2024 Draft Discussion

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
For me at 15 there's a few DNDs that I'm bullish on

This ranking is so hard and I fear there's a lot of "phony" forward talents but stacked at D, much like the 2012 and 2018 drafts (oh look, we're at that 6 year mark again). I can't really compile a mock but this is who I want, and would stay away from;

WANT:
• Catton - if he falls that far... You take him, and pray to God the cops aren't after your ass for grand larceny. What's jail time in Nevada for commiting a crime like that?
• Sennecke - I believe his upside is very very high, hope other teams get caught up in "need" and he falls to us. Would be the perfect pick
• Brandsegg-Nygard - really really liking him more and wouldn't complain about this player in our system at all for 15th overall. I think he's got underrated offensive upside
• Greentree - banking on the upside but it's a huge boom that we can gamble with taking
• Luchanko - he's a hard one to pin. Really like him and honestly I think the game comes really easy to him and will begin to surprise lots of people next year
• Hage - I like him, not sure what to make of him at the NHL level but would welcome this kind of gamble

AVOID:
• Eiserman - I simply don't see an intelligent goal scorer for a guy already with pro NHL size but mediocre skating and compete
• Connolly - unsure about how his offense translates honestly
• Parekh - I believe his offense doesn't come around to cover for his defensive woes
• Helenius - only because I see middle 6 potential and I don't want that at 15th. He's still a great pick at 16-20

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Like who? Mazur? That's not a bunch. And Mazur can't fire it like MBN.
Well, you were trying to paint this picture that MBN will "drag your team to a win". Which first off, what does that mean? Are you trying to say he is gritty and competitive, because we have a bunch of those types already. Does he have the talent to drag an NHL team to a win? I don't even really know what you are saying with that statement.

I think he is a good athlete, with a plus shot, and eh puck skills. Not really sure that is what this team needs the most. But it wouldn't be the worst thing to add either.

I think Berkly Catton would be the dream pick for us, but I will hold my breath. I'm also curious to know if we like some of these kids from the WHL better than the consensus (Basha, Parascak, Ritchie, etc). I supsect we might.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
That doesn't bother me at all, because I have faith in Danielson. If both can pick up a few pounds then you have a solid second line that can score while being "hard to play against". (Nate is listed at 187, and Hage at 190 so both are already NHL size.)

Besides size, the kid can skate, plays at speed, creates plays, says the right things, and plays with a little grit that everyone seems to want. What more do you want? Besides, most of the people here are looking at wingers anyways.

MBN just reminds me too much of Kasper, just bigger. I'd like to see a pick with more offensive upside.
Raymond Larkin Mazur
Compher Danielson Hage , I think it will be fast and very hard line to play against
Berggren Kasper Rasmussen

Reactions: wings95

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Well, you were trying to paint this picture that MBN will "drag your team to a win". Which first off, what does that mean? Are you trying to say he is gritty and competitive, because we have a bunch of those types already. Does he have the talent to drag an NHL team to a win? I don't even really know what you are saying with that statement.

I think he is a good athlete, with a plus shot, and eh puck skills. Not really sure that is what this team needs the most. But it wouldn't be the worst thing to add either.

I think Berkly Catton would be the dream pick for us, but I will hold my breath. I'm also curious to know if we like some of these kids from the WHL better than the consensus (Basha, Parascak, Ritchie, etc). I supsect we might.

Gritty and competitive doesn't mean unskilled. It means willing to do things that other skill guys aren't.

MBN is a goalscoring winger with very good to great shooting prowess. The wings don't have that in their system and the closest they have to it is Mazur. Maybe Soderblom if he ever pulls his head out of his ass.
He also plays like a modern power forward. The closest the Wings have to that in their system is Kasper who we are confident will be a center.

I think his puck skills are fine. He's not toe dragging junior defensemen like Hage, Catton and others, but he's beating pro level defenders with unspectacular but effective moves. He's bullying grown men as an 18 year old. And he's helping stop opposing teams in transition by providing solid defense and picking pockets in the neutral zone.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
Winged Wheel podcast was talking about Eiserman like he's a guaranteed 40 goal guy in the NHL but I have worries about the guy becoming a real impact player. I get that he broke Caulfield's record at the NTDP but the holes in his game have me worried. How much does he contribute when he's not scoring? And is he even the best shooter in the draft? Because MBN, Greentree and Iginla might have something to say about that.

I think some team takes him in the top 10 based on his numbers being on par with guys like Boldy, Zegras, Caulfield. I'm not sure he'll match their production in the NHL right away.
I guess in the same season as Zadina. It is really unfortunate that WWP is still the most successful Red Wings podcast - i stopped listening to them all together because it is basically unbearable. Their draft takes are the worst, statwatching mixed with Wheeler's pre-season draft rankings. I think if you reading hfb posts out loud you will create a better content, even if you don't ignore shanahanman

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I guess in the same season as Zadina. It is really unfortunate that WWP is still the most successful Red Wings podcast - i stopped listening to them all together because it is basically unbearable. Their draft takes are the worst, statwatching mixed with Wheeler's pre-season draft rankings. I think if you reading hfb posts out loud you will create a better content, even if you don't ignore shanahanman

I like WWPC but yeah, their draft takes have been atrocious. Their guests like Bultman, Prashanth and Daniela Bruce are good, and I like their postgame takes but their draft talk is notably bad.

Reactions: Realgud

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Gritty and competitive doesn't mean unskilled. It means willing to do things that other skill guys aren't.

MBN is a goalscoring winger with very good to great shooting prowess. The wings don't have that in their system and the closest they have to it is Mazur. Maybe Soderblom if he ever pulls his head out of his ass.
He also plays like a modern power forward. The closest the Wings have to that in their system is Kasper who we are confident will be a center.

I think his puck skills are fine. He's not toe dragging junior defensemen like Hage, Catton and others, but he's beating pro level defenders with unspectacular but effective moves. He's bullying grown men as an 18 year old. And he's helping stop opposing teams in transition by providing solid defense and picking pockets in the neutral zone.
I think you made some good points here. Again, I think some of it is just preference and then how much upside you think is there.

I was thinking he is similar to Mazur, but hopefully a better version, and we could use a player like that. It is part of why I was hoping for a guy like Toffoli at the deadline.

I like WWPC but yeah, their draft takes have been atrocious. Their guests like Bultman, Prashanth and Daniela Bruce are good, and I like their postgame takes but their draft talk is notably bad.
Props to them on their success, but yeah I don't get the appeal. Their takes are not the best and they are just random dudes.

Their interviews are the only thing I turn it on for.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I think you made some good points here. Again, I think some of it is just preference and then how much upside you think is there.

I was thinking he is similar to Mazur, but hopefully a better version, and we could use a player like that. It is part of why I was hoping for a guy like Toffoli at the deadline.

Mazur is a guy that reminds me of a more physical Connor Garland, or a more defensively responsible Tyler Bertuzzi.
MBN reminds me of a plus level Krouse, or maybe a bit like Meier. And I think he's better defensively than both already.

Obviously we want to pick the next Larkin, Pastrnak, Johnston, Aho, Robertson with our mid/late 1st but I just don't think that's going to happen this year and that this draft is pretty weak. In lieu of the team trading their 1st this season I'd rather them use it on a guy like MBN who seems like he could safely be a 50 point 2-way guy. Potentially better if we see him with a center that brings out the best in his game.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Probably hated it like most.

Of course, I remember the 2018 draft and how the national pundits all loved that draft for the Wings. Everyone of them gave the Wings an A for that draft. I thought, sweet, this rebuild won't be so hard.

Ooof.

Reactions: Realgud

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023

I am not taking a mother f***er named Berkly Catton, let alone thinking it’s a dream pick. There is no chance

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Doesn't have same shot
Cuz he's a lefty. Kasper has a shot, moving him to wing might force him to use it a bit more.

The question will be where does Marco provide the most value. As a crash and bang winger with hands or as a 200' center that's reliable.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Uhm I specifically remember Ryan calling the pick and being happy, but yes Brad not so much lol
In entire organization, how many good playmakers do we have. I only know Raymond , Berggren and ASP, rest is just grinders.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

LOL, sure if you wanna consider 8 goals in HockeyAllsvenskan as something spectacular. It's as much of a pro league as the ECHL, look team leader Chad Yetman's stats in both leagues.

I like his size, but that's about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad