Speculation: 2024 deadline candidates

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
That’s a lot of ifs though.

We’ll see how his season goes. I’ll definitely hope for a first, for now he’s a good veteran to have around the team and sets the right exemple for younger players.

It’s seems like they want him next to Dach, probably to help on faceoffs, so he’ll opportunity to produce. I do hope they try Slafkovsky with them. He had some success with Monahan and he could look good next to Dach.

It is a lot of ifs, but it's not out of the question. He's worth it if he's healthy and productive.

Reactions: MadMslm

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
Monahan - If in a 50 point pace a late first it or 2nd/5th
Pearson- 3rd with retention or a fourth if on a 15 goal pace

Armia- if on 30 points pace 3rd with retention
DVorak- if on 40 point pace 2nd with retention
Savard- if playing 20 plus minutes a 2nd with retention

issue is Montreal has only one retention spot

#1A: Pearson* or #1B : Monahan
#2A : Dvorak or #2B : Monahan**
#3 : Lindstrom and/or Kovacevic***

* If salary retention is required to obtain worthwhile assets - likely! - the Habs should prioritize retaining on Pearson rather than Dvorak; the latter can be traded with retention next summer whereas Pearson will be UFA.

** Unless a rejuvenated Monahan fetches a 1st round pick at TDL 2024, the Habs should try to trade Dvorak, without retention, by accepting a higher AAV expiring UFA contract as a cap dump. He could also be bundled with a young D who doesn’t fit the emerging core to optimise the return.

*** Cheap depth Ds could prove valuable in the current cap crunch ; to say nothing of the fact that the Habs could use the post-TDL period to further develop their young RHDs.

I can’t see Armia being move unless the Habs involve an unreasonable incentive.

As for Savard, he’s a prime candidate for a TDL move, but his optimal window is next year, when he can organically take over Edmundson’s retention spot.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I hope Roy continues to play as he has been playing and that he makes the team out of camp.

I think that the current experiments for the lines are very interesting, allowing all players to continue to develop, with a few tweaks because I doubt that Beck, for example, won't be sent back to Juniors to dominate the way Suzuki had before joining theNHL for good.

Caufield - Suzuki - XXX (Pearson, Ylonen, Heineman?)
Mona-Hab - Dach - Roy
Slafkovsky - Newhook - Anderson
RHP- Dvorak - Gallagher
Pearson, Ylonen, Armia

Personally,I would go with Heineman to start the year, but if that experiment fails, I would go with Pearson, to add some defensive awareness and some physicality.

Last option would be Ylonen, but I'm far from convinced that would work.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Praying someone is dumb enough to trade for Gallagher, I can’t take it anymore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad