Solberg​

This is the guy we need
Funny you mention him. I literally made a video about him and he's on the list of players to consider for the Kings.

Another one is EJ Emery. I like Emery a bit more - a much better skater and decision-maker in my opinion. Players just can't enter the zone on his side of the ice, and when they do, he's not afraid to lay the body.

But Solberg has the benefit of being a left-shot and is a bit meaner - but there are times he takes himself out of the play. If he learns to pick his spots better, he would have a slightly higher ceiling.

In my opinion, between the two, it's more of a safer pick versus higher upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad