2024 Draft Discussion

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
A center and a left wing..... Thanks in advance Stevie Y.

Hows he getting both ? Lol I wouldnt opposed to it .... who do we even have that fetch 1st?? Walman?

Vegas is someone who might part with the pick especially if they want to shed salary to keep marchessault which they should.

Grab the 1st and karlsson and then flip a 2nd for someone to eat 2 mill so he comes in at 4 and we have a 2c. No idea what the cost would be but ship them a 2nd and gibson or something

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
ASP was an undersized offensive defenseman who slid because of defensive concerns. My point was ASP’s defensive concerns are nothing compared to Perekh. And ASP is stronger physically.
I agree that ASP is better defensively. At the same time, I think Perekh is better offensively. Like I said, I think he is long gone before 15. The rink has three zones and he is really good in two of them.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Like mbn , he was one of my picks and I wouldbt be mad but More I think about it More I want someone with top line upside

Enough with just 2 way hockey we need a forward with elite skills
Those 18 years old , who knows how they progressed overtime.
I will not be surprised if Yzerman takes RHD , if he believes that he is top line player

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Rhd? Right handed d man? I'm throwing my shoe at the TV if he takes a dman
I expected Zegras , when we got Seider, have never thought we take him.
Edvinsson was possible option, I expected Eklund.
I had about 5 guys we should take last draft and non of them Danielson. Who knows what Yzerman thinks.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I had about 5 guys we should take last draft and non of them Danielson. Who knows what Yzerman thinks.

Out of all of Stevie's draft picks, Edvinsson was the most predictable when he was still available at #6. The only reason why some people didn't pick Ed was because they didn't think he'd be available.

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
You also need to keep in mind that eligability rules changed since Bure was drafted. In the end you need to provide evidences that a kid is eligable, which Vancouver did - back in time number of games played was part of the criteria. Basically if Red Wings were to draft any player not considered to eligable they need to show that he is eligable, by providing evidences that player was actually born earlier then it was assumed previously or forfeiting the pick otherwise. I prefer them to draft somebody, maybe even somebody's kid before literally throwing a pick away.

But you can continue to spread conspirancy theories on how draft eligability work and how rules do not matter.

PS Panthers actually argued that leapyears should be considered as a year and an additional day, so couple of day till cutoff would actually be covered.
I didn't mean to suggest any conspiracy, but rather that Detroit didn't do their due diligence. Because it obviously worked out for Vancouver.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Out of all of Stevie's draft picks, Edvinsson was the most predictable when he was still available at #6. The only reason why some people didn't pick Ed was because they didn't think he'd be available.
Actually Raymond was the most predictable, Edvinsson was second. Anyway he should take the best available player

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Hows he getting both ? Lol I wouldnt opposed to it .... who do we even have that fetch 1st?? Walman?

Vegas is someone who might part with the pick especially if they want to shed salary to keep marchessault which they should.

Grab the 1st and karlsson and then flip a 2nd for someone to eat 2 mill so he comes in at 4 and we have a 2c. No idea what the cost would be but ship them a 2nd and gibson or something

As I said, I was using Bob M. rankings as how I HOPED the draft would go. In his rankings neither are top 15. Draft Hage at 15 and trade up as stated to grab Greentree. In some rankings, they are flipped. Same idea. Again, you can LOL all you like but I was replying to the rankings presented. I will say again, I hope the draft goes EXACTLY as Bob McKenzie ranks them. In that specific scenario BOTH are available. Package the #2 and one of Wallinder, Johanssen, Buium, maybe even Johnny Burger to move up.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
I didn't mean to suggest any conspiracy, but rather that Detroit didn't do their due diligence. Because it obviously worked out for Vancouver.

Not really a lack of due diligence by Detroit, just not quite enough diligence to overcome NHL incompetence. It's kind of an epic story in NHL scouting history and not sure I have all the details right. Basically, the NHL had listed Bure with not enough games to be elgiible for a post-third round pick, but the Wings were prepared to draft him anyway even if it was later declared invalid. Vancouver was only aware of Bure's necesary extra eligible game because of scout Mike Penny, who while in Europe got a tip from a friend that Bure was with a touring Soviet Senior team playing an exhibition game. Can't remember all the details of that trip but IIRC there was a huge snowstorm where the game was (Finlland?) and Penny was the only NHL scout there. He later noticed the game he was at had not been included in the list of games the NHL had Bure participating in. That game sheet was the proof that validated the pick.

Even if Detroit had picked Bure a round earlier, without the evidence that apparently only Penny knew existed, they might never have been able to prove Bure was in fact eligible. Of course, all they had to do was pick him in the third round and there would have been no problem.

Reactions: Astyanax

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023

You can say that for any draft lol I pushed hard for months for raymond and kasper and he took them. Other times didnt ... we can never know 100% what any gm will take except the #1 pick

I just know we need elite talent upfront I'm not wasting a top 15 pick and possible trade up for a dman. We have seider and edvinsson ... pelikka buium wallinder Gibson johanson in the pipeline,free agency and trades

No ones trading you a top line forward and those barely make it to free agency. Draft a potential forward line guy

As I said, I was using Bob M. rankings as how I HOPED the draft would go. In his rankings neither are top 15. Draft Hage at 15 and trade up as stated to grab Greentree. In some rankings, they are flipped. Same idea. Again, you can LOL all you like but I was replying to the rankings presented. I will say again, I hope the draft goes EXACTLY as Bob McKenzie ranks them. In that specific scenario BOTH are available. Package the #2 and one of Wallinder, Johanssen, Buium, maybe even Johnny Burger to move up.

Cant see anyone taking pick 47 and berggren for pick 17. What do I know

Reactions: lilidk

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Forgot the lottery was tonight lol .... so help me god if hawks win again,ducks also have a nice talent pool already so f*** them

Habs and sens in our division no thx

The year I wouldnt mind the last place team to win since it wont affect the wings with them being a shitshow and playing in the west is the year the hawks win back to back or habs win so I can hear local idiots run they're mouths nonstop

Sharks,utah,seattle for the win

Fyodorov

Apr 20, 2021
I think it would be insane if Demidov was there at 5 regardless of if the Wings moved up, but I guess you never know after Michkov last year

Reactions: lilidk

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
supposedly after being told no in the 5th the Wings were planning on doing just that in the 6th and selecting him and settling the eligibility later but Vancouver picked 3 picks earlier

the funny thing about that whole Bure situation that looks pretty silly with how it all turned out is that all that eligibility stuff was only for drafting him after the 3rd round, any team in the league could have drafted him in the first 3 rounds even without those extra games Vancouver found proof of but nobody wanted to use a 3rd round pick on him let alone a 2nd or 1st

I mean, given the rest of the 1989 draft and assuming we're not passing on Bob Boughner for anyone... I'm okay with our legendary haul from that draft.

I mean, I'm not taking Bure over Lidstrom and I'm not taking Bure over Fedorov.

We got, at minimum, three Cups out of that draft class.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
But for the draft. BPA without planning to move up or down.

We don't need to move down because we are kinda crammed in the minors as it is so extra capital doesn't have the appeal it normally does. Looking at the ASP signing thread on the main board... the poster I respect a ton, Petes, went in depth on moves that will be necessary in coming years because we've signed ASP, Gibson, and others on the back end. Yeah, more picks are better, but I'd rather consolidate quantity into better players currently.

And I simply don't know enough to champion moving up to grab someone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad