2024 Draft

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I think you could get a 2nd, but 29 for a 2 spot bump probably doesn't feel worth it. Rather make another addition to the pool.
Yeah that's fair. I looked at some historical comparables after posting this one and saw it's probably a bit weighted to the sens unless the flames really want somebody falling to 7.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
The guy on Twitter who's been right before is suggesting Calgary is trying to package their first, Markstrom to move back into the top half of this draft too. Which would be pretty significant.
Sorry, but what does top half mean here? Surely not top-16, because that would be trading down. Canucks first and Markström maybe to move to top-16?

Reactions: viper0220

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
What about... Philly 1st and Risto for Vancouver 1st + ?

Someone to protect Wolf. Also, as a project, I think Huska could do wonders with reclaiming Risto if he's our 2 or 3RD.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
What about... Philly 1st and Risto for Vancouver 1st + ?

Someone to protect Wolf. Also, as a project, I think Huska could do wonders with reclaiming Risto if he's our 2 or 3RD.

Somehow Risto seems to be valued in Philly.

I'd really rather not take on Risto even for the bump. He's Capitalized Not Good.

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Somehow Risto seems to be valued in Philly.

I'd really rather not take on Risto even for the bump. He's Capitalized Not Good.

Fair. I think even Snowy (?) said no to Risto. But I wonder if there's a way that Conroy could pull a deal like this off and convince ownership to pull off this deal because "big hits, tall body, compete, protect mini goalie = good" and then pull off a proper rebuild in this roundabout way. Then if we are successful with him as a project, double win (ie: Kuzmenko/Sharangovich idea).

I honestly see it as a boom/bust idea which might actually break us out of this mediocrity merry go round.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I think Calgary would only move up in the draft if they really feel like there's a player they really, really want and someone ahead of them would 100% pick them.

Then, again, I'd think that that would look like moving into the 5/6 slot versus moving up only two spots.

The guy on Twitter who's been right before is suggesting Calgary is trying to package their first, Markstrom to move back into the top half of this draft too. Which would be pretty significant.
Man last draft nobody was interested in moving picks and I could see it again this time. Would be a good idea though.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Man last draft nobody was interested in moving picks and I could see it again this time. Would be a good idea though.

I could see NJD maybe looking at 29 and a Markstrom for 10.
Big upgrade in net, a while it's a step down in draft, they have a ton of young talent and need to start the process of winning rather than accumulating a bunch of maybes.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I could see NJD maybe looking at 29 and a Markstrom for 10.
Big upgrade in net, a while it's a step down in draft, they have a ton of young talent and need to start the process of winning rather than accumulating a bunch of maybes.

I don't see them wanting the pick vs a roster player worth around that pick. I think it'd have to be a roster player worth around that pick unless they already have an idea on who they could target with that 29OA and then immediately flip that pick for that roster player.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

I dunno. I see a couple teams in the teens that might be tempted. NJ, Buffalo, Isles, Detroit and Minny I could all see move picks to try to get back to playoffs (or stay in them in the case of the Isles).

Vegas I would say normally too, but with them hosting I think they may hang onto it.

LA could make sense, but that's a much smaller bump up to 21.

Might even be a few situations where it could make sense for a late 1st to go for Marky like Ottawa (lol), Philly's pick at 30 or even Toronto.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I'm leery of upgrading the Van pick. A few years from now we'll be grumpy that we didn't hang onto the pick and draft "insert prospect here"
There's going to be a real good prospect still available late 1st. I'd rather try and add more picks.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Markstrom is probably gone but I’m highly doubtful that anyone trades a 2024 1st for a 34 year old goalie in the summer. Especially on the one night when GMs are most deeply in love with the mystery box.

We made a similar trade for Hamonic because we thought we had to and it blew up in our faces

Last edited:

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Markstrom is probably gone but I’m highly doubtful that anyone trades a 2024 1st for a 34 year old goalie in the summer. Especially on the one night when GMs are most deeply in love with the mystery box.

We made a similar trade for Hamonic because we thought we had to and it blew up in our faces
I wonder what Tor would pay for Markstrom? You'd have to think Trev want to upgrade the net.
We'd probably need to take Samsonov back though

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I wonder what Tor would pay for Markstrom? You'd have to think Trev want to upgrade the net.
We'd probably need to take Samsonov back though
I’m not really enthusiastic about what might shake loose from Toronto’s roster. And Tre doesn’t trade prospects unless absolutely necessary. No 2nds for a while, hesistant to trade 1sts, I’m not sure there’s a fit there.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
I'm wondering if there is any sort of quantity vs quality move we could offer to get up to 5.

Sam Morton
Kuznetsov
Dallas 2nd 2024

For

I actually really like Morton, but he was a free wallet. Not sure we have room for both Kuznetsov and Solvoyov

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I'm wondering if there is any sort of quantity vs quality move we could offer to get up to 5.

Sam Morton
Kuznetsov
Dallas 2nd 2024

For

I actually really like Morton, but he was a free wallet. Not sure we have room for both Kuznetsov and Solvoyov

Not even close. If you had 5 would you drop back for that?

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
So we lost out on the upgrade from a 3rd rounder in 2024 to a 2nd Rounder in 2025 when Dallas beat Vegas...

...but we still have the chance for the most possible picks from the conditions of Conroy's trades.

Although we get the 3rd rather than 2nd from Vegas... Dallas remaining alive means they "could" still reach the Stanley Cup Final in which case we receive an additional 3rd. (Grurshnikov, 2nd, 3rd for Tanev in that scenario). Does anyone know what year that 3rd from Dallas would be in?

Also if Vancouver beats Edmonton the 4th rounder becomes a 3rd Rounder.

So we need Vancouver to beat Edmonton (up 2-1 so certainly possible).

Then we need Dallas to beat Colorado (up 2-1 so that step is atleast possible) and then Dallas would need to beat Vancouver in the Semi Finals

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
No, fair enough.

Trying to figure out if quality would be worth moving to get up from pick 9 to pick 5 and what it would take
The players from 3-12ish are all pretty interchangeable for me.

If I’m moving picks and solid prospects I’d rather move up from Van’s pick and try to snag a Connelly in the early 20s

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
The players from 3-12ish are all pretty interchangeable for me.

If I’m moving picks and solid prospects I’d rather move up from Van’s pick and try to snag a Connelly in the early 20s
Yah, I hear this, but Tij should be there at 5 and I'm not sure he will be at 9-12.

I would consider Van first rounder and Rasmus Andersson for #5.

Then we can get Iginla and Catton/Helenius/other Forward or Iginla and a very, very good D.

Reactions: Ainsy01

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Yah, I hear this, but Tij should be there at 5 and I'm not sure he will be at 9-12.

I would consider Van first rounder and Rasmus Andersson for #5.

Then we can get Iginla and Catton/Helenius/other Forward or Iginla and a very, very good D.

Tij will definitely be there at 9.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad