Nova Scotia
Visit site
Monahan - If in a 50 point pace a late first it or 2nd/5th
Pearson- 3rd with retention or a fourth if on a 15 goal pace

Armia- if on 30 points pace 3rd with retention
DVorak- if on 40 point pace 2nd with retention
Savard- if playing 20 plus minutes a 2nd with retention

issue is Montreal has only one retention spot
Monahan, very possible fetch something nice 1st or 2nd....
Dvorak maybe....
Savard maybe...
Pearson maybe...
Armia has he scored 30 pts in the last 2-3 seasons combined? Waiver material...

The one retention spot will cause us some troubles, but Monahan only makes 2M so no worries there.

Let's revisit this, around the halfway point of the season.

Reactions: Redux91

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Monahan - If in a 50 point pace a late first it or 2nd/5th
Pearson- 3rd with retention or a fourth if on a 15 goal pace

Armia- if on 30 points pace 3rd with retention
DVorak- if on 40 point pace 2nd with retention
Savard- if playing 20 plus minutes a 2nd with retention

issue is Montreal has only one retention spot
I think that Montreal will not be selling much at the deadline, but the large amount of cap space will enable the team to take on expiring contracts from contenders needing to free up cap space for acquisitions in exchange for assets. The same holds true if they want to move a player, instead of retention they can take back contracts.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
The big one seems to be Monahan. Same plan as last season, rebooted.

At some point we’ll have to sell high on Matheson, maybe a team blows your socks off with an offer.

Guessing D-Vo might interest a team but he’ll miss a third of the season.

Savard I like but I don’t think the value coming back would be enough to make a move.

Talik Sanis

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
Sorry, but the reality is that Armia and Dvorak are utterly untradable at this juncture because they are fourth line players being payed well in excess of their talents over multiple years.

Monahan and Savard might be moved for second round picks, but nothing more than that for rentals.

Reactions: EXPOS123

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
For sures:
Pearson
1 of Evans/Ylonen

Probable:
Monahan
Armia (wont get anything but should be gone)
Lindstrom
DVo

Possible:
Anderson
Savard
Kovacevic
Allen
Norlinder

Not likely:
Barron or Harris or Xhekaj (1)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Matheson is the big fish, it would set up the franchise for a good while if they traded him.

Monahan and Dvorak could get a late 1st/early 2nd. I expect Pearson gets a 3rd if he can stay healthy and be relevant.

Jul 6, 2016
Matheson is the big fish, it would set up the franchise for a good while if they traded him.

Monahan and Dvorak could get a late 1st/early 2nd. I expect Pearson gets a 3rd if he can stay healthy and be relevant.
Yeah, let's trade all out good players and finish bottom 5 for another decade.

koivu2k1

Oct 1, 2017
I assume by good players you refer to Matheson and not the rest, because the other guys are trash, we would be lucky to get a 2nd or 3rd for any of them, I would be down to trade Matheson for the right offer, were loaded on LD

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Why bottom 5? Trade Matheson for a guy thats about to make the NHL. Would you trade Matheson for a guy like Guhle last year? Like Dach? Thats what Id look at. Say Alexander Holtz, Ryker Evans or some of that calibre. Not a first round pick for sure but a 19 yo +.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Sorry, but the reality is that Armia and Dvorak are utterly untradable at this juncture because they are fourth line players being payed well in excess of their talents over multiple years.

Monahan and Savard might be moved for second round picks, but nothing more than that for rentals.

Dvorak will not be untradable.

His salary is not that bad at all with a cap rising up and a contending team looking for actual proven depth down the middle.

Centers at trade deadlines move.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I am good keeping Moneyhands at this point. He is a nice veteran presence and can line up anywhere in the forward lineup.

Armia, Dvorak, Gally, Pearson and Savard are all great trade bait.

**Gally if he can show any sense of still having a pulse***

Reactions: HABitual Fan

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
I am good keeping Moneyhands at this point. He is a nice veteran presence and can line up anywhere in the forward lineup.

Armia, Dvorak, Gally, Pearson and Savard are all great trade bait.

**Gally if he can show any sense of still having a pulse***

If Monahan somehow remains healthy and open to a reasonable midterm contract, I’d look to trade Dvorak with retention this TDL; the latter indeed seems like the best candidate for the Habs’ last salary retention spot this year.

If Dvorak finds no taker at a reasonable price - recoup at least a 2nd round pick from this devastating « investment » - the salary retention should be either use in a Pearson trade or to facilitate a 3-way deal, whichever fetches the most valuable asset.

One of Kovacevic/Lindstrom should also be traded by TDL, if only to make room for developing ELC/RFA RHD.

Armia and Gallagher are clearly untradable without paying unreasonable incentives.

Savard’s a great candidate for TDL 2025, so would be Dvorak if he can’t be traded this year.

Reactions: waitin425

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
I could be wrong, but I don’t see a GM using a first round pick on Monahan.

If he has a good year, there will definitely be GMs interested in him but first round picks have become the prime asset of deadline acquisitions.

And with his injury, would a Gm really use a pick this valuable on a player that could get hurt at any moment.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I could be wrong, but I don’t see a GM using a first round pick on Monahan.

If he has a good year, there will definitely be GMs interested in him but first round picks have become the prime asset of deadline acquisitions.

And with his injury, would a Gm really use a pick this valuable on a player that could get hurt at any moment.

If he avoids injury all year long, then they could.. what's a late 1st round pick to a contender when they are looking to add down the middle?

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
If he avoids injury all year long, then they could.. what's a late 1st round pick to a contender when they are looking to add down the middle?

2016-2017 : Wrist surgery
2017-2018 : Wrist surgery, groin operation and 2 herniated discs
2018-2019 : Cracked thumb
2020-2021 : Left hip surgery
2021-2022 : Right hip surgery
2022-2023 : Foot injury and groin operation

It would be extremely surprising if he was able to avoid injuries. Not impossible but his body has been broken for a while now.

Last year I could see it, this year I don’t think he’ll get a first. Late first round picks might not be much for a contender but usually it’s main trading chip they have. Why use it on a player that can’t stay healthy or could break down before the playoffs even start ? That’s a risk I wouldn’t take as GM unless it was a last second decision because of injuries or missing out on an other player.

Maybe if Monahan stays healthy and produce over expectations a team could take that gamble (depending on circumstances).

If he’s traded I’m expecting a package around a 2nd round pick or including multiple picks.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
2016-2017 : Wrist surgery
2017-2018 : Wrist surgery, groin operation and 2 herniated discs
2018-2019 : Cracked thumb
2020-2021 : Left hip surgery
2021-2022 : Right hip surgery
2022-2023 : Foot injury and groin operation

It would be extremely surprising if he was able to avoid injuries. Not impossible but his body has been broken for a while now.

Last year I could see it, this year I don’t think he’ll get a first. Late first round picks might not be much for a contender but usually it’s main trading chip they have. Why use it on a player that can’t stay healthy or could break down before the playoffs even start ? That’s a risk I wouldn’t take as GM unless it was a last second decision because of injuries or missing out on an other player.

Maybe if Monahan stays healthy and produce over expectations a team could take that gamble (depending on circumstances).

If he’s traded I’m expecting a package around a 2nd round pick or including multiple picks.

It would be surprising but there's also tons of players who get the surgery and rehab then don't have any more issues. If he's fully healthy the whole season, the bets are off.

As to why they would? Well, how many cromulent, proven NHL centers do you think are available at the trade deadline? It's ALWAYS a position contenders are looking to fill and there's very rarely enough to really fit in.

If he's healthy all year and the market is thin on centers, then a late 1st is not a bad move for a team that's primary focus is help down the middle.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
And then complain ad nauseam about the players they draft using the assets accumulated from those trades…

If Monahan somehow remains healthy and open to a reasonable midterm contract, I’d look to trade Dvorak with retention this TDL; the latter indeed seems like the best candidate for the Habs’ last salary retention spot this year.

If Dvorak finds no taker at a reasonable price - recoup at least a 2nd round pick from this devastating « investment » - the salary retention should be either use in a Pearson trade or to facilitate a 3-way deal, whichever fetches the most valuable asset.

One of Kovacevic/Lindstrom should also be traded by TDL, if only to make room for developing ELC/RFA RHD.

Armia and Gallagher are clearly untradable without paying unreasonable incentives.

Savard’s a great candidate for TDL 2025, so would be Dvorak if he can’t be traded this year.
Dvorak is gonzo IMO, it’s a question of does it happen 1-2 months into the season when the Bruins look to swing a deal for C or later at trade deadline

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Monahan, Savard, Pearson are probably the most tradeable assets.

Anderson is a 50/50 toss up. Might need another team to facilitate the cap.
Dvorak's value will depend on the season he has. He is tradeable, but he will have to perform.
Armia is very very unlikely without adding value to get rid of him.
Gallagher is unmoveable.
Kovacevic might be traded if some team overpays.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Monahan, Savard, Pearson are probably the most tradeable assets.

Anderson is a 50/50 toss up. Might need another team to facilitate the cap.
Dvorak's value will depend on the season he has.
Armia is very very unlikely without adding value to get rid of him.
Gallagher is unmoveable.
Kovacevic might be traded if some team overpays.

Evans is a dark horse, as well. Cheap 4C who can play both sides of the puck.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
It would be surprising but there's also tons of players who get the surgery and rehab then don't have any more issues. If he's fully healthy the whole season, the bets are off.

As to why they would? Well, how many cromulent, proven NHL centers do you think are available at the trade deadline? It's ALWAYS a position contenders are looking to fill and there's very rarely enough to really fit in.

If he's healthy all year and the market is thin on centers, then a late 1st is not a bad move for a team that's primary focus is help down the middle.

That’s a lot of ifs though.

We’ll see how his season goes. I’ll definitely hope for a first, for now he’s a good veteran to have around the team and sets the right exemple for younger players.

It’s seems like they want him next to Dach, probably to help on faceoffs, so he’ll opportunity to produce. I do hope they try Slafkovsky with them. He had some success with Monahan and he could look good next to Dach.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad